• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by CFYB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 'Boris Bikes' for our company
  • CFYB
    Free Member

Bit of an odd query this. the company i work for in Bristol is looking to have some form of ‘Boris Bike’ type arrangement for staff to get between our two sites (only 2 miles and flat so anyone could ride it). We have approached some of the ‘big boys’ and they’re not interested in any order of less than 500 bikes and we only want to buy 10 or so to start with to see how things develop. So the conversation with my boss went something along the lines of – ‘you ride a bike don’t you, can you find out if there are any companies that will help’. No idea where to start so thought i’d throw the idea out there a bit and see what comes back. Anyone got any ideas, or been through a similar thing?

brant
    Free Member

Rigid forked inbred? Singlespeed? Gears? We can help.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Decathlon Rockrider 5.0, for £110?

Being based in the South West, do you really want employees riding round on something labled ‘inbred’ (other than that Brant’s idea of singlespeeds is probably far better in the long term)?

kimbers

pashley?

wwaswas

I hate to be all healt and safety but I’d look at what sort of insurance/training/equipment you’d need too.

and then talk to brant.

StirlingCrispin

Try your local shop.

My LBS (Wheels of Callander) has a massive hire fleet and supplies smaller numbers to local businesses (charity rides, children’s homes, posh local hotel for staff to get home, caravan parks, that sort of thing).

plyphon
    Free Member

On a semi serious note, I know a lot of businessmen in London use these to get around short distances:

CFYB
    Free Member

Was thinking about LBS or someone like yourself Brant. Big issue will be the security side. May have to look at it from the pint of view of asking for a deposit for a key to the lock rather than the bike itself! Dunno?

kayak23

Aren’t the Post Office getting rid of bikes soon? Some of those type are probably what would work..

br
    Free Member

Bulk order with your LBS should do it.

Although I’m betting that the 10 you start with will become 2 serviceable bikes within a month…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bristol you say? Bike theft capital of the UK.
    Requirement for 10 bikes, best order 20 every other month then.

bencooper
    Free Member

Get something hub-geared and hub-braked – otherwise they’ll be useless in three months. An Inbred frame as a base is definitely a go-er, with T3 or P5 hub gears.

phil.w
    Free Member

How about the paper bike? paper-bicycle.com/ As a ‘communal’ bike it’s ideal.

AVC in Bath stock them – (email me if you want a contact name / number)

tomd
    Free Member

getting the bikes is only half the issue. what about maintenance?

Just an idea, but approach a few LBSs and ask them to get a price for 10 cheap hybrid bikes.

Then see if any will provide ongoing maintenance, or approach any local mobile bike mechanics to see if they could set up and agreement.

crazy-legs

As others have said, the major issue with “communal” bikes isn’t the actual initial purchase.
    It’s ongoing maintenance, security, staff “borrowing” them, no-one bothering to clean or fix them and finding someone to be responsible for them all.
    Most companies start getting all nervous about what happens if/when someone falls off one and tries to sue (however remote that possibility may be, H&S/insurance has a habit of killing off schemes like this before they even start).

Watty

How about this: Brompton Dock

TooTall
    Free Member

Right. Before anything else, look at:

http://www.betterbybike.info/

Get in touch with them, particularly the roadshow team. Ask them if they can put you in touch with any of the other Bike User Group (BUG) leaders in businesses around Bristol or offer any other help. They have contacts with the local police, council etc etc as well as a few bike companies.
    I’d heartily recommend speaking to the guys at HP who are just off the ring road at Abbey Wood (ask betterbybike if they will do an introduction). They have what I’d say was the very best setup that really works. They had some good support from their management and have done wonders. They have a fleet of bikes, a couple of electric bikes ,tools, emergency repair kits in the office etc etc.

Don’t buy some random bikes or anything else before you have plundered the massive wealth of information and support that Bristol has to offer. I was the ‘Cycling Champion’ for one of Bristol’s biggest employers until Dec so what I’m telling you comes from experience (and envy having seen what other companies will do to support cycling). BBB can really help you on your way and they are lovely people.

CFYB
    Free Member

Some fantastic stuff here, sounds like HP have got some good ideas going so will approach them and Better By Bike.

Security’wise, both sites are patrolled and gated securely, but the maintenance is where it think it might falter. Was thinking about some form of retainer/contract with one of the mobile bike mechanics in Bristol.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘'Boris Bikes' for our company’ is closed to new replies.