Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bought a clutch mech – still need a Stinger?
  • bails

As per the title, I’ve currently got a C456 with 2×9 speed SRAM and a Blackspire Stinger.

I’ve got a new frame and will be changing to an SLX 10 speed Shadow+ clutch mech (and changing shifters, cassette etc). So, for fairly ‘normal’ riding (no hucking, stokage, or gnar-shredding, just riding a bike up, down and across stuff with the odd bit of wheels-off-ground fun) does the clutch mech make the Stinger redundnant?

jairaj

Yep just a clutch mech should be enough to stop the chain coming off. I was surprised how much the chain stopped moving and the lack of chain slap noise.

Shifting is much smoother too, guessing that’s because the chain is more stable so the ramps and pins on the rings can do their stuff better?

ska-49
    Free Member

I’m running 2×10 with a x9 type 2 (same as shimano clutch) and a x7 front mech. No dropped chains despite some ‘radcore’ stuff on a HT. Lovely smooth shifting with minimal drag. Love it! No way will I be running a lower roller ever again.

legend
    Free Member

I’m in the process of making the same change. Just going to remove the roller for the first few rides then, assuming all goes well, remove the backplate.

How are you bodging the mech? Proper spacer made up or just some washers?

Northwind

I took the stinger off mine- well, just the roller at the moment from laziness- and no probs so far.

bails

Thanks all, sounds positive.

How are you bodging the mech? Proper spacer made up or just some washers?

I’m going to a proper 10 speed setup, so no need for the spacer.

legend
    Free Member

oh aye, in standard STW style I didn’t read your first post properly 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bought a clutch mech – still need a Stinger?’ is closed to new replies.