Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bottom Bracket and Chainset options for 30mm bb (Stumpy Evo)
  • renton
    Free Member

Im looking into chainset and bb options for my Stumpy evo.

It had a spesh(Sram?)double chainset and a crappy plastic bb30 that was rubbish.

What are my options when it comes to replace.

Ideally I would like to run an SLX double but dont want to use a praxxis BB

Has anyone on here used the FSA sleeve that you press in ?

cheers

Steve

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I used a praxis adapter with a Xt 11 speed crankset in my camber evo. Works really well, no creaking.

Northwind

Raceface do tons of 30mms, can’t go far wrong with Turbines.

I suppose it depends on your current chainset, whether it’s worth retaining… And also whether you definitely want to stick to double, single would open the options right up

renton
    Free Member

The current chainset was the original that came on the bike that gave me loads of trouble to remove.

What 30mm chainsets are there that are the same price as a double slx ?

golo
    Free Member

Hope have their PF46 BB (the outside diameter for PF30) which is like the Praxis idea but cinched up internally (need their tool or a bloody big Allen key). The beauty is that they do versions for all the regular chainsets including 30mm / BB30 spindles (Praxis don’t). Wheels Mfg also do a BB with an internal collar that will take 30mm spindles. It is tightened externally like Praxis.

I went with Hope because I trust them, bearings are serviceable, didn’t want to have to buy a new crankset and thought the internally locking design was really neat.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Stumpy Evo and XT cranks here, but I’m also another satisfied customer of the Praxis Works BB.

kirky72
    Free Member

I bought a stainless steel Wheels bob for my pf30. To adapt to 24mm xt spindle. Great slid unit that screws through into each other to for a solid sleeve and eliminate that squeaky plastic problem. Also has enduro bearings that can be bought and swapped out easily.

This one.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1750232/products/wheels-manufacturing-pressfit-30-to-outboard-bottom-bracket—shimano.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CNDe6-SR-s0CFYEy0wodR84CKw

br
    Free Member

I’ve a Camber with the same BB shell as you, it came with a carbon SRAM crank and spider for a double. I’ve since unscrewed the spider and just use a single oval N/W ring.

So I’d just buy whatever single ring crankset that fits, you’ll save in the long run as only one ring to replace plus you never loose the chain and get to dump the front mech etc.

Northwind

renton – Member

What 30mm chainsets are there that are the same price as a double slx ?

None, but double SLX won’t fit your bike as is. But it doesn’t seem like you’re really tied to 30mm at all? Why make that a deciding factor?

renton
    Free Member

The reason I mention SLX is because the bottom brackets that come with them are normally quite reliable and even when they do wear out they are very cheap to replace.

It seems lots of people have problems with clicking and creaking with the plastic press fit bb30 and also my current 30mm axle chainset is proving a bugger to remove when I need to i would prefer to move over to the simplicity of a shimano set up.

The FSA sleeve would let me do this.

FSA sleeve is £17 from wiggle and then a new SLX double or even a ZEE sinlge would bring the total in at under £100.

dovebiker

Check whether your BB shell is PF30 (46mm dia) or BB30 (42mm dia) – suspect it’s the former as you refer to plastic – BB30 is simply bearings pressed into shell. Problem with the press-in insert is that it needs to be held with Loctite which needs a big-hammer to remove should you change your mind.

renton
    Free Member

mmm it looks to be PF30

eshershore
    Free Member

@renton

I had 5 stumpjumper frames 2 with bb30, 3 with PF30. Each had press fit BB issues, 1 of the bb30 frame was replaced under warranty due to machining errors in the BB shell

Each PF30 frame had slight variations in the BB bore tolerance. Last frame the bore a little too large, meant using a praxxis BB with fibre grip on the nylon sleeve and BB seats.

Tried greases, anti seize, wheels BB, SRAM BB, different cranks native 30mm and ht2 xt.

Totally depends on the frame itself, and it’s tolerances.

But you can generally get xt or slx running on praxxis conversion BB with some reliability, the bearing benefit from packing with marine grease before use and cheap to replace as needed

The praxxis comes native for bb30 with nylon sleeve for pf30

adsh
    Free Member

I used the SRAM PF30 to BSA press in adaptors in my Whyte 29C and was dissapointed.

The first set gradualy started to move outwards as did the second set. It might have been cured by glue but I didn’t want to go down that route.

I used a Wheels Manafacturing outboard thread together part ceramic for 24mm cranks and am really pleased. It spins better than a CK.

Dilwyn
    Free Member

I used a specialized adaptor on my stumpy evo to run a standard shimano threaded bb. Just make sure you glue it in as like mentioned above the tolerances on the bb she’ll are not great. If it’s loose in the frame it can wear the frame away.
    I use a praxis bb now, but have been told the works bb is better for the purpose.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bottom Bracket and Chainset options for 30mm bb (Stumpy Evo)’ is closed to new replies.