Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bothy Trip in Mid Wales.
  • Ambrose

I’m just back from a weekend in a bothy in Mid- Wales. It was ace, apart from the indigestion from so much rich food.

The river was bouncingly high, making us have to reconsider route options but we arrived unscathed. Chatting to some MX’ers later on I learnt that one of them had his bike washed away on the biggest crossing, a proper scary moment. For the WW paddlers amongst us, I’d say it was a grade two rapid they were riding through, immediately above a Gr IV. A landrover flipped over there a few years ago, killing a young girl. It’s a thought provoking place.

Once we’d dropped our stuff off in the bothy we went for a ride. The Sun shone, the sky didn’t leak- it was great. At the bottom of the HUGE wet, rocky and long descent we again met up with the Land Rover guys from Fleetwood who had very kindly ferried in our coal to close to the bothy for us- what a bunch of stars. We also collected the firelogs and meths that they had forgotten to drop off.

Back to the accommodation for the night and a surfeit of cheese and tapas. Pete- you snore like a pig. Darren- you snore like a stuck pig. Richard- many thanks for bringing the ear plugs and fire steels- they were most necessary indeed.

The clocks changed last night- is that why people were up and about before 7:00AM Unhappy Ambrose 🙁

A massive fry up cheered me up no end but indigestion from hell haunted me for the rest of the day. Boo.

All in all, a great trip. Cheers Guys.

kayak23

Sounds great. Photos?
    🙂

scratch
    Free Member

Nice one Ambrose! Favorite bothy in Wales, had a great night there last year.

Was up at NR a few weeks ago for the re-roofing, who left the copy of STW in there?

Stoner
    Free Member

v jealous, I didnt do my Mid Wales Bothy trip this year (went wild campin in the beacons instead).

Do you use M*** P***** or C*****u?

I love the latter when its just me. Can be a bit intense when the DOE are in or some valley lads 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Sounds a lot like our trip a few years ago.

P9060024 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

A landrover flipped over there a few years ago, killing a young girl

It was the day before we went past. The landrover was still parked up in the river 🙁

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sounds ace! We like adventures.

Ambrose

It was MP we stayed in, and Dan I may well have left a copy or two of ST in numerous remote spots. I’ll try to post pics up later on.

Stoner
    Free Member

def pics please.
    Ive not stayed at MP, only ridden by.
    Is it “comfortable”? (snoring mates, excepted)

Nipper99
    Free Member

Whats with the secret bothy love in ‘M**** … etc’ ffs.

Bothies are open to everyone.

Check out the Mountain Bothies Association web site – and pay your sub and join and go along on a work party.

MP is Moel Prysgarn and presumably C****** is Claerddu which is a bothy run by the Elan Valley Trust and not the MBA. Ring the EVT estate office for more details.

wonnyj
    Free Member
    scratch
    Free Member

I use initials usually as I can never remember the proper spelling, next Welsh work party is at Nant Syddion (sp) next March’ish. Bring a spade, you can help me dig out a new privy….

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s not a “secret love in”, Nipper, FFS.

I was always under the impression that it was not encouraged to publish bothy locations (originally the MBA never did) and in the case of Claerddu, even the Elan Valley Trust dont list it on their own website.

I also support the ELENYDD WILDERNESS HOSTELS TRUST but since they are hostels that you pay to stay at there’s no reason not to advertise them.

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    mattsccm
    Free Member

Spent many happy nights there.
    What’s it like at the moment ?
    Last time we went the snug had gone and it was one big room. Not as nice.
    The river crossings do get deep. We have had to open Landrover doors in the past to keep them weighted.

Ambrose

Moel Prysgau snug is now reinstated, slightly larger and has better insulation. It is also white painted inside, making it far more homely than the dark old version.

Planning another trip to Claerddu around Christmas time.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

It was a great trip really enjoyed it and I don’t snore Ambrose I didn’t sleep due to Darren’s snoring 😉

Ambrose

A good supply of unused ear plugs has been left for the next time.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’m taking my bivvy bag and tarp next time and sleep in the extension LOL

mattsccm
    Free Member

White!!!
    It was lovely in dark brown.
    Just what is white going to look like covered in smoke?
    Insulation! Never needed that, we just opened the door to keep the temperature down.
    Are you going to tell me that the stove has gone?
    Please no.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

no the stove is still there don’t worry, it was a bit damp with condensation though with stove on and all of us cooking etc

Ambrose

Which stove do you mean? The leaky, cracked rounded shaped one? Yes, that is gone. In it’s place is a Sherman tank of a stove. Very utilitarian, very good. The windows look like they can be opened too! We had to keep the doors closed in case Bernie the dog decided to go exploring. He’s a great fan of exploring, does it a lot.

Wet

Ambrose

Posting pictures is doing my head in!

And this old one, for scratch!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

mattsccm
    Free Member

:cry:That’s not a stove.
    The old one would take decent sized stuff. Never had condensation ever with stacks of soaked m/c kit. What is the world coming to

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bothy Trip in Mid Wales.’ is closed to new replies.