Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Borrowing money – what would you do?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

the 0% cards charge a fee so it isn’t 0% – 2.9-4% handling fee, is that not still the case

njee20
    Free Member

If you’re transferring a balance yes, if it’s 0% purchases it’s 0%.

My concern would be whether you’d get a £5k limit on a brand new card. That and the whole ‘shit loads of money you don’t have’ thing, but I don’t doubt the OP has justified it to himself and (one hopes) knows his wife, so it’s a moot point.

hels
    Free Member

I am sorry but this is a terrible idea. You are not buying your wife a present, you are handing her some debt.

Reminds me of my cousin, who married somebody with dodgy relatives. They came good with wedding presents, full set of white ware for the house, fridge, washing machine etc. Except they had only paid the deposit on the HP agreement, and handed over all the paperwork after the honeymoon. Some present !

Ro5ey
    Free Member

She’s probably going to do her tits

Maybe

5k is about the right price for a good pair

😀

wilburt
    Free Member

I dont want to predictably stw but having learnt the hard way, I would agree borrowing money for anything other than absolute essentials isnt a good idea.

stewartc
    Free Member

My wife would flip if I borrowed money to spend on something like this.

This, why would you want to put yourself in debt for something as fleeting as a gift?

johndoh
    Free Member

I guess it depends on what the gift is – it needn’t be ‘fleeting’ and this one wouldn’t be – it would be something my wife can pass down to our daughters as a family heirloom…

brakes
    Free Member

what is it? what is it?

some people are comfortable with debt, others aren’t.
    my wife thinks loans are a terrible thing, yet she doesn’t seem fazed that we have an umpteen hundred thousand pound mortgage…
    personally, I’d go with the debt with the quickest repayment period that allows overpayment.

johndoh
    Free Member

I would be taking her for a night in London and a trip to Haddon Gardens so she can choose her own diamond eternity ring. She has wanted one for a long time and if it wasn’t for our rash decision to splurge £££££s o na kitchen last autumn, I would have had the money ready for it!

ampthill

What I have learnt from this thread is that we all have very different prioritise. Not that surprising I suppose.

benp1

It’s about your stance on debt

personally, the only debt I don’t begrudge is my mortgage, everything else is paid for outright. We’re quite fortunate like that I guess. I’m sure that might change at some point, but hopefully not

But, if you can cope with the debt, and it’s worth it to you, and only you can say whether it is or not, then go for it

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

My advice would be live within your means !

Would your wife really be happy with you having a loan for £5000 ? Sounds like you’ve fallen into the consumerism trap !

You need to have a long look at yourself in the mirror young man…even though I can afford to buy a gift for that amount my wife would be f kin livid with me…

Sorry to sound harsh

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ah, but it’s Diamonds though, innit, where the price is the important thing. I doubt many on here could tell the difference between Hatton Garden’s finest and some Ratners Tat. I couldn’t.

ctk
    Free Member

Kitchen issue resolved yet?

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t care if you sound harsh – you’re not right and I’m not wrong, we’ve both just got different opinions and we can both choose to listen to each other or not.

And no – kitchen issues still not sorted! Not been chased up for the one bill I won’t pay until they snag fix but I haven’t heard from them to come back to do it despite me offering various dates. And we’ve still not even had a bill for the extra work we asked for separately! So the £5k I still have sat in the bank to pay for that could still end up being spent on my wife 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Borrowing money – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.