Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Boiler death !!
  • j5kol
    Free Member

Well it looks like my boiler has decided to call it a day. Had a strong smell of burning coming from it this morning. I have had a very friendly plumber round to take a look at it and his initial diagnosis was the gas valve was defective. After replacing this we now have no burning smell but there seems to be a problem with the flow of gas. I now sit in anticipation that the friendly plumber may come across a solution however knowing how things always turn out i will be looking at a new boiler.
    Any recommendations ??

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive just fitted a vaillant one to our house. So far so good A rated was easy to install and operate. £970 for the eco pro 28 bigger than we need but gives spare capacity if we ever extend.

bennn
    Free Member

Second the Vaillant opinion, as a gas engineer they’re well made and easy to use.

Where abouts in the country are you?

lump

Before buying one make sure you have checked out eco boiler replacements schemes. Loads to choose from on google, dont buy if you can get one for free

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Had a Worcester fitted in July. we considered a Vaillant but the Worcester had an 8 year warranty. My parents have a recently fitted Vaillant that makes funny noises. Plus I’d rather have a British boiler than a foreign one.

We also go the Hive box fitted at the same time (£160 – £140 for the unneeded Worcester timer). That seems to be very good. Just don’t leave the thermostat on the window sill in the sun. You get loads of emails saying your house is too hot!

parkesie
    Free Member

Worcester sounds british until you realise the full name worcester bosch group 🙂

Have one of their oil fired boilers in another house no dramas with that one either.

Murray
    fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

And youll find the vaillant is made in the UK as well… Vaillant all day long imho. You can get 7 year warranty on a vaillant with an advance istaller. On the plus model that is. If you wanted internet control honeywell evo is where its at

z1ppy

Any views on ‘Ideal’ boilers?
    Looking to replace ours and have been offered one for seemingly quite a bit less than the equivalent ’30’ Worcester (getting written quote for both later) & includes a ‘free’ (£100) magnaclean and also has a 5 year warranty with no “get out” clauses, just a yearly “gas safe” engineer service.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Before buying one make sure you have checked out eco boiler replacements schemes. Loads to choose from on google, dont buy if you can get one for free

No such thing as free.

Either they will have an interest in your house(if they are recieving the rhi payments) making it hard to sell as many mortgage cos dont like this.

Or youll be tied into nice expensive fuel like the calor lpg offer , nice free tank and boiler , nice expensive fuel.

No experiance of ideal but ime of worcester , they are worth the extra – how ever i have been oil for the last 5 years. On various boilers but my parents put a worchester 35 in when they moved into current house 14 years ago… Still marching on no issues.

z1ppy

Doesn’t look like we qualify, as our boiler is oldish but a gas combi, and neither of us are on benefits.

Worcester seems to be the default choice (or valliant) going by previous threads, but todays ‘quoting’ plumber seemed enthusiastic about the Ideal (£700: no doubt +vat) which is well below our previous Worcester quote of £1440 (inc vat) but then we haven’t got the full quote details from both yet to compare properly.

midlifecrashes

No such thing as free.

Either they will have an interest in your house(if they are recieving the rhi payments) making it hard to sell as many mortgage cos dont like this.

Not always so. If you’re looking at a Green Deal, it can be a loan scheme, with a tie on the house. If you’re on benefits, or ancient, or otherwise skint (income <£15.5k and full child tax credits), there are still fully funded boiler replacement schemes for boilers over 7 yr old, through the major energy suppliers, HelpLink and others. True, they aren’t free, but every energy customer is paying for them with the hefty levy on our gas/elec bills.

https://www.npower.com/at_home/applications/Tactical/eligibilitycheck/overview.aspx

ski
    Free Member

Worcester Bosch are not available on the Eco deals sadly and yes I can confirm they are made in Worcester, I work at the factory 😉

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

I had an ideal system boiler with a pressurised cylinder fitted last year.
    I got a 7 year warranty on the boiler, So far I’m really impressed with it.

daveh
    Free Member

If you’re installing a combi in a low pressure area check the minimum pressure for quoted water flow, last I looked Worcester needed loads more pressure than Vaillant and therefore actual flow could be quite a bit less than quoted.

z1ppy

Any employee discount you want to pass along ski? Annoying the g/f has just started working @ the blackpole factory but for an external company

ski
    Free Member

Think we get discount on 3 boilers a year Z1ppy drop me an email, not sure what the terms are but can ask for you?

bigad40
    Free Member

I fitted an ideal logic plus Nice boiler, nice price.
    I have been fitting vaillant and Worcester for the last 7 years both are good.
    No call backs to any Vaillant
    Worcester had a couple of issues but all sorted next working day.
    Try getting your old boiler fixed 1st.

Inbred456
    Free Member

When we fitted our kitchen 12 plus yrs ago we had our potterton gloworm serviced. Our boiler engineer said it was past it and would need replacing cos he could no longer get parts for it. Well touch wood it is still going strong. I don’t believe all this new boiler will save you money bollox. When it dies it will be replaced with the cheapest Bosch that will fit. Until then all hail the Gloworm!

z1ppy

Cheers will do Ski.

Our boilers had it, been nursing it through the last couple of winters, the expansion camber(?) needs replacing & we really enclosed it a bit too closely with a new kitchen so we’re moving it & replacing it

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I don’t believe all this new boiler will save you money bollox

It might save you 5% or thereabouts of your gas bill… Takes a lot of years of 5% to pay back a boiler install.

+1 for ‘Fix the old one.’

29erKeith
    Free Member

When I spoke to my gas man over the road about a new boiler which we’ll be doing within the next year, he said Vaillant were his no.1 choice, most reliable and best to work with\fit. Worchester were his no.2 nearly as good but in general everything was just a bit more compact which he said made them more fiddly to work with and also a touch more fragile\less reliable.

If the boilers not that old I’d probably fix it though, mine’s a huge cast iron floor thing with pilot light which looks like it could have come from the ark! it has to go asap

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Boiler death !!’ is closed to new replies.