Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bottom Bracket Spacer Problem
  • ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

I have an Ellsworth Moment (73mm BB shell) running a Saint triple chainset.
    Previously I had a Shimano external BB which was set up with one spacer on each side.
    I've just fitted a Chris King BB with the same spacer arrangement but it's obviously slightly wider and there's not enough range on my front mech to get the big chainring.
    If I remove the drive-side spacer, there should be plenty of adjustability on front mech, but would I need to put 2 spacers on the non-drive side?
    Has anyone had similar problems?
    Thanks in advance…

matthew_h
    Free Member

You should only have one spacer with a 73mm BB shell. Fit the CK BB with a single spacer and see how it goes. Shouldn't be a problem to run the spacer on the wrong (ie non-drive) side but just check that there are enough threads on the cups to get decent housing into the shell

owenfackrell
    Free Member

You should only ever have either 1 or 3 spacers when not using an e type front mech. With a 73mm shell you only need the 1 on the drive side unless you have the e type front mech.

giantjason
    Free Member

have you looked at checking to see if the high and low adjust screws are set correctly?

njee20
    Free Member

What matthew and owen said, for a 73mm shell with a band-on front mech you need 1 spacer on the drive side only.

matthew_h
    Free Member

In addition to what I said previously, if you are going to try the spacer on the wrong side then make sure that there is enough clearance between the chainrings and your chainstays. It really should all work properly with the single spacer on the drive side though

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I was just copying the way the Shimano one was fitted as I bought the bike second hand and this is how it was.
    I'll try just one on the NDS, there's no way I can get enough adjustment on the mech to reach the big ring if it's spaced on that side.
    Thanks for the advice!

<Edit> Thanks Matthew, there's plenty of clearance on the inside…

scaredypants

… wouldn't be a road BB – they're different aren't they ?

njee20
    Free Member

Well if you can't get the front mech to do it, and you suggest it's not even close, then something's wrong somewhere! Bear in mind that moving the sapcer to the other side effectively means the chainset's offset by 2.5mm, you may be fine, but your knees may not enjoy that!

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

Good point njee20, but just looking at it by "rack of eye", it looks like the chain line will be better without a spacer on the drive side. I'll give it a whirl and see how it feels.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bottom Bracket Spacer Problem’ is closed to new replies.