Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Boil in the bag omelette
  • Stoner
    Free Member

I love eggs for breakfast. But cooking eggs on bivvy trips makes a mess. I’ve previously put eggs in a stainless steel coffee flask, shaken it up and cooked scrambled eggs in the pan. But I only really do that if I have a plentiful supply of water for the washing up afterwards. A trip planned later this week is going to have limited water for any washing. So I was wondering if you could boil scrambled eggs in the bag….

I found an online “How to” and thought I’d have a go at a practice run for breakfast this morning.

Beaten eggs, seasoning and some bacon bits/tomatoes, in a sandwich bag.

recipe says 12mins simmer, regular checking (squeezing bag to see uncooked egg squoosh out) suggests this is about right. I used 4 eggs though as Im a growing lad.

and it pretty much works fine! I shall definitely be taking this with me this week. 😀

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mysj6WRi0V8/VDJb2i9gPJI/AAAAAAAAKvg/3cwvFYpoC3k/s640/IMG_20141006_100500.jpg[/img]

Id only change it by not using tomatoes, maybe just bacon and a bit of cheese perhaps. The tomatoes end up as super-heated mouth-burning pockets of liquid in the omelette.

The omelette ends up a little bit fluffier than Id normally cook in a pan, but Oat Quizean this isnt.

martinhutch

That omelette is watching you with sad eyes.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

threads like this are exactly why I love STW

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Swap the tommies for mushrooms

chvck
    Free Member

haha, makes me think of gizmo from gremlins…

brassneck

Whats wrong with boiled eggs? They already come in their own handy biodegradable packaging.. although they aren’t quite right without toast, you could rough it with crispbread..

torsoinalake
    Free Member
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Good effort! although its not an omelette surely.It looks Mcdonalds/Happy Chef-esque

northernmatt

Would taste better done in a Waitrose sandwich bag

tomd
    Free Member

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Looks like all your herbs, pepper etc have settled out. not necessarily a bad thing with a bit of practice you could have stratified omlette.

stumpy01

I’m sure it’s fine, but just wondering whether a freezer bag is OK to cook in?
    I know some cling films aren’t suitable for cooking as they leach stuff out at elevated temperatures. Just wondering if this might do a similar thing.
    You could get those bags for doing beans on toast in the toaster – they might be safer?
    Or a silicon cooking bag?

Oh, and I’d replace the tomoatoes with mushrooms too….

smartboy
    Free Member

Risk of sandwich bag bursting in you camelback/pannier?

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s fine, but just wondering whether a freezer bag is OK to cook in?

well the packaging does say “”not suitable for cooking or reheating in a microwave or a conventional oven” but other than the plastic melting perhaps, it isnt any clearer as to why not.

yeah, ‘shrooms for tomatoes is an idea.

pepper and bacon settled to the bottom. not the end of the world.

frittatas look nice pocket food, but as ^ above I’d happily carry boiled eggs for food on the go. But for breakie I like scrambled or omelette.

Risk of sandwich bag bursting in you camelback/pannier?

like anything else, its down to packing. I can carry the mix in a steel flask and decant to a bag for cooking for example.

cp

isn’t that kind of how little chef do them? Vaguely remember seeing a bit of one of those resurrect little chef progs

big_scot_nanny

We do this with the scouts at camp, its awesome!

top tip – wrap it up in a big tortilla to finish – no plates or cutlerly needed.

Stoner
    Free Member

tortilla. like it. tricky packing one tortilla though…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Top washing up tip:
    Scrub the diry pan with a big handfull of grass. Cleans out a frying pan afer bacon and eggs, or a pot of porridge, not sure about omlet though. A quick wipe afterwards with flash wipe and it’s good to go.

MSP

I believe the problem with freezer bags not “certified” for cooking, is that nasty chemicals can leach into the food at cooking temperatures, now whether that means they haven’t made the appropriate tests to ensure they are safe for cooking or if they really aren’t safe for cooking is another thing. But as proper cook in bags are available now in most supermarkets why take the risk.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buy ready made vacuum packed tortilla?

Edit – I got very good bags for bivvy cooking from Wilkos, a bit tougher,

Stoner
    Free Member

Buy ready made vacuum packed tortilla?

just not the same as fresh cooked.

I will have a look out for “cooking” bags. Never seen them in Morrisons before though.

EDIT: cheers NBITF, we have a Wilkos (for some ungodly reason!) in Malvern. I shall risk a wander in.

scotroutes

I got a ton of Pour and Store bags from Aldi.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stoner, I had to order them online and pick them up in store.

Stoner
    Free Member

ta for the info.

AlexSimon

You could get those bags for doing beans on toast in the toaster

Mind. Blown.

MSP

I wonder how something like this would work out for knocking up some meals for camping and bikepacking.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Premium-Vacuum-Preserving-Marinating/dp/B00G463N7Q/ref=pd_sim_kh_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=10BEN4PNKTQWJ2TN5GYW

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mind. Blown.

+1

I managed to live for 2 years on a work assignment without an electric kettle, toaster or microwave, just using the conventional gas hob, grill and oven. Kinda realised I wasted more time waiting 5 min for the microwave to finish, instead of having 20min to do something else while it cooked properly in the oven, the frying/wok burner and cheap camping kettle was wayy more powerfull than the electric one (it’d boil a cup of water quicker than i could get the milk and sugar out!), and the toaster was just a device for generating burnt crumbs on the worktop!

RustySpanner

Stoner – Member

tortilla. like it. tricky packing one tortilla though…

🙄

All flat bread products can be pre prepared then wrapped around the top tube and secured with zip ties.
    🙂

It looks lovely btw, but two boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with salt and pepper takes a third of the time and is soooooo much less faff.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Amateur – poached eggs is where it’s at for camping food.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Boil in the bag omelette’ is closed to new replies.