Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Borrowing Glasses from Bars
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

OPINION: Eau de Vie’s Owner Begs You to Stop Stealing His Shit
    In the 18 months after Sven Almenning opened his first bar, $40,000 worth of glassware was stolen. That was just the start, he writes.

Starts to add up quite quickly, was chatting with a mate as he was setting up his bar and the cost of all these things soon ramps up when your getting 10 or 20!

stumpy01

There’s a bar in Ghent that takes one of your shoes as a deposit for certain beer glasses – depending on what beer you order.
    They hoist it up into the rafters in a basket until you return the glass.

Perhaps this place should do something similar…!

mattyfez

^hahaha, I was just about to post that!!

marcus7
    Free Member

Yep been to that bar and had to hand over a shoe, it was a very fancy glass with a wooden holder as I recall…. (I don’t recall that much tbh….)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Two pairs of flip flops from the pound shop……Ka-ching! Glassware Bonanza!

firestarter
    Free Member

It’s for orders of Kwak beer

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m no even sure half the people in here know such a thing as the the pound shop exists! 😆

DezB
    Free Member

😳 my favourite whisky glass is one stolen ahem borrowed from a pub in 1984. I admired it and my then boss (it was someone’s leaving do) encouraged me to nick it. Its a lovely glass, but I promise to give it back.

johndoh
    Free Member

There’s a bar in Ghent that takes one of your shoes as a deposit

So what happens when you go for a piss? Do you have to stand in in a sock in a pool of warm piss in the stalls?

mogrim

So what happens when you go for a piss? Do you have to stand in in a sock in a pool of warm piss in the stalls?

I’d be hopping mad.

perchypanther
    Free Member

There’s a bar in Ghent that takes one of your shoes as a deposit for certain beer glasses – depending on what beer you order.

One that’s quite hoppy?

edit: too slow with the hop joke.

redthunder
    Free Member

I used to live next door to a pub… Never bought a glass in my life from all the glasses left on my wall and chucked over the hedge.

Always wanted a strongbow glass, never do get one being into archery.

DezB
    Free Member

Mjølner, our Viking-inspired restaurant and bar in Sydney

Man, that place sounds poncy: “The value of these knives and the leather roll in which they came were about $2500 and will take us a couple of months to replace.”

Asking for it really

joshvegas
    Free Member

The beer had better be welt-asty.

Does it lack sole or is it quite vibramt?

scotroutes

Can you take them back if they are the wrong prescription?

binners

You have your beer served in glasses?

How, like… TOTALLY 20th century

I have my artisan craft ale served in an old miners boot, I exchanged for a glass in a bar in Ghent, a blender, a galvanised bucket, or a vintage toby jug. If I’m feeling more conventional I may possibly accept a jam jar

Cheers!

peekay

We have a cupboard full of Mooserwirt glasses which have been collected over the years.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I’m quite pleased with my Krombacher pint glass. I’m not sure I actually stole it though. The beer was that expensive, I thought the glass was included…

theotherjonv

I’ve got an Espresso cup from Bar Italia, does that count?

mogrim

FWIW I got given a Kwak glass as a present. And it’s a stupid design, no idea why anyone would want to steal one.

jekkyl

I find the the half pint peroni glass is satisfying for supping out of.
    People do a roaring trade in borrowed glasses on ebay, maybe that’s one for the legit income thread.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my favourite coffee mug is a 16oz starbucks mug. Two friends of mine turned up at my flat with pizza and the mug whilst studying. I hadn’t been to the studio in a couple of days and they wanted to make sure i was working/ not dead. It’s my favourite for sentimentel reasons, also it’s huge.

I can only assume thay paid for said mug.

CountZero

I’ve got a few glasses, er liberated from various pubs over the years, the best one is a glass Fullers ESB tankard-style glass that’s really heavy, that one I got in return for a donation in the air ambulance box.

funkmasterp

Don’t give out fancy glasses to drunk people. Like kebabs, they are simply irresistible to the pickled mind. I’ve never once borrowed any glasses whilst sober, but anything vaguely different from the bog standard pint glass would end up in my house if I was hammered. Just stop serving alcohol, simples.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of 1/2 pint glasses from a well know Northumbrian place that ended up in the car. They have a logo/name of a road construction/maintenance company on them. 😆

Will I go to prison again?

dirtyboy

Robbos morzine mutzig

Twodogs

If anyone has “borrowed” a Pelforth Brune glass (with the bubble in the base), I’d make an offer!

maccruiskeen

Can you take them back if they are the wrong prescription?

I keep taking my glasses back at the local pub but each new one they give me just seem to make everything more blurry.

xora

heh, the only time Ive left a bar with glasses they were a bribe to get rid of us 🙂

We had been in the bar in Brussels since midday and it was midnight and they wanted to close early 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

Paying a deposit on glasses is quite common in Germany. You pay for your drink plus a euro and you get a little plastic chip which when you bring your glass back with the chip you get your euro back. The chip is to stop people stealing other people’s glasses for the euro deposit. Seems to work pretty well here.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You pay for your drink plus a euro

But a nice beer glass is worth way more than a euro.

If I ever take the car over to Holland, I’m going load up with a few crates of Grolsch from the supermarket. The flip top bottles and crate are worth more s/h in the UK, than the the purchase price and deposit in Holland. Free beer!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Borrowing Glasses from Bars’ is closed to new replies.