• This topic has 68 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Boo, no more F1 on BBC
  • scotroutes

I’d have thought there’s as many dartists, snookerists and golfists as cycling sportspersons.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The money should and must be spent on bringing sports like cycling to the uk

Cycling is even more dull than f1.

Robot wars.

project
    Free Member

I’d have thought there’s as many dartists, snookerists and golfists as cycling sportspersons

cant think of one from those sports groups

the-muffin-man

Cycling is even more dull than f1.

And takes longer to watch!

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but they have overtaking

mefty
    Free Member

The BBC is rumoured to be giving up the right to the darts as well which end this year.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’d be happy that the Beeb weren’t lining Bernie’s pockets if it wasn’t for the fact they have probably had to buy themselves out the contract only for C4 to pick it up for more than the remaining cost.

Was an avid F1 fan, but it is the most dreary ‘sport’ going now. BBC would be well advised to resurrect saturday afternoon Rallycross that was some proper motorsport! Seeing as they cba with MotoGP…

MrOvershoot

dufusdip – Member
    BBC would be well advised to resurrect saturday afternoon Rallycross that was some proper motorsport!

Martin Schanche etc [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv_qOeOLYMg[/video]

jimster01

How’s about the been showing the lesser formula’s,bitd they used to show the formula ford festival,formula 3,Bathurst.

andyfla
    Free Member

BBC hates sport, so they are prob glad to toss out a bit more – I agree with the above comment about spending this money on more minority sports – lets bring back grandstand and inspire the next generation to do something rather than just watching sport

matt_outandabout

Good riddance.

+1

The BBC could spend less than the money they pay for F1, and be able to cover a massive variety of sports, motorised and other.

Does this mean that WRC may come back on BBC?
    Rallycross was also fun…

shermer75
    Free Member

That rally cross looks great. People really did look older in the olden days!! 🙂

pondo

I think the crux of it is that they had to save a vast boatload of money – having done so by axing F1, not sure if they’ll immediately leap into spending the cash elsewhere.

dragon
    Free Member

do we really need darts, snooker or golf on mainstream bbc.

Looks like they are dumping the darts and the golf contract for the Open was dumped before the F1 one.

However, the prices of some these events is escalating wildly, as Sky and BT can throw around more money than the others. TBH when you see some of the corruption at the top of these sports, maybe it is good the BBC isn’t funding them.

the-muffin-man

Sports coverage is divisive – if you don’t like the sport you see it as a waste of money.

The BBC could spend less than the money they pay for F1, and be able to cover a massive variety of sports, motorised and other.

But they won’t – the money isn’t being spent on other sports instead of F1, it’s being cut.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Good. Probably one of the dullest motor sports.

The Government is putting the screws on the BBC, something had to go, and any of my money that goes to Bernie I resent. Little git.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Maybe they could spend a bit less on football.

matt_outandabout

Maybe they could spend a bit less on football.

+10

MSP

I would hazard a guess that the football budget is pretty low, they show very little top class football, no live premiership, and ITV seem to have most of the internationals. Hence why they try and romanticise Scunthorpe sluggers playing st cuthberts retirement home ladies b team in the fa cup, when even those playing couldn’t give a flying ****.

They normally have just a few analysis shows (which are far from prime time), which is very cheap tv.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

I hope Channel 4 keep Lee Mckenzie on. I never understood why the Beeb hired Suzi when they already had a much better presenter reporting from the pits.

Suzi’s MotoGP eye-candy days were well behind her by then so I never really understood why she got the job.

DC would also be worth keeping on IMO.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

While I think the BBC generally do sport better than Sky/BT and I’d prefer to be able to watch F1, football, rugby and cricket all on the BBC, it’s obvious that the current government wants to get rid of the BBC, under pressure from Murdoch etc. With the budget cuts the BBC has to focus on what it does best, and with sport you’re just broadcasting an event that is taking place anyway, there’s only so much value you can add with analysis. Whereas much of the drama and documentaries that the BBC do wouldn’t get made otherwise.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d bet that rights for highlights of the premiership aren’t all that cheap – though personally despite not being a football fan at all I’d not argue for that to be cut (I even sometimes watch it – football highlights are sometimes bearable).

Here we go, £68 million a year
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/29/bbc-match-of-the-day-premier-league-highlights
    which is almost 10 times as much as they were paying for F1
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/9401725/BBC-saves-150m-in-Formula-1-deal-with-Sky.html

andyfla
    Free Member

£68 million a year

Jesus christ- why hasn’t that gone already ?

dragon
    Free Member

As a comparison in viewing figures MOTD was getting nearly 3.8 Million viewers on average in 2013-14 (i can’t find more recent figures) compared to 3.1 million for F1 in 2015. [MOTD2 is around 2.6 Million]. However, year on year the MOTD figures were going up, whereas F1 is going in the opposite direction.

Also the important thing is millions of kids and adults play football. How many race cars? In fact it seems F1 is more exclusive than ever with a grid packed with sons of ex-dirvers.

aracer
    Free Member

How many do ballroom dancing? If that was the correct criteria then the BBC should be spending their money on covering cycling and angling.

dragon
    Free Member

Swimming, athletics, cycling, and football are amongst the most popular sports in 2014/15

All of which are covered on the BBC. But football also has an entertainment value greater than most other sports.

aracer
    Free Member

A fascinating nil nil draw?

I’m actually surprised how low the numbers are watching MOTD compared to F1 – you’d clearly have to factor in the greater number of MOTD shows, but even so it costs a lot more per viewer.

dragon
    Free Member

Remember the time slots though F1 in a lot of cases is roughly prime time and MOTD is 10:30pm and often in Scotland is even later.

A nil nil draw can be perfectly exciting, the score doesn’t directly relate to the quality of the game. Conversely a 4-0 thrashing can at times be pretty dull.

MSP

£68 million a year

Jesus christ- why hasn’t that gone already ?

+1 even as a football fan, **** that.

I wonder how much something like “the hunt” costs to make, iirc they won’t admit a figure. I love the BBC natural history stuff, but each subsequent series seems to be getting a bit more glossy in the filming, and a little less substantive educationally.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Boo, no more F1 on BBC’ is closed to new replies.