• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bontrager TLR valve cores – how to remove?
  • fennesz
    Free Member

I need to take the valve cores from the presta valves to get some more Super Juice in. How do I do it? I don't want to go all brutish with pliers & knacker them.

The tyres are mostly sealed, but went down overnight so I guess more gunk is required.

scruff
    Free Member

Pliers.

fennesz
    Free Member

Do they screw out or just pull out?

Sam

They screw out. Unwind the portion below the valve itself (ie the threaded bit a valve cap would screw on to with flats on either side) from the valve stem.

fennesz
    Free Member

Thanks Sam. If I get it sorted tonight, the replacement Swift will get it's first ride this evening.

sockpuppet

screw

scruff
    Free Member

LBS might have some Mavic little plastic 'clips' which are infact mini spanners for removing valve cores, they come free with UST Mavic rims.

DezB
    Free Member

Not all valves have removable cores. If in doubt, just pop a section of bead off the rim and pour the juice in.

Sam

Every tubeless valve I've ever seen has a removable core – and most definitely the Bonty ones do.

DezB
    Free Member

Every tubeless valve I've ever seen has a removable core

So that means they all do? Jeez, there's always someone who has to argue!

BigJohn

I've got a spoke key that covers all different sizes and one of those is the perfect size.

But I prefer to pour the juice into the tyre after peeling a bit of bead off the rim. It saves risking breaking the rim seal.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I found the things kept spinning round when I attached a threaded pump 🙁 Hope you've done em up tight!

DezB
    Free Member

For Sam:

Now you've seen one without.

Yes, I know its not a Bonty TLR one, but then seeing as TLR stand for tubeless ready, I doubt there is such a thing.

fennesz
    Free Member

thanks all. valve now in bits. haven't put any juice in yet – thought better of going on night ride on a new build. best have the shake-down ride in day light.

Sam

Fair enough – I stand corrected. I'd seen Shimano, Mavic, Stan's and Bontrager ones – all of which had removable cores. Kinda silly not to have a removable core really – helps a lot with getting enough volume of air in there to get the tyre seated.

DezB
    Free Member

🙂 that's out of one of my old Crossmaxs

Sam

I guess they saw the error of their ways 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager TLR valve cores – how to remove?’ is closed to new replies.