Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Bona fide killer egg poaching tip
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

Hmm, I was hoping for some killer eggs here.

bonchance
    Free Member

one egg is un ouef

grum
    Free Member

I really don’t get the issue. Boil water, drop temp a touch, swirl, put in eggs, leave 2, maybe 2.5 mins. Serve. Easy.

That’s what I used to say, and I can do it fine that way too but the way I described works better.

Glad you got on with it sadexpunk! Everyone who didn’t, you’re doing it wrong.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I like to poach them in a tablespoon of olive oil….can’t fail….

convert

Those poachers and silicone pouches….If only there was a more natural way to cook your eggs. If only they sold them in some sort of holder or casing that you could put in the boiling water and remove them from later.

Spin
    Free Member

Just tried the OP’s method and it worked very well.

wzzzz
    Free Member

you are all over thinking it. Still water and drop distance are key.

boil the water in kettle, add to a frying pan don’t go mad with the amount of water

bring to boil, turn down, wait till water is completely still.

crack the egg on a mug not the pan

open egg immediately over the still water so it doesn’t have far to drop.

put toast on

teasel
    Free Member

I’m not interested in taking credit for it because it wasn’t my tip originally but in the interests of clarity perhaps Sadexpunk can tell us which method he actually used as his example technique on the other page reads remarkably similar to the one I posted…

Sad’s : hot water out the tap into a pan, eggs in pan whilst kettle boils, fill a frying pan with kettle water, keep pan on lowest setting so no bubbles, crack eggs into pan.

Mine : Warm eggs in a bowl of warm water.
    Frying pan of water with just enough water to cover the egg.

Boil water & turn off heat. Just as water stops bubbling, drop in egg. Let it sit there for a couple of mins, spoon a bit of water over the top of the egg for a minute.

Additional – I use hot tap water so probably around 60 degrees for as long as it takes to boil enough water (in a kettle) for your pan. I heat the frying pan as the kettle is boiling and then go on with the bubble tip above.

OPs : Get the water to almost boiling, then put the eggs into the water in their shells and roll them around gently for 10 seconds – then crack them into the pan.

🙂

Also…

.If only there was a more natural way to cook your eggs. If only they sold them in some sort of holder or casing that you could put in the boiling water and remove them from later.

Heh

slowoldman

Oh well, in the end I couldn’t be bothered to change my routine. So hot, not boiling water it was, a little vinegar, crack the eggs straight in.

Delicious and nice looking eggs.

convert

Successful pre-dipping attempt this lunchtime here. 3 pretty old eggs (display un 5ht March, Best before 12th – will I die?) and definitely less of a milky mess than I’d usually get with eggs that old straight from the fridge.

I did invoke the marmite the toast before placing the eggs on sub clause which might be controversial to some.

Cougar

Your first mistake is putting eggs in the fridge. You’re not American, stop that.

convert

Your first mistake is putting eggs in the fridge. You’re not American, stop that.

This seems to be one of the most inconstantly answered questions on the internet! Eggs in fridges definitely last longer; but they degrade faster in the cold; but they might take on tastes from other stuff in the fridge; that they need to remain a constant temperature so the fridge is the best place in the home; but you can’t smell if they are off if they are cold; that they are only stored at room temp in the store as they would get condensation on the shell on the way home and as its porous thats a great way for it to take in bacteria…..and on and on….

Cougar

You’re overlooking one important factor. This is STW, therefore I’m right and everyone else is wrong. (-:

The whole thing of putting eggs in the fridge is because the US treat eggs differently. By law in the US eggs have to be sold washed which potentially damages the shell and increases the risk of salmonella infection, in the UK the opposite is true and eggs cannot be sold washed, we mitigate the risk of salmonella by inoculating our hens. This is where the contradictory advice comes from.

If you put eggs in the fridge, as you say, you risk contamination from other strong flavours like smoked cheese, cut onions etc. It’s not necessary.

deepreddave
    Free Member

^^^^ egg school day which is good. Still staying in the fridge though.
    I’ve a Lakeland microwave poacher thing which a mate recommended. Tried it and went straight back to the pan method. Pretoast the toast to ensure it’s ready when the eggs are.

Cougar
    slowoldman

Pretoast the toast to ensure it’s ready when the eggs are.

This is of course hugely important. The buttered toast needs to be ready just as the eggs are coming out of the pan. The timing is critical.

Marmite? With something as delicately wonderful as a poached egg? No thanks.

jonnyboi

OP, it worked for me fine, a good tip if you want to do multiple eggs. I did pop a small amount of vinegar in and my eggs were about, hmmm 3 or 4 hours old 🙂

Cougar

Marmite? With something as delicately wonderful as a poached egg? No thanks.

