• This topic has 21 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by BB.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Boring but useful (to me) thread: Why does my crank keep coming loose?
  • BB

Dull I know but some of you seem to enjoy these techy questions.

The cranks are Race Face Deus, about 3 years old. Swapped them over to my new Mmmbop frame with a new Hope BB. After tightening them up double bar5tard hard against the stop, they still seem to become wobbly after an hour or two of riding. I have even tried loctiting them in place.

BB has right number of spacers (73mm shell rather than the 68mm quoted, Brant take note).

Any one any ideas? Thanks in advance.

myheadsashed

Square taper or isis etc?

Olly
    Free Member

where is the wobble?

NDS crank wobbling on the axel?
    or the whole crank assembly wobbling in the bottom bracket?

I tried a crankset in a hope BB and it developed a wobble, as the race surface was a TINY amount smaller than the hope bearing internal Diameter.

changed the Crankset for a new one in the end.

BigJohn

I had this happen. The bolt was tight but there was still a teeny bit of play.

I ground a couple of mm off the end of the axle, because in taking the crank on and off a few times it had bedded a little further down the axle and the splines were protruding past those of the crank.

It now works fine again.

Edit – X-type BB

Olly
    Free Member

or if it is Sq taper then i could be the wrong sized/shaped BB?
    or rounded taper on the cranks?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don't know the answer, but when my Truvativ's took to dropping off I went after them with No More Nails. They have not moved since, and will next move when I apply a hacksaw. I appreciate this is not something you necessarily want to do with a pair of £200 cranks….

thomthumb
    Free Member

After tightening them up double bar5tard hard

that may have some relevance!!

BigJohn

No, those cranks really do have to be tightened doubleard.

BigDummy
    Free Member

RaceFace say the drive side crank is to be tightened double bar5tard hard onto the axle, that it is not possible to over-tighten it and that it is a "hard stop". All of which is still terrifying when you're swinging on the end of a massive allen key and it's still turning (just). I fitted some 2 weeks ago, and am now trying to take them off again. I'm not convinced it's a terribly good design… 🙂

harryparabolics
    Free Member

I've got an set of RF Evolves from roughly the same era – they have a little spacer on the spindle on the chainring-side of the crank. Not sure if they have same setup as RF Deus, but if so, you may have inadvertently lost this little spacer when removing the cranks from old bike – hence the looseness? I forgot to put this little spacer on once and my cranks were quite loose after a little test ride.

DezB
    Free Member

The splines do wear out on RF cranks. (don't they Rob?!)

BD, your adapter has just been posted. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

You're a star Dez, thanks. 🙂

BB

Wow, sorry for not answering the questions, I've been trying to do some work (heaven forbid!!).

It's just the DS crank arm coming loose (ie the bolt coming undone).

I think Harry PB has the answer, as I had a suspicion there might be spacer missing. I only have the red ring which sits against (sort of inside) the crank. should there be another one? If so, where can I get one?

Thanks for all the help.

DezB
    Free Member

I might have one (if it didn't get damaged in the act of sawing the crank off!) Will have a look tonight.

BigJohn

If the whole thing (both cranks) can move from side to side it's a spacer.

If just the drive side crank waggles a bit (and you can feel the flex through the pedal) it's what I said.

BB

DezB, if you do have one I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for looking.

ahwiles
    Free Member

when i read the thread title, i found myself asking 'race face?'

that's probably your answer.

sorry, they do have a reputation for this…

singletrackmind

Tell me about it.

Take off the drive side crank arm. Wipe the grit and grease away from the splines and have a good look at them. You will most likely see some ovaling or 'scalloping out' at the end of a few of the splines. It wont be much, just a mm or so. No amount of torque will stop the dreaded wobble for long. It might feel Ok in the garage, but after a few miles it will work loose.

I have made a decent set by mixing a Deus and Evolve ( unmatching cranks .- Don't tell the bike police )

DezB
    Free Member

BB – ygm

BB

Just to make an official announcement:

DezB is tops…!

😀

BigJohn

While you've got the thing in bits, just remember to grind a couple of mil off the end of the axle.

BB

BigJ: Will do if the spacer doesn't sort it.

Thanks for all the help.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Boring but useful (to me) thread: Why does my crank keep coming loose?’ is closed to new replies.