Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bolt on versus Bolt through
  • vinnyeh

Looking at changing a rear ProII to one of these two, on a frame with qr dropouts – any opinions as to which is preferable, and why? Is it best to go with the Hope kits, or are there other manufacturer options?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i find something that secures my wheel into the frame snugly and tight while maintaining the ability to release quickly for punctures/getting it in the car.

oh wait…..

*edit IME – folk having issues with Qrs need to step away from the anodised bling / hope and get a set of shimano XT skewars.

by all rights i should be dead using SIDS , Ti xlite skewars and riding hard … if i believed what i read on here id be digging my own grave already !

retro83
    Free Member

*edit IME – folk having issues with Qrs need to step away from the anodised bling / hope and get a set of shimano XT skewars.

Well I had a set of Deores drop the wheel out of my Project IIs under braking, and they were done up bastard tight.

WRT the OP, I heard the Bolt-Up bolts were made of cheese, so I'm using the bolt through option with the SuperStar 10mm QR. Working very nicely so far.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I heard the Bolt-Up bolts were made of cheese – they are and have big course threads on them that make them a night mare. you have to get them overtight imho to get them to stay in . I have complained to hope several times about this issue on my pro 2 SS and nothings changed , they do send me out new axels every time though !

as for deore skewar dropping out – you do realise overtightening a QR is as bad as too loose , can stretch the bar and worse still you can overcam it so it goes tight – then loosens off again when it gets over the max od of the cam and starts to fall down otherside ! – and while i dont see the need for bolt up – anyone that rides a fork with no lawyers lip tabs and disk brakes needs their head looking at !

vinnyeh

cheers. I'm quite happy with XT skewers on the current bikes, but I'm looking at a frame where there's quite a few people suggesting that changing from qr's can reduce some of the flex in the back.

retro83
    Free Member

as for deore skewar dropping out – you do realise overtightening a QR is as bad as too loose , can stretch the bar and worse still you can overcam it so it goes tight – then loosens off again when it gets over the max od of the cam and starts to fall down otherside ! – and while i dont see the need for bolt up

Okay so how do you know how tight is 'too tight'? It's not like you can use a torque wrench on them. What I described as bastard tight above, might be somebody elses 'loosey goosey'. Mine were done up by hand, so they hurt my palm a bit when they were closing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha – by definition bastard tight is bordering stripping the thread – or at least any shop ive worked in thats what we used as accepted defintion – its not a dig its just some info im not saying either of those are whats happening im just saying too tight can be as bad as too loose when it comes to QR and i guess thats why folks want bolt up as a bolts much easier than a cam to judge tightness

cynic-al
    Free Member

worse still you can overcam it so it goes tight – then loosens off again when it gets over the max od of the cam and starts to fall down otherside !

Mince!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I use a Pro2 with a DT RWS 10mm skewer thing. It works a treat. On the front it is a Maxle or a Maxle-alike on every bike. Two QR loosenings on Fox Forx (both Shimano QRs too!) did it for me.

A pal has just bought a Hope Ti QR set for his Orange Five with 140mm Marzocchis on the front. I'm worried about that set up, but he doesn't seem to see any potential issues.

trail_rat
    Free Member

course it is.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I was under the impression that the QR should leave an imprint on your hand as you close it – you can read a negative of "close" on your hand. That is tight enough.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Got the bolt up and bolt thro options on two of my wheelsets, both give a noticable reduction in flex from the back of my fsr linkage. Prefer the bolt thro but no difference in performance IMO.

jimmyshand
    Free Member

In my experience anything other that a Hope QR will do the job nicely. They are the worst bit of bike kit I have had the misfortune to purchase and yes I have purchased Superstar and Crank Brothers kit.

InATrance
    Free Member

Hope skewers are fine

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Mince.

world.of.spam

I heard bad things about bolt up hubs,ie they come loose often and when they do the threads of the bolts that are in contact with the drop out tend to chew them up.
    I went for the bolt through pro 2 conversion, with a hope saint axle and a superstar 10mm qr nut,does up nice and tight,never comes loose and you are not going to get a stiffer set up with standard drop outs on the back.
    For the record I once had a pair of mag 21"s with the long travel conversion (2.2 inches of travel)and a radial spoked front wheel held in with a x-lite titanium skewer.I don't have to tell you what it was like but we all know better now don't we.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bolt on versus Bolt through’ is closed to new replies.