Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Boiler recommendations – experiences please
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I'm currently tendering for a new boiler and i've had 3 quotes in the region of £1700.
    Thing is a mate recommended a Worcester-Bosch model. I've had one bloke round who is basically a dealership for W-B and another chap who also was happy to fit one.
    Third bloke slagged them off and recommended a Potterton model (never heard of them TBH).
    Baxi models seem to get a slating so what to go with?

anjs
    Free Member

Had a new WB last year and combined with cavity wall filling we cut our gas bill by a third

GrahamA
    Free Member

I have a Worcester-Bosch combi boiler and its had one problem in the 6 years I have lived in the house (I think that the boiler is about 10 years old). In that case it cost about £100 to repair.

When I had some building work done a few years ago one of the builders told me that they were very good but expensive to fix when they went wrong.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

My plumber mate who's been in the business for 20 years fits Halstead as first choice. He does seem to rate WB though.

I mentioned Baxi to him recently and he came out in a rash. Then was sick.

Hope this helps.

Pieface

WB supposed to be good but Valliant seem to get most of the votes on DIY forums.

AndyP
    Free Member

Vaillant. WB expensive and by the sounds of things on the forae, no more reliable.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

If i go with W-B from the dealer bloke i get a 5 yr warranty.

Hmmm..

sm
    Free Member

Had a WB for nearly ten years. Brought service contract two years ago, had a problem last winter and when WB came out they just changed all the major components rather than trying to find a fix. Basically almost a new boiler. Worth the contract money.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

WB here – been fitted 6 yrs and yesterday had the first issue – phone WB last night at 7 pm – this morning at 9.30 am the engineer arrived to fix it. £210 fixed price for the repair – £100+ fan replaced and full service. The price would have been the same no matter what the issue

The boilers are expensive to buy but I wouldn't consider anything else. It produces so much hot water that the shower just about takes the skin off your back.

ddmonkey

I have Vailant for years and very happy. Reliable and efficient so far. I have heard of Potterton but not had one.

justme
    Free Member

DONOT under any circomstances buy a baxi we did and it has never run for 6 months without failing in a big way they are utter shite and deserve the slating they get
    thank **** for bg contracts g

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Potterton are a bit rubbish too.
    Depends on your budget and whether you want a combi or system boiler.
    Also, if it's going on to an old pipe system and it's not powerflushed, you're asking for trouble. The heat exchanger will block up and can't be fixed. Draining off a few times just is not good enough, so it needs to be installed correctly.

GlennG
    Free Member

We specify Vaillant EcoTech 24s for all of our developments and as far as I am aware its also our sub-contractors prefered choice of boiler as well, seem very reliable.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Had a Vailant EcoTec for the past 5 years – faultless and efficient and not very expensive. Potterton are a pretty well known name. My parents have had one for years and that has been pretty much ok but I don't know how much they are or what their current models look like.

I had never heard of Vailant before we had it fitted but the plumber was adamant that they were solid boilers.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hmm. Confused now!

It seems Potterton are part of the Baxi Group so that troubles me, although they seem to have a good name.
    W-B seem to have a good name but parts are expensive?
    Never heard of Valiant though.

(know **** all about boilers BTW)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

is it 'valiant' or 'vaillant'?

TheSanityAssassin

Vaillant.

Fit and forget.

swiss01
    Free Member

i have a vaillant. by and large reliable. did have a contract with vaillant but their engineers? idiots. had a problem a couple of years ago that they failed to sort in four visits. local plumber, five minutes, no problems since.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

http://www.valiantcycles.com

dont think they do boilers though!!!

grantway
    Free Member

WB all the time mate had a couple of Valiant combos
    and nothing but problems

joe1678

As a heating engineer i'd say Worcester Bosch and Vaillant are both of a high standard, I prefer Vaillant but the Worcester back up is excellent, best Service Engineers, good spares availability and good call centre.
    Baxi/Potterton are no worse than other makes and are British so the back up and spares supply is pretty good. Same comment for Glowworm (Almost the same company as Vaillant now).
    Not a massive fan of Ideal boilers but their spares have good availability and most engineers are experienced in working on them.
    I personally like Alpha boilers but they are up there with Worcester and Vaillant on cost.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Boiler recommendations – experiences please’ is closed to new replies.