Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bontrager 24/12
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Anyone done / doing this sort of event?

Agreed to it in a drunken moment at a xmas party and now having to consider how I'm going to transform myself from downhiller / casual trail rider.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Good event – good course and atmosphere. If you're doing it solo you need to train up – if you're in a team it's reasonably straightforward – provided you don't want to win of course…

Ti29er
    Free Member

10th in the men's pairs in 2009.
    Good course and atmosphere.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not bothered about winning, for a starters my choice of bike is between a Session 88 and burly built meta 5. If you do it as a team can you sub on and off as you please then?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You can work it any way you like – depends on your mates really 😉

13th in Men's Pairs 2009 😕

slugwash
    Free Member

Anyone done / doing this sort of event?

Yep, Shinythings of this forum has entered four of us in a Star Wars themed comedy race team. I know that the **** fronted the money for the venture but I don't really want to be riding under the apellation of Yoda of Team Wookie's Handmaidens everytime I pedal past the commentary box so I'm having a meeting with him tomorrow to see if we can work a little on the team identity 😉

See you there Stormtooper!

bol

Yep, you can swap around as you like. Worth staying out for a couple of laps at a time through the night though, to give each other the chance to get some kip. I did the 24 as part of a team of four last year and loved it (once I'd got the first couple of laps out of the way). I was on a stumpy which felt perfect for me. Give it a go.

slugwash
    Free Member

Wow! Awesome Darkside influence on the STW forum. In my post above ^^^ I typed in the letters C T N U, but not in that order nor the more rude order and the force still asterixed it out!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Wow! Awesome Darkside influence on the STW forum. I typed in the letters C T N U, but not in that order nor the more rude order and the force still asterixed it out!

I found that out today too, turns out if you link your swearing together it doesn't happen I went for a combination of tnuctihs and got away with it for about 5 mins on the 'Bans' thread.

0091paddy
    Free Member

One of the best circuits I've ridden, really enjoyed it. Fair bit of climbing though..so get training 😉

3rd in the team 12hour. 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Well, I'm an average rider, I just did a few extra miles last year and did okay in the 12hour solo class. Didn't do any specific training like intervals and stuff, just rode my bike lots and tried to smile and enjoy it. I was very lucky and got looked after between laps by some mates who were properly fast and racing for podiums, so that was really kind of them, which really helped.

It's a good course with a nice atmosphere. So yeah, ride your bike as much as possible and enjoy yourself. It's not a race after all, erm, well, you know…

Ti29er
    Free Member

The only draw back is it's closer to the US coast than any other event I can think of – bloomin' miles away from civilisation.
    Set off now and you'll be there in time.
    😉

stumpy01

It's a great event – done it twice now in team of 4. We just treat it as a bit of a cycling weekend away, rather than a race.

There's a great atmosphere, the course is good – even last yr when they had to make changes because of the weather before the event.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager 24/12’ is closed to new replies.