Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • books that made you who you are
  • sweepy
    Free Member

This year is the 50th anniversary of 'To kill a mockingbird'. Today reading the paper there was an article about 'The ragged trousered philanthropists'. Being reminded of both these books so close together got me thinking, I read both these books in my younger days, and repeatedly since, and I think that more than any others, these books made me the person I am today.
    What books influenced and inspired your thinking in this way?

Edric64
    Free Member

Mein Kampf anyone ?

iDave
    Free Member

being molded by a book is not a concept i'm familiar with

though i rate the four hour work week for confirming my views of work

stilltortoise
    Free Member

the joy of sex. Not me, my folks

{EDIT} oh, I see 😉

jimmyshand
    Free Member

The Bible.

Stoner
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

I read horror stories like crazy when I was a kid. I would come back fromthe library every weekdn with another handful. They gave me a dark and brooding outlook on life and people in general.

Once I'd run out of horror stories to read, my attention turned to my dad's impressive book case. Mostly filled with travel and climbing books which didn't really interest me that much, I picked out the fiction books that did and became an avid reader of spy and action novels. I'd read pretty much all Wilbur Smith's novels by the time I was 13 which taught me that all men are strong and dependable and any man who can't run down a bull elephant across the African plains for 8 hours is a poor excuse for a human being.

This is why I'm the person I am.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Slaughter House 5
    Catch 22
    If This is Man/ The Truce

RustySpanner

sweepy, yep, those two books really influenced me as a kid, more than I can possibly say.

Can I add 'Three men in a a boat' 'A Clockworck Orange' and the 'The Complete Sherlock Holmes' as life changers?

jahwomble
    Free Member

Er probably Das Kapital, Catch 22, Brave New World, Fear and Loathing, The Road to Wigan pier,Dispatches by Mike Herr,On The Origin of Species.

My folks always had piles of books everywhere and I read voraciously, still do really, even walking around town I'll take a book to read whilst I'm walking.

I'd say that the ones I've mentioned were probably the ones, for right or wrong that helped form my opinions and biases the most anyway.

sweepy
    Free Member

That advance statistics book looks a bit of a dry old read.
    iDave, do you not think its possible to learn anything from a book?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The God Delusion – Richard Dawkins.

iDave
    Free Member

sweepy – learning yes.

being 'made who you are'?

i'd say a lot more than a couple of books have done that

RustySpanner

Hemingway also made me what I am.

"The sun also rises" is almost perfect. 😀

sweepy
    Free Member

The God delusion was a good book, but rather than teach me anything new, it expressed clearly the views I already had, if that makes sense

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The God delusion was a good book, but rather than teach me anything new, it expressed clearly the views I already had, if that makes sense

Same here. I think they call it "preaching to the converted".

sweepy
    Free Member

iDave- definitely, but they really affected me. Its not even like Philanthropists was hugely well written, but I believe that the way you react to reading it for the first time says much about you as a person.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Mr Grumpy

Of the Mr Men series

peajay

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, and Chickenhawk,
    PJ.

Norton
    Free Member

1984 – reminded of it everytime I see a CCTV camera or a sports article in the red tops that's 4 times longer than the lead news story…

sweepy
    Free Member

I remember reading 1984 and thinking it was a fiction, and could never happen. Got that wrong then.
    Ive never read Hemingway, and never finished Zen. maybe I should give them a try.

gordimhor

Trainspotting, Homage to Catalonia, Electric Brae by Andy Greig are all favourtes of mine but if you really want a book that "made you what you are" maybe I should be thinking of what I read when I was a kid so that would be loads of James Bond novels, Last of the Mohicans and Scorcher

Nick

RustySpanner

I suppose I'd better add 'The Cruel Sea' by Nicholas Monserrat, 'The Young Lions' by Irwin Shaw and 'The White Spider' by Heinrich Harrer .

All of which, when read as a child, had a massive influence on my life.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am a golem made of paper mache

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Seriously – the usual Orwell, lord of the rings, white fang and call of the wild. All quiet on the western front. Jupiters travels. Catcher in the rye

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

peajay – Member

Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

oooh! I was going to say that!

kiwijohn

"The Monkey Wrench Gang", Edward Abbey.

RustySpanner

Ah, TJ, can I recommend 'These are the days that would happen to you' by Dan Walsh?

After reading your posts on here, I think you'd really, really enjoy it.

user-removed
    Free Member

The Ginger Man by J.P. Donleavey made me think that drinking to excess is a good idea. Ridley Walker by Russell Hoban woke me up to the very real possibility that I might not last long enough to do so.

The Mouse and his Son, also by the 'fore-mentioned Hoban gave me an insight into infinity as a child – there's a passage in which the mouse is looking at a dog food tin; the label on the tin depicts a dog looking at a tin of dog food. The label on that tin shows a dog looking at a tin of dog food ad nauseam, literally in my case. I threw up, faced with the concept of the universe as a never ending, infinitely repeating entity.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Animal Farm – Not sure it influenced me but I read it at about 10, 15 and 21 and each time I realised it wasn't what I thought it was about the last time*.

*except the first time when I hadn't read it previously but even then it wasn't what I thought it would be about

Ambrose

As TJ, also As I walked out one Summer morning. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee made me cry. The Songlines, On the Black Hill, Bruce Chatwin

user-removed
    Free Member

As I Walked out one Midsummer Morning – what a grand text. Read it in the back of 'O' grade English whilst my classmates murdered Macbeth at the rate of one page per hour (PPH).

RustySpanner

As I walked out one Summer morning

Wonderful. Makes me cry whenever I pick the damn thing up.

'The Great Railway Bazaar' by Paul Theroux is a bit of a choker for me too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Makes me cry whenever I pick the damn thing up.

Do you reckon you'll ever get to read it ?

RustySpanner

Ian Serrailler's 'The Silver Sword' an 'There's No Escape' also passed a hell of a lot of time before I discovered women.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

'To kill a mockingbird
    zen , and lila
    hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
    the gospels
    the chrisalids

I think I relate to outsider hero literature

gordimhor

Bury my heart at wounded knee a really great book made me angry 😈

RustySpanner

ernie, care to contribute, or would you prefer to just assume the superior position, as usual?

user-removed
    Free Member

Oh! And Damien by Herman Hesse has more than once caused me to chiggidy-check myself before I riggidy-wreck myself.

Who doesn't want to be on the path to enlightenment and self-awareness?

EDIT; come on Rusty, that was a wee bit amusing – I think he's suggesting that you were never able to read it through the veil of tears 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘books that made you who you are’ is closed to new replies.