Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bonking
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Hit a wall 47 mile in today on my solo road ride. Was averaging a lovely 20 in the morning mist kept going longer than planned. No gels no food, bamb it really was like hitting a wall. Nothing left at all.

Normal climbs I big ring were completed in granny.

Ever been in a similar position? Lesson learned to carry some change and a gel or two.

bigsi
    Free Member

Yeah the first ride back after a few mths off with broken collar bone we did a 45 mile of road map ride as a group. Got 7 miles from home & had to get someone to come out & rescue me as just couldn’t function anymore.

Was horrible and something i will never repeat. Always make sure i have energy gels & a bit of food with me on long rides now.

Lesson learnt.

d45yth
    Free Member

Always eat 250-400 calories every hour (depending on your size/metabolism), especially on rides longer than two hours.

chakaping
    Free Member

Done it a couple of times, not for ages though, always carry energy stuff now.

stucol
    Free Member

Just in from a road 50. Two cereal bars and a banana. Feel slightly tired and a bit hungry.

Not tried gel yet, cant really say it appeals to me. I mean, i’m not trying to win anything, even in sportives i just like taking part.

Did a 165 mile ride, as part of a 12 hour audax, many moons ago with not a clue about nutrition. Memories of raiding the spare food box at the halfway halt (in Crianlarich Youth Hostel) and stuffing biscuits down my throat at the Johnstone wheelers clubhouse knowing i still had 20 miles to ride home. Was too exhausted to notice when i bonked but i did make it home.

Know nowadays to eat regularly.

bonj
    Free Member

I find i don’t need gels if I eat properly. Normal meal times possibly just slightly more of it. And ‘averaging a lovely 20’? not surprised you bonked try not hooning it along so blooming fast you nutter

amt27
    Free Member

last year, decided to do a 40 milers on Sat and Sun, as training for an event, could easily do this a few month before, but had been off the bike for a while,

blew up at 35 mile point, ended up scratching around on the forest floor looking for chestnuts to eat,

Davesport

Yup, riding a longish XC loop with no shortcut back to beginning. About 4 clicks from the end I was running on empty. I knew what had happened straight away. I’d had a small bowl of wheaties for breakfast & 2 smallish bottles of water for four hours of riding obviously wasn’t enough. I was so effed I contemplated abandoning the bike in the scrub. Pedaling up any incline was torture so I walked until I was able to freewheel. The deep muscle cramps I suffered later on were excruciating. Mrs Davesport complained bitterly that my cramps were frightening the children 😀 & removed herself & the kids to another part of the house.

I now carry a handful of cereal bars & a bag of jelly babies. On rides longer than two hours I use Clif drink mix from when I set off. It makes a big difference for me. I don’t want to revisit the bonking thing……ever.

One thing the experience did highlight was that I’d been close to hitting the wall several times before on my road bike & had wondered what was happening 😕

It’s easy to avoid.

D.

Bregante

Horrible feeling. A night on the ale followed by a onepieceoftoastisallIcanfacethismorning breakfast led to me bonking half way up the leg burner at Nant-Y-Aran a few years back. Lesson learned.

ps44
    Free Member

Only one bad one towards the end of a 100K enduro. Luckily it was at the top of the last climb, so it was pretty much coast home and fall into cake tent. However, going down a steep rutted track with my hands going numb was a bit sketchy, and the last mile on the flat almost defeated me. Interesting to experience.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It nearly got me the other weekend. I was aiming for a 20mph average on the Christmas Cracker ride, but I didnt enter officially so I couldnt get any food at the foodstop. All was going well, but the last 10 miles I just died on, had to draft a mountain biker for the last 3 miles, didnt have the energy to pass him.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bonking’ is closed to new replies.