Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bonty TLR + damn tight tyres
  • chubby_monk
    Free Member

Hi All

I've got a Trek Fuel EX8 with all the tubeless ready kit. I converted the front wheel yesterday without too much faff (nice crack when the tyre inflated which made me smile), but I'll be damned if I can do the rear wheel.

Basically the tyre is so tight to get on the rim I'm struggling to do it. I've got steel tyre levers, but that's not making it any easier. Having got fed up of sealant going everywhere I thought I'd try with a dry tyre and still can't get it on the rim.

Any tricks I don't know about?

Cheers

Lactic
    Free Member

If you've got another, non tubeless wheel stick the tyre on that with a tube. Blow up to 60psi and leave in a warm place, like an airing cupboard, overnight. This will stretch the bead a bit and make it easier to swap back on to the tubeless rim.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

loads of washing up liquid works for me.

+1 for Lactic's tip too

the bonty rims are a mare to get any tyre on at the best of times, I ride with 2 mates with Ex8's and I've got Bonty elite on my Zesty and we dread punctures, gonna convert to tubless this week before the Brecon Beast

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Thanks both.

I'll try the tyre on a different wheel.

Does washing up liquid react with the sealant at all?

And yup – my sole reason for going tubeless is because it's embarrassing on the side of the trail trying to get those tyres off and on – never experienced anything like it!

Cheers

Chubby

M6TTF
    Free Member

Technique is everything too – try pulling as much tyr round the rim to create a bit of slack. Pull the tyre up rather than rolling the bead over the edge too. Wetting the tyre and rim gives a bit more movement too.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Rear tyre on with two satisfying cracks. Think the washing up liquid made the difference, though still a bit difficult for my liking.

Really hope these things don't burp on the trail. Stupid wheels! Might be visiting the lbs to talk new wheels soon.

Cheers for advice folks

EccentricEllis

They're spot on wheels. I used to run mine at 15psi with a big earl up front and a mud x on the rear. Never changed them.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I've just converted to tubeless for the reason you mention, I don't want a puncture with these wheels as there are a pain to reseat the bead out on the trail.

Wheels are great so give them time to convince you chubby monk – on my first ride on tubeless on I was worried they'd burp and I'm a big fella but there was no such problem, it seams once you seat the bead it's there to stay!!!!

Northwind

Getting tyres back off these, now that's a laugh. Thought I was going to break my thumbs.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

your not far wrong there Northwind that's why tubeless has to be the best bet with these rims???

Northwind

I thought the best bet with these rims was to replace them tbh, even with tubeless I want the tyres to come back off some day :mrgreen: But they did work fine once sealed up.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Might give them a bit of time then.

Funny thing was when I replaced the tyres (not tubeless) on my hardtail immediately after – didn't need levers at all.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

OH well my tubeless Bonty's with non tubeless Nobby Nics worked a treat on the beast today.

Tubeless for ever more just means I can't swop tyres as often as found I need the old mans compressor to get the rear to inflate

br
    Free Member

But remember if you are running tubeless, you can use tyre levers to get the tyres on/off.

Kahurangi

Just put some UST's on TLR's today (Rubber Queen 2.4 on Rhythm Pro Scandium)

Pretty tight, I had to use zip ties to be able to work the bead round to get it over! Then inflate with tube in, remove, and repeat without tube in.

Went straight up, no messing though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bonty TLR + damn tight tyres’ is closed to new replies.