Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bottle cage bolt not extracting!
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Anyone got any ideas on how I can get a freely spinning bolt out of my frame without totally ruining it?

The bolt that holds the bottle cage to the down tube is spinning freely in both directions but will not extract or tighten?

ottocat
    Free Member

A) Hacksaw it off and let the stub drop into the frame,
    B) Wrench it out and re-tap the boss
    C) It sounds like the threads have worn off part way , Try pulling hard with mole grips at the same time as turning it to engage good threads further down
    D) take it to the bike Shop

wwaswas

Is the boss spinning in the frame too?

scandal42
    Free Member

Yes I believe it is wwaswas

njee20
    Free Member

I’d assume that’s exactly what it is. You can re-tighten the rivets, but you do need to get the bolt out. I’d not do any of the things ottocat suggests, except perhaps D.

Kryton57

Crikey, I’ve got the same problem, with the boss/insert spinning in the down tube…

Where to put my bottle for the Bonty 24/12 😯

scandal42
    Free Member

I was thinking holding the boss in place where it protrudes slightly with some needle nosed pliers and trying the turn the bolt?

wwaswas

Is there a cage on there? cutting it off may give access to allow you to get stop the boss spinning enough to extract the bolt. Then a new rivnutted boss or araldite in the existing one.

scandal42
    Free Member

Was thinking this might work? Didn’t really fancy ruining the carbon cage but if needs must.

ottocat
    Free Member

Arh all is clear I thought the bolt was just turning in the boss, then definitly take it to a decent bike shop

wwaswas

no reason not to try that first scandal. Whatever works 🙂

wrap some tape around the plier jaws so they don’t scratch the frame.

scandal42
    Free Member

I will report back on the outcome of the above procedure, resetting the boss might be a different kettle of fish.

plyphon
    Free Member

I knew I bought a cheapo plastic cage for a reason !

njee20
    Free Member

I will report back on the outcome of the above procedure, resetting the boss might be a different kettle of fish.

Not if your LBS has one of these (mine does, had to use it several times):

scandal42
    Free Member

I’ll be giving them a call when I get in.

neilwheel
    Free Member

If you have access to a grinder, buy some cheap pound shop pliers and thin the jaws down to get under the cage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bottle cage bolt not extracting!’ is closed to new replies.