Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Borders railway = plans for bike day outs?
  • moonboy
    Free Member

As a former Edinburghist, I was looking at the borders railway map, starts this Sunday I believe?

Have the STW Edinburgh contingent been planning days out around it. I wonder if a loop Stow/Gala round bu Inners and GT is possible?

http://www.bordersrailway.co.uk/planned-works/maps-plans.aspx

project
    Free Member

Because it was built on the cheap only single track, it has a limited service compared to most lines, also for the next few months, some trains are cancelled while steam trains run along the lines in the afternoon, theyre not yet on Journey planners or NRE, saw the above in Rail Magazine.

jamiep
    Free Member

And the whole two bike spaces per train can’t be booked in advance…

STATO
    Free Member

Son of a… I had no idea this had been started nevermind finished!

Didnt/dosnt it use a bit of what was/is the Coast and Castles Sustrans route? Were/are there still cycle paths alongside the bits that have been changed back into live railway?

CraigW
    Free Member

One train every half hour (or 1 per hour on Sundays) is pretty good for a rural line. Its only about 3 trains per day cancelled for the steam.

STATO
    Free Member

And the whole two bike spaces per train can’t be booked in advance…

I though Scotrail trains had more space than that?

br
    Free Member

Train to Galashiels and then take the SUW via Yair to Inners, descend.

Café.

Climb Inners and SUW back descending one of the good routes back into Yair and either SUW back over to Gala, or ride round on the riverside.

Or just play in Yair, with a super café over in Philliphaugh.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Borders railway = plans for bike day outs?’ is closed to new replies.