Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bottom bracket starting to go?
  • jwmlee
    Free Member

Can you please tell me what the symptoms are when a hollowtech bottom bracket starts to go?

Getting some odd noises from that area which started before changing my chain, crank set, cassette and jockey wheels.

thesquaredog
    Free Member

Bearings making a grinding noise or you might feel some play when you grab the crank arms and try rocking them side to side.

Northwind

Sound effects usually. They have to be very seized before it’s very obvious when pedalling. If in doubt, pull the cranks out and give the BB a poke, you’ll feel it.

Klunk
    Free Member

take the chain off and spin the cranks, you hear it if they are on the way out, they make a sort of grumbly sound.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Thanks very much.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Bearings making a grinding noise or you might feel some play when you grab the crank arms and try rocking them side to side.

If the cranks move side to side doesnt mean the bearing are gone i dont think, it just means that the cranks are loose most of the time and just nipping the crank bolt(black nut) up a tad to remvoe play works.

tbh i hae had my hollowtech for about 8 months now with no issues(mainly commuting),

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bottom bracket starting to go?’ is closed to new replies.