Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Bontrager OMW Winter Shoes
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Hello

Anyone got a pair? Any good?

How do they size up?

Thanks

flatfish
    Free Member

Size is quite small, I’d go two sizes up.
    I bought one size up and I’ll only get a thin sock into it but having said that the liner boot should more than compensate for the lack of thick wooly sock.
    Not actually used yet as it’s not cold enough.
    If they perform as good as they look they should be good.

verbboy
    Free Member

ah many thanks flatfish.

I’ve always suffered with cold feet and these look perfect. I’m hopefully doing some fat biking in the alps for a few days and really worried cold feet will ruin it!

gil_

Literally just taken delivery of a pair from the Black Friday sales at Mantel, paid just over 100 GBP

On first trying them them they seem a little small I have UK13 feet so couldn’t “up size” having said that the liner boot is very comfortable and I can see it bedding in a little

Same reason, suffer from cold feet and doing the ‘puffer last year I swore I would get better boots for this year

Love the fact you can take the liner out, means you can dry them out far more easily, I only intend using a thin “summer” sock, think the liner will be more than enough

They will get and outing at the weekend

bruneep

Bargaintastic

anywhere cheaper than £178 then?

flatfish
    Free Member

Mantel had a black friday deal on that seems to have reverted back to £178
    Got mine for £107 inc P&P from Holland

verbboy
    Free Member

Yes seen them on Mantel – whilst £107 would be nice if they work well I’m happy to pay £178.

I’d rather wear just a thin pair of Merino sock as I imagine the liner will be very warm as it is.

Time to place an order I think!

Thanks all

monkeyp

Get some Lake MXZ303’s. Just got a set for about £140 from bike discount in Germany. Probably the most comfortable shoes I own!

verbboy
    Free Member

I fear the Lakes won’t be warm enough also they state water resistent as opposed to waterproof.

Saying that I’d prefer the boa closer on the lake.

Nice boot though!

vorlich
    Free Member

I was looking at these last week (thread on here), they do look good, but the lack of real world reviews put me off. The ankle closure looks more like it’s designed for subzero conditions than UK damp/puddles, so that put me off.

Went for the Lakes in the end, not used them yet. Will likely stick to flats/Haglofs boots and gaiters if out on the fatbike in snow, etc.

scotroutes

Another sizing question then (or at least re-stating the previous one); I normally go up 1 size for Shimano (so my MW81s are size 42). Likely to be the same or up again?

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m normally a 44 in a regular riding shoe. My MW80’s are 45.
    I bought OMW in 45 flavour.

verbboy
    Free Member

Agree they look like for sub zero temps, I simply get ice cold feet even in slightly wet 7 degree rides. Properly numb not a tad cold.

JoeG
    Free Member
    gil_

Just following up on this

The boots arrived and on closer inspection the right one seemed to have heavy material folds in the outer boot, the right boot was totally smooth on the inside, the ridges created pressure points on your foot even though the insulated boot

I contacted Mantel and eventually accepted it was a “faulty delivery” rather than a warranty issue, bit or a language barrier there I think

I have had to buy a second set and they will refund me when I return the first set including return carriage, or so I have been told

Currently waiting for second set to arrive in the next hour, once they are checked I’ll return the first set

Having to pay twice seemed strange but guess I can check the replacements and send them all back if there is the same issue…

gil_

Okay, second set turn up

This time the seams inside the left boot seem raised but the right boot is perfect

Looks like I’m making one perfect set out of 2…

Might be worth checking the seams inside the outer boot if you get chance, maybe it’s just because it the biggest (47) size but still not good on a high end boot

josemctavish
    Free Member

Keep us posted on your thoughts once you get a ride in them, I’m another interested party! Been thinking about something like these or possibly Wolvhammers for winter excursions.

bruneep

any further updates?

sizing 2 sizes up?

scotroutes

Still waiting for mine. Coming from Europe via Fort William

bruneep

purchased from?

JoeG
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

scotroutes » Still waiting for mine. Coming from Europe via Fort William

purchased from? [/quote]

Europe via Fort William 🙄

scotroutes

purchased from?[/quote]
    Nevis Cycles

flatfish
    Free Member

Used mine at the weekend for the first time.
    One size up is fine with a thin “summer” sock. My feet were perfect temperature, held out the ground water(although it wasnt sheeting down with rain), fit was good, sole grip was good.

Like.

scotroutes

Mine arrived today (after I’d left to go out riding in the snow!)

Look great, The inner boot is very cosy. Would be handy for wearing as a bootee in the sleeping bag when bivvying.

I’d ordered one size up (a 43 for me).I tried them on with a pair of Endura Winter Baa Baa merino socks and they are pretty much perfect with that. They wouldn’t take a thicker sock, unless of course the bootee packs down over time.

I’ll likely fit the supplied cleat bolt covers (with a bit of plumbers silicon in the bottom first) to ride in the snow.

bruneep

well thats a pr ordered from amazon.de

bruneep

well the boots arrived but I’ll need to go another size up, gone up 2 sizes now. 🙄

Anyone want size 42 boots?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’ll likely fit the supplied cleat bolt covers (with a bit of plumbers silicon in the bottom first) to ride in the snow.

You mean there’s a bleedin’ great hole in the sole?

scotroutes

You mean there’s a bleedin’ great hole in the sole?[/quote]Of course, how else are you going to fit cleats?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Of course, how else are you going to fit cleats?

And it lets water in?

scotroutes

Well, just like any other waterproof cycle shoe/boot (that I’ve yet come across) it has an internal waterproof liner. However, experience tells me that keeping this liner dry (by sealing up the cleat slots) makes the boot warmer.

bruneep

Worn for 1st time today and for the 1st time in many a ride roasty toasty feet.

Its a from me.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager OMW Winter Shoes’ is closed to new replies.