Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bodging tip neaded – headset race seater
  • Gnnr

What do you use to knock the race onto your forks? Someone mentioned piping from a plumb supply place, not sure what size though and don't want yards of the stuff.

Any tips! Cheers G

angryratio
    Free Member

put a little cut in it then it will act as a split race saving you lots of swearing and dented knuckles

Gnnr

really, what just use a junior hacksaw or something? Would that not be too rough a cut?

IA

There's a metal table leg B&Q sell for about £2 that's the perfect fit over a steerer to bash a crown race on. Dunno the exact model, but take a bit of cut off steerer to B&Q and try them. You need to take the rubber foot out the bottom of it (just pulls out).

It won't fit some forks with an extended butted section at the bottom of the steerer though (e.g. my 1 1/8th totems) but fits everything else perfectly, almost like it's made for it.

IA

Looks like this: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9281981&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=leg&fh_eds=ß&fh_refview=search&ts=1267274143458&isSearch=true

might even be that exact one, but not sure. As I say take an off cut of steerer along to the table legs & misc hardware aisle.

sockpuppet

last time i fitted one that wasn't split i believe i used a £1 coin.

the chap in my LBS knew exactly how to use it in order to get the race correctly fitted.

sockpuppet

i have wondered about cutting a split myself though. thoughts chaps??

pypdjl
    Free Member

A bit of 1 1/4" plastic pipe works fine.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I use a rear crud catcher, the seapost bit over the steerer tube + hammer 8)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

a bit of pipe left over from the mamouth En Suite DIY job works for me. standard PVC waste pipe for stuff like that, apparently. Prob 1 1/4"

Northwind

If it's going onto a cartridge bearing then cutting the "race" (it's not really a race in this case, just a spacer) should be fine, as long as you do it cleanly and tidy up the edges, no burrs etc. But don't try that if it really is a race and there'll be bearings rolling on it!

Alternatively, if you have an old race, drop that on top of the new one and tap it with a hammer and drift.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bodging tip neaded – headset race seater’ is closed to new replies.