Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bodgers – 29er RockShox Lower removal
  • honourablegeorge

Doing an oil change on a set of 29er SIDs for a mate, don’t have a long 10mm socket to hand – anyone managed to remove the nut on the non drive side using anything else? The one that’s recessed an inch or two up inside the lowers?

LoCo
    Free Member

Deep 10 mm socket on end of extension bar is only proper way really if you don’t want to damage anything ( on the plus side you get to buy new tools 😉 )

honourablegeorge

Yeah, figured as much. Was trying to reach it with a wee spanner, but acutely aware of the alloy-ness of the bolt and didn’t want to round anything. A carefully bent ring spanner might work, but I don’t have one of those to hand either (or the strength to bend it)

Socket purchase it is, I guess.

It’s kind of a neat design, thinking about it. Means the major parts are all the same, just the change in lowers.

mick_r

My deep sockets weren’t deep enough!

It was late at night – so after much cursing I ended up taking a cheap old 10mm socket, drilling out the 1/4″ square drive, filing off the chrome plating, finding a bit of tube sort of the right diameter, squashing tube until it sort of gripped the outside of the socket, attacking that mess with a blowlamp and silver solder to make a ghetto long socket. Drilled a cross hole at the other end of the tube to shove in an allen key as a tommy bar.

Then proceeded to get the damper oil all down my trouser leg rather than in the bucket!

Grrrrrrr!

jasonm945
    Free Member

10mm box spanners are cheap as chips 😛

grievoustim
    Free Member

Yep as above – I got a box spanner from the local hardware shop for a couple of quid

Perfect

LoCo
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, use 6 sided socket to reduce the chance of damaging the nut when you tap it to release the studs from the lower legs. 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bodgers – 29er RockShox Lower removal’ is closed to new replies.