Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Born Free… as free as the..
  • goodgugu
    Free Member

Is there anywhere in what you would call a modern civilised country that you can live in a house completely for free?

What I mean is, if you bought a house for cash – no mortgage and moved in, grew your own vegetables (STW garden style) created your own electricity and water is there anywhere that you could live with a zero bank balance?

In the U.K at the very least you would have to pay council tax charges.

I’m just intrigued….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No.

McHamish
    Free Member

Yes.

McHamish
    Free Member

I should elaborate.

Maldivians don’t pay tax.

I’m sure there are other countries.

McHamish
    Free Member

*but I think non-maldivians cannot buy property…or something.

So…

mogrim

There are dying villages around Spain that you can get grants to live in, although with the current economic climate I’m not sure if they’re still on offer.

You could always squat, too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes.

So how are you going to buy a new spade, if you break the one you’re using ? Or replace the blown light bulb ? Or pay for medication ? Or buy new clothes ? Razor blades ? Fertiliser ? Oil ?

You still need to sell and buy stuff. Even if you “barter” everything, which extremely unlikely, if not impossible, it’s no different to using money. You can’t class using debit cards as “not using money”, even though you might never see the stuff.

Being totally self-sufficient in the UK is impossible, apart for perhaps a very short while. Then you will die. Everyone needs the labours of other people to some extent or other.

EDIT : The question as I understood it, was whether you : “could live with a zero bank balance?”

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think Alaska would get pretty close to your wish list.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Pol Pot got even closer.

j_me
    Free Member

Necker island?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Born Free… as free as the..’ is closed to new replies.