Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • BOS Deville – Tyre Clearance/Max tyre size question
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

New bike has a 170mm Bos Deville up front. When the bike arrived I noticed that there’s not a huge amount of space between the arch on the fork and the tyres.

I’m currently running a Mavic Charge 2.4″ tyre but wondered about the possibility of sticking something bigger on the front for a trip to the alps later in the year.

Anyone got any experience of running something bigger? I don’t necessarily want to go wider but something with a bit more volume might be nice but I’m concerned it won’t fit beneath the arch.

Does anyone have any experience of running something bigger than the charge before I get in touch with Bos/Jungle for some advice.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I presume you mean in 650b flavour, as the clearance is useless.

I’ve ran a Magic Mary 2.35, which is a big tyre, and in sticky mud, it was rubbish, the tyre could barely fit through the arch.

Hell, even with a 2.3 Butcher & a Marsh Guard stones can catch the guard on the way through.

I’m 99% sure they are just the standard 26″ lowers, that just happened to have decent 26″ clearance, so a 650b wheel ‘just’ fits, when I tried this before with an old set of BOS forks the clearance was about the same.

Rumour has it they are doing some new lowers, so they clearly know it’s an issue.

jamj1974

Only got 26″ version so probably not particularly helpful. I can get a 2.4 Rubber Queen in easily though!

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Yep 650b. Suspect you’re right hob nob So fingers crossed for some 650b lowers!

Pity as I was eyeing up a Magic mary until it gets a bit drier.

Thanks!

cultsdave
    Free Member

I run a Magic Mary in my 160mm deviles in 650b. Also got a wee plastic bender fender in there. Clearance is tight but it hasn’t clogged up yet. (it did at the Mega this year but everything did!

felixdamouse
    Free Member

I run a magic Mary on my capra pro with 170 devilles and also have a mud hugger front fender fitted, it does rub a bit at times tho.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It does sound like they are using 26 inch lowers. I have bags of room on my 26 inch forks with a Magic Mary up front.

timthetinyhorse

I have 160s and 650b wheels, i have 2.4 continentals on mine and they are pretty tight, i always wondered if they were 26″ lowers but never gave it too much thought, makes a whole load of sense now!!!

Stranga
    Free Member

Had 2 friends with these forks have to abandon rides due to front wheel bunged solid in sticky, gloopy mud, think they were running Marys though and were fine on all other rides, just wrong trails on wrong day……………sure the 2015 ones have this issue sorted.

socom_jim
    Free Member

I have the same bike as Timthetinyhorse. like stranga says. Wrong trails on the wrong day.
    However i looked into the fork sizing. the 650b fork is only 10mm longer axle to crown than the 26″ to get an extra 19mm or 3/4 in in there its gonna be tight. But apparently bos are making amendments.
    I’m considering switching to pikes for that and the piss poor service interval. 12-18 months my arse. Twice in 11 months

Singletrackstinker your charge should do you fine in the alps

scaled
    Free Member

i’m running a 2.35 Shorty with a mud hugger on mine, it coped with the fresh cut stuff at gisburn well enough and that was proper gloopy mud

Charge is a great tyre and you will be fine in alps as its as tough as most DH tyres .

cultsdave
    Free Member

I run a 2.35 Magic Mary and the clearance is very poor. However it works and mostly doesn’t bother me. It has twice bunged up though. Once at the Mega last year where everything was bunged up and once in some very sticky conditions somewhere else.
    I raced the Selkirk Enduro 2 weekends ago and it was very sticky claggy mud and had no issues with it clogging. The odd stone does hit off the arch though.

Also ran 2.5 DH highrollers in it with no probs.

As has been said above they must be the same as the 26inch lowers hence the crap clearance

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘BOS Deville – Tyre Clearance/Max tyre size question’ is closed to new replies.