Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Body Armour for the longer limbed?
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

I need to get some knee & shin protection after battering myself yet again at the weekend. Now the problem is that I'm 6'4" and most knee/shin protectors are too short and leave a gap between the bottom of the pad and it's the right size to get a pedal in.

I don't want anything too thick as I'll be riding uphill as well as down. So what does the taller members of STW use?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Ken

GW
    Free Member

just wear trousers

ken_shields
    Free Member

GW – Member
    just wear trousers

Very helpful advice……thanks for your input

kamina
    Free Member

Maybe Poc armour? Don't know about sizing, but all my friends who have them rave about them…

GW
    Free Member

I was being 100% serious.
    A decent pair of riding trousers will stop pedal strikes breaking the skin in most cases.

jedi

ken, pedal strikes happen top to middle of shin. rafeface are longgest iirc

MSP

You could try some impact high boots to close the gap down,
    I use race face rally guards and just accept the gap, all the impacts seem to be along the shin bone or on the knee. The gap hasn't caused me a problem, I'm 6'3".

LoCo
    Free Member

6.3" and Dainese race suit fits well although I have cut the legs off just above the knee and wear separate knee and shin pads.

Lummox

Ive got dainese knee shins – good length but I wouldn't want to pedal too much in them, prefer my 661 knee pads for general use. 6'5'' by the way

Shandy
    Free Member

I found the Dainese a bit short, I've got Race Face Rally which has good protection and doesn't rub, it can be a bit warm though.

LoCo
    Free Member

Doh! sorry, miss read original topic, I use fox knee and shins.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

I have the RaceFace Rally in large which I think might actually be a little too big for me, there is no gap at all. 6'1" with 34" inside leg

oink
    Free Member

I use 661 kyle straits for knees and then some lizard skin shins (old school, available on crc) – the two interface superbly

warps around for the occasionaly rear strike, nettle interface and the shins can be removed for a long climb

ken_shields
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    ken, pedal strikes happen top to middle of shin. rafeface are longgest iirc

I'll have to remember to tell my pedals to only hit me on my short dianese pads not on the exposed bit between the pad and my shoe

These are 46cm from centre of knee to the bottom of the pad which is not far off what I need and reasonably lightweight

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I've had the same problem being a big gangly. I wore my knee/shin protectors twice and hated them so much. I'm just going to get some knee pads and try not to do my shins in.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

661 Race are quite long, you can always pull a pair of motocross socks over them…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Body Armour for the longer limbed?’ is closed to new replies.