Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Body armour/protection
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

I’m going on a trip with a mate where I’ll (apparently) be riding trails where some protection would be preferred. I’ve never used any in the past and as I’m not planning on using it on my return, was wondering if any of you have used the £30ish stuff available on ebay. eg.
    I’m not interested in labelling or whether it says for MTB on it . No one will know the brand when it’s under my shirt.
    Advice and recommendations please.

ajantom

That looks like it’ll be hot and pretty uncomfortable, I’d go with elbow and knee/shin protection. You can then stow them in your backpack if you get hot or don’t feel you need them.

Northwind

What do you have already? Knees, elbows? A body suit can be a pretty good addition but it needs to fit well, and they are <hot>, even the pedalling you do on a downhill gets you pretty warm so for me just not an option for normal riding…

Can’t comment on that suit in particular, if it’s really CE approved then that’s good but if any of it genuinely is, it’ll probably just be the backplate.

chakaping
    Free Member

Knee and elbow pads will suffice unless you’re taking up full-on DH.

Get on CRC, sort by price low>high and buy a few different ones to try on.

Will cost you a bit more than £30 but you shiuld end up with something much more comfy and useable.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What sort of stuff is your mate using? Where are you going? what trails?

I’m mostly just wearing knees these days, elbows occasionally (and probably by the state of the skin there should be more) can’t remember when the old pressure suit got worn and that is doing DH/Enduro type trails

Northwind

I hardly ever wear mine now… But I did find it a useful confidence boost when I first started riding dh. And I’ve been going around for 2 weeks with bruised ribs and about a square foot of scabs that might have been avoided if I’d been wearing it at my last uplift 😆

gears_suck
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Normally I don’t wear any armour and I’m a pretty confident rider. The trip is Munich but riding will be just across the border of Austria. I’m not sure where exactly but mountains will be involved. To be honest I have agreed to get this stuff to placate my friend who suggested it could be worth while. He’s using some of the gear I linked to in my first post due to the fact one of his friends lost a spleen after a trail belly flop.
    TBH I do have a peppered history of body damage although, I believe non would have been avoided by the use of armour. Not sure how to proceed now except of course the knee and elbow pads are a must. Unfamiliar trails and all that.

mark90
    Free Member

Sexy design and adjustable belt

That sells it for me!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Body armour/protection’ is closed to new replies.