Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bonty 24/12 on a FS or HT?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Not sure what to ride at the 24/12 my Orange Five is set up nicely and I love riding it but obviously heavier than my HT (Kinsesis with average components). I went for a 3 hour ride on Sunday om my HT after getting it sorted for the 24/12. Having not ridden it for about 6 weeks on a decent ride I was reminded about the harsh rear end on rutted stuff and lack of traction on tech climbing. I am now in a quandry – most 'fitties' I gues will be clad in lyrca and on 80-100m HT's and I am or average fitness. What do you reckon?

bigsi
    Free Member

Take the bike you feel most comfortable on for long rides, either will be fine. Used my BlurLT last year, this year it's the 29er Alloy HT.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I used my Turner 5 spot last year, it was awesome fun. I'm sure my racy hardtail would have been slightly faster, but the spot was awesome fun on the downs. Cracking course, enjoy it!

You team or solo? I def want FS for a solo attempt on that course. I was hunky dory after 12 hours solo last year, I'd have been smashed to bits on my HT.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I'm doing team (part of 4) 12hr. Done the 24hr MM last year on my HT but didn't have my Five then 😉 – Think I enjoy the Five more and will love the descents more – I want to enjoy it rather than 'race' it 😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

take both and swap around as suits. either will be fine though.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup thought of that as well 😉 Didn't want to look like a bit of a cock i.e. faster riders with just the one bike and me there who can't decide but will get lapped anyway 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Sounds like the five is the machine to use then.

Olly
    Free Member

take both.

five would be my weapon of choice out of those two, but a spare is always good, and you never know you may feel fitter than u expected?

stumpy01

Take the 5 and enjoy it!

foxyrider
    Free Member

OK you all convinced me 😉 – I will take both as a spare – good idea Olly – then we got one spare between 4 of us!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

The course is open for practice laps on Friday. Why not do at least one on each bike and see which you prefer?

LESS THAN TWO WEEKS TO GO 😀

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh OK – might do that – I have done some soggy's and also the Shred west ride so I know teh Park fairly well – just being indecisive 😉

I'm trying to put a bit extra in the last few weeks to help me enjoy it rather than endure it 😉

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

If you want someone to decide for you, I'd say the 5.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you want someone to decide for you, I'd say the 5.

Thanks 😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

SM, shouldn't you be working!!!!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Nope. Afternoon tea break.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I should be but don't tell my boss!

Olly
    Free Member

Can you SS the HT bike?

Singlespeed it, and put some mud specific tyres on.
    then, if the heavens open and it turns into a quagmire, swap bikes and start mudplugging while everyone elses drivechains conk out or they fumble trying to swap to mud tyres 😀

thats what i do 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL – dont think I can easily SS without dropout mods etc 😉 Would have been good for some of teh soggies 😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

i never really got the whole, ss if its muddy thing, i regularly ride through all manner of muddy chossy conditions and not once in many years has my drive chain given up (i did have problems with chainsuck on my inbred but thats a separate issue which is now fixed).

'apparently' the course is very overgrown around cottage descent and the 'new bit along the river' at the moment so i hope they get in there with the strimmers soon.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If its like the cleave at lustleight or around Hennock it will be bad at the mo – def aggreee with the stimmers! Or have to wear long sleaves!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bonty 24/12 on a FS or HT?’ is closed to new replies.