A poached egg? With something as delicately wonderful as Marmite? No thanks.

zippykona

With my method on the other page there’s no water ,no mess and you get all the egg.
    Most importantly you can easily do it at work.
    It means that you can easily do Parma ham, dark green leaf with a poached egg on top for lunch. Total joy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eggs boiled in a kettle, now yer talking….

simondbarnes

With my method on the other page there’s no water ,no mess and you get all the egg.
    Most importantly you can easily do it at work.
    It means that you can easily do Parma ham, dark green leaf with a poached egg on top for lunch. Total joy.

You clearly don’t understand what poaching is.

tewit
    Free Member

We eat loads of eggs as we’ve our own hens and ducks. We just use the saucepan method, no problems. Again as a few have said, use the freshest eggs. The older ones come apart a bit but still taste great.
    I really can’t understand all the fannying about? with eggs. 😉

poolman
    Free Member

I just ate poached eggs done the old school way, frying ban, water off boil, i love them. Anyway, i keep eggs in the fridge as my catering tutor told me the bacteria on the shell surface can pass through the shell at room temps.

Maybe false but she was a good chef so i believed her.

sweepy
    Free Member

I used to work at an egg wholesaler and they weren’t refrigerated there.

Fresh eggs get poached in the pan, not so fresh get boiled in the shell for 6 mins, then stop cooking by putting in cold water, shell and there you have it, cooked but soft eggs, they aren’t poached but are a million times better than those plastic poacher travesties.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I guess this is something that comes naturally because I’ve never had to rely on bespoke pans, vinegar or cling film.

My own tip, if you’ve got to knock up a load of them for the family, I use the wok, half full of water to stop them moving about too much.

Cougar

Incidentally,

Why are you all using frying pans? That seems suboptimal to me, you’re using a pan a foot across to cook something the size of, erm, an egg. What’s the thinking here?

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m not cooking one, two to four generally and I want them separate.

edhornby

They are eggs, they come in a ready made cooking vessel called a shell. Just fing boil the egg

sadexpunk

another success, same method as before topped with black pepper, chopped chillis and feta cheese.

I’m not interested in taking credit for it because it wasn’t my tip originally but in the interests of clarity perhaps Sadexpunk can tell us which method he actually used as his example technique on the other page reads remarkably similar to the one I posted..

oops, just re-read first page, it is indeed your method that im using teasel rather than OPs, so thanks for that and apologies 🙂

FWIW i tried OPs ‘dipping in boiling water’ method before but when cracking the eggs, a thin lining of egg was sticking to the shell, so wasted egg. admittedly not much, but with teasels ‘tap water’ method this isnt happening.

theyre turning out so well theyre overtaking scrambled eggs as my favourite now.

teasel wins 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Despite sadexpunk’s confusion I think a consensus is developing that I am spectacularly correct.

Edit: I don’t get the frying pan thing either. Remain to be convinced about the fridge also.

teasel
    Free Member

No probs, man. Like I wrote, it’s another forum user’s words I used. I was an advocate of the clingfilm method until I tried the frying pan idea.

What’s the thinking here?

Lots of eggs in one sitting.

*belches*

GrahamS

They are eggs, they come in a ready made cooking vessel called a shell. Just fing boil the egg

You should write a book.
    Egg Cuisine by edhornby

Boiled Egg:

Poached Egg:

Fried Egg:

Scrambled Egg:

Omelette:

Quiche:

Meringue:

😀

simondbarnes

🙂

slowoldman

A poached egg? With something as delicately wonderful as Marmite? No thanks.

Weirdo.

grum
    Free Member

So much marmite, mmm…

graemecsl
    Free Member

Got to say thanks for this tip, it went down exactly as described and earned me brownie points, – ta.

bodgy
    Free Member

Strictly speaking eggs cooked in any of those pod gadgets are coddled, not poached. Just saying.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks op..used this method the other day and worked a treat

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I tried (for the 1st time in my 60 years) this morning… boiling some water in a smallish saucepan, (in the meantime breaking 2 eggs into a cup) took the pan off the boil & swirling the water then pouring the eggs in & putting the pan back on for a few minutes. No vinegar.

Spot On!
    Had them on toast with Pate

(& for the record they were free range (£1.50 a dozen) & straight out of the chiller)

hooch1987
    Free Member

Eager to try the op idea. Though I have good results with cracking the eggs into an espresso cup or small mug and pouring it in to the water slightly submerged.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Bona fide killer egg poaching tip’ is closed to new replies.