Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bottom Brackets – advice appreciated
  • neil853
    Free Member

So, I’ve tried a few now. Had a Hope stainless that lasted about 2 years, had an XTR that lasted about the same, maybe 6 months longer. Finally when building up my 29er and trying to keep the costs down i bought a cheap (£8) deore bb, this lasted about two months…. So what’s the best option? Splash out or keep replacing the cheap one?

ahwiles
    Free Member

gusset ext24.

they’re £25, very well sealed, and use standard bearings.

the original (cheap) bearings in mine are just starting to run a little loose after around 7000km.

uberbike BB’s are worth a look too (£35).

bigyinn
    Free Member

S’funny, I have an XT which must be over 2 years old. Its getting a little rumbly now, but its not noticeable with riding.

Top tips.
    Dont overtighten the preload, it really doesnt need much!
    Learn to clean the bearings and re-grease then. This massively extends the bearing life.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m thinking another Shimano, the economics don’t add up for expensive bbs for me

ahwiles
    Free Member

£25 is expensive?

jairaj

Is the new frame’s BB shell faced?

If not that could be the reason why the deore BB failed so quick.

Otherwise, buy which ever Shimano BB is within budget.

drovercycles
    Free Member

If you want something longer-lasting then we recommend Wheels Manufacturing BBs – they use a very good, sealed, Enduro angular contact bearing – seem to run smooth and last a long time.

Not super-expensive either.

transporter13
    Free Member

Try a token one from wiggle. I’ve had one for over a year with no issues. £17

Bruce

I had a Deore BB which came with the cranks on my going to work bike, this only lasted about 2-3 months. The XT replacement lasted at least two years until the frame of the bike cracked. I have just looked on Chainreaction and their XT BBs are £17.

neil853
    Free Member

Hmmm might try and XT then

Northwind

I like the EXT24. Lasts well and takes standard bearings, almost all the life of Hope and almost the price of Shimano, without the pain in the arse bearings of either. And even comes in pretty colours.

Deore is genuinely not very good.

Suggsey
    Free Member

XT lasted 5 and a half years on the hardtail ridden all winter in nasty conditions. So I just popped a new XT one in on that basis.

takisawa2

Second hand King here, keeps rolling on.
    Had a grease purge about 2 years ago, but still spinning smooth.

welshfarmer

I have a cheap (????? £30) GXP which lasted about 2 months (always the drive-side goes rumbly and sloppy). However, I have noted that the bearings are removable (I have popped them out after removing a circlip) and it is possible to buy replacements from Simply Bearings for about £15 a set from the Enduro range. Going to give them a go and see how long they last.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

…the original (cheap) bearings in mine are just starting to run a little loose after around 7000km.

scrub that, i checked them last night, the bearings are fine but the drive-side cup had come loose.

7000km and counting.

amedias
    Free Member

So, I’ve tried a few now. Had a Hope stainless that lasted about 2 years ….i bought a cheap (£8) deore bb, this lasted about two months

I’m thinking another Shimano, the economics don’t add up for expensive bbs for me

But by this logic you were better off with the posh one?

Hope Stainless BB @£70 every 2 years = £35 per year
    Deore @ £8 every 2 months = £48 per year

How much was the XTR one?

What is causing them to wear out for you, is it muck ingress or large-mileage ? ie: could a better maintenance routine extend their life?

Unless you get one with serviceable bearings then a BB is essentially a consumable, treat it as such, do the maths and work out the most economical option for you in the long run, and whether you buy decent or cheap, always look after them, fit them properly, keep them clean, re-pack the bearings when needed (or preferably before needed!) and you should get better life out of them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bottom Brackets – advice appreciated’ is closed to new replies.