Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Bontrager 24/12 roll call…
  • Kryton57

Seems like the course is run backwards this year.

ndthornton
    Free Member

12hr Solo ticket going spare here if anyone wants one – or knows someone daft enough to want it….?

Saccades
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Which forecast are you looking at? The one I have is heavy showers/rain from 12:00am Sunday to the finish – much like last year.

If it stays that way I’m saving the fuel.

I’m coming from ireland and doing the torchbearer ):

I’m sticking a 40t cassette on with some ice spikers (great in mud) and 32 rounds of the rosary.

PrinceJohn

Which forecast are you looking at? The one I have is heavy showers/rain from 12:00am Sunday to the finish – much like last year.

If it stays that way I’m saving the fuel.

Man up buttercup 😉

richmars

After doing it for many, many years, I’ve found it best not to look at weather forecasts until Friday at the earliest. I only get depressed or full of false hope.
    It will be fun regardless.

colin9

24hr solo for me and a couple of mates. I rode a team 24 last year but felt like I wasn’t getting enough riding in!
    Should be good, although I have developed a swollen knee this week so hopefully that won’t cause problems.
    Part of me wants to take it easy and have a nice time, maybe a beer and a snooze, but when it comes down to it I’m sure I’ll be grinding round all night.

jay_tht
    Free Member

Got to say am really looking forward to the weekend. Not sure why but 24hrs of pedalling seems a great idea might not think that at 4am.

Kryton57

although I have developed a swollen knee

I’ve developed a boil under my gentlemans sack. That wasn’t part of the plan 😐

njee20
    Free Member

Get squeezin’!

Two pairs of shorts

MTFU.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Liberal application of arse butter and you’ll be fine.

Kryton57

Two pairs of shorts

But that would change my Pedal/Saddle length and KOPS, no way I’m doing that, imagine the loss of watts….

longmover
    Free Member

Soloist here, hideously unprepared and going to be lugging a Trigger round. Will probably try to get a couple of hours sleep overnight.

I have already resigned myself to coming last.

stumpy01

longmover – Member

That has been our team tactic since we started doing the Twentyfour12 & it’s held us in good stead. Crack on & enjoy it! 😆

We’ll cheer you on – look out for the Salsa gazebo…..somewhere trackside in the main field.

colin9

Unlikely. Last year’s results show that of the 86 24hr soloists, sixteen didn’t make more than five laps and three only managed one lap.

richmars

That has been our team tactic since we started doing the Twentyfour12

You never told me that!
    I’ve been riding my nuts off every year while you lot just mince around!
    (may not be true)

Saccades
    Free Member

Car packed with my stuff, waiting on a mate to finish work and pop down before we set off for the ferry early doors tomorrow.

Hard packing for potential mudfest when the sun is splitting the flags outside.

I must be awful at packing as the mondeo estate looks quite full already…

Kryton57

Does anyone do a 24h on a hardtail? I’m looking and my (new, shiny) racebike and thinking “oooh, lightweight! Less to go wrong!” and at the same time my Anthem thinking “oooh, comfy, heavier! Leaves might stick in it”.

This may just be pre race worry of course 8)

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, loads of people.

amedias
    Free Member

people have been known to do it rigid too, and not slowly…

rOcKeTdOg

97er+ rigid here

rOcKeTdOg

mudfest

Eh? Forecast I’m looking at doesn’t say that

jam-bo

Forecast seems to be settling down for the weekend down here. It’s pretty dry already so as long as it’s showers and not sustained it should hold up ok.

julianwilson
    Free Member

local trails are a a joyful swoopy dust-fest 2 miles away from newnham park.
    Gutted not to be doing it this year as clashes with my daughter’s birthday, I have done every one (at newnham that is, not the very first one) either in 24hr teams or as torchbearer 4 times (my best race result ever was when I came third in torchbearer on the ridiculously flooded red weather warning year as pictured earlier in tis thread 8) ), which btw since the demise of the 6pm-6am version of the erlestoke 12 is now also the bestest 12 hour solo race ever, much quieter on the course, because well over half the riders stop after the first 12 hours, and small hours/dawn laps rule!

Get here tomorrow afternoon and make a super long camping weekend of it.
    And get thee to the Miner’s Arms nearby, its proper good there. Jail Ale FTW.

adsh
    Free Member

Lots of people may do 24hrs on HTs but at 12hr races I get a lot of comments from HT riders jealous of my Spearfish (as they pass me)

Unless it was billiard smooth I couldn’t.

coomber
    Free Member

Local showers might happen but forecast is awesome and been baking here (near Exeter) for ten days.

amedias
    Free Member

few little showers today, nothing heavy, still warm, likely to be OK for the race!

PrinceJohn

10.2km laps, the top guys and girls will be smoking round.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s short! Double laps ahoy.

longmover
    Free Member

My Plan A for the solo 24hr is to ride until nightfall, have a decent kip then ride again just before first light. This will go completely out the window once i’m on lap 3 and having an ice cream.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I’m riding 12hr pairs with mboy.

Packing has so far focused on bbq, suitable food and drink. We won’t be troubling the podium.

njee20
    Free Member

Snap on 12 hour pairs. I’ve not considered packing yet.

mboy
    Free Member

We won’t be troubling the podium.

Damned straight!

Packing has so far focused on bbq, suitable food and drink.

This packing you talk of… Sounds a little organised! 😉

Joking aside, will be glad to ride a few hours on a decent track, catch up with some friends, and have a couple of pints after… I think these kind of events are so much better when there’s no pressure to actually do quite well!

PrinceJohn

Yes packing…. Will start that soon.

Getting my haircut first, it’s important to have good aerodynamics and look on point.

Kryton57

Longmover- sleeping wtf? 😉

Arrived, tent is up and drying out from last years event…

The Pivots look inviting… :-/

longmover
    Free Member

Just remember that the 2 am hallucinations about big cats in the woods may actually a big cat.

wonnyj
    Free Member

This packing you talk of… Sounds a little organised!

Simon (Loco) is already there and has spread the contents of his van over a suitable area to accommodate us all.

IdleJon

longmover – Member
    Just remember that the 2 am hallucinations about big cats in the woods may actually a big cat.

And to add to the lynx that I posted about…..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/21/beast-of-bodmin-mystery-solved-as-dartmoor-zoo-released-pumas-in/

😆

stumpy01

Give us a wave…

Kryton57

Good luck to everybody, enjoy the next 24hrs. Signing off now to top up some tan lines before the start 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

Good luck all. After an 8hr ride on the Ridgeway I was very glad not to be racing for 12hrs.

Anthem definately correct choice for the more decrepit rider.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager 24/12 roll call…’ is closed to new replies.