Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Borrowdale Bash on CX bike
  • carbonfiend
    Free Member

Going up to lakes at half term & staying near Keswick. I have a restriction on bikes I can take either MTB or road so was wondering could I take CX & ride both as wanted to do whinlatter/honister pass loop (put road tyres on cx bike) but also hit the trails. So is it poss to ride borrowdale bash on cx bike or any other alternate routes round there.

I was up in summer & seen a guy top of pooley bridge coming down from High st on a cx which made me think

tmb467
    Free Member

Yes – there’s very little you couldn’t do (slowly) on a CX bike

Only two main ‘descents’ really so just take your time and hope not to puncture

djflexure

Yes you will miss the descents I would have thought which takes away some of the pleasure IMO.

Spin
    Free Member

I did it on the crosser a few years ago. Not ideal for the descents but perfectly doable and makes a lot of sense given the amount of road.

TomB

If I had a cx bike I think I would choose something else, as the BB is great for fast rock descents which would be a chore on the crosser. How about a back of skiddaw loop, various options available and if you avoid lonscale fell section all cross- suitable. Failing that, look at the route of cycling weekly’s Lakeland monster miles from last weekend.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Great thanx y’all basically from what everybody’s saying I will at the very least be able to find routes around there to ride the CX & get in some trails. Looks like my next stop is CRC to purchase a bucket full of inner tubes 🙂

Unless of course a giant anthem “accidentally” finds its way heading north bound out of LDN with a family of 6 (and a dog)

Spin
    Free Member

If you can be arsed with new tyres and if they’ll fit your frame then I’ve had great results with Schwalbe Smart Sam 40s on rocky terrain. Did 2 weeks in the Dales with them and rode the Laggan black without mishap just for sh!ts and giggles.

I’m just a wee lad and run them at 60psi but they’ll take 85 and still give some cushioning.

boxelder

Great route on a CX is reverse the Borrowdale bash along cat bells and up past castle crag, over honister, round back of Buttermere, out towards loweswater, down through lanthwaite woods to end of crummock water, past kirkstile inn (hardest bit), round back of loweswater, over Mosser fell roads to Lorton, then back through Whinlatter. Routes round skiddaw also better than the bash for a crosser.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Boxelder that sounds great though I haven’t really got a clue where I am going but will find out though

br
    Free Member

Look for the Monster X route from last weekend; start/end in Keswick.

crazy-legs

The BB is possibly the last route I’d consider doing on a CX!

You would lose out big time on all the descents, certainly most of Roasthwaite would be walking and probably some of Grange/Castle Crag too.

Loads of good CX stuff in Grizedale and also back of Skiddaw where that recent Lakeland Monster CX Sportive was held.

Spin
    Free Member

You would lose out big time on all the descents, certainly most of Roasthwaite would be walking and probably some of Grange/Castle Crag too.

It’s not that bad, I rode it all on the crosser, albeit some bits on the grass beside the path rather than the path.

But yes, it’s not ideal and there are better routes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Borrowdale Bash on CX bike’ is closed to new replies.