Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Boardman pro FS / specialized fsr xc – "enough" bike?
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

Hi there, newbie here with a typical n00b pain in the arse style of question 😀 Back in the 90s i was into mountain biking in a big way, before turning to the darkside but now getting back into mountain biking again over the last few months as an alternative to putting in so many miles in on the road which had been getting a bit tedious. Things have moved on quite a bit though so i dont know where to start, so many choices to make on what type of bike is best suited for my needs.

I have a hardtail at the moment (with 80mm travel so pretty xc orientated) and im looking to get a full suspension bike.

My riding consists of a mix of forest trails, singletrack, bridal paths, moorland and at trail centres with red runs at Glentress etc. Most of my riding will remain the same but quite like to try out the black runs too, do the xc course at Innerleithan check out the more 'wild' riding in Arran, Torridon and places like that.

Will a Boardman pro / spesh fsr xc be enough bike for that sort of stuff or am i better off going for something a bit more burly and with more travel – say for example a spesh pitch pro, marin wolf ridge etc. Thanks for any advice 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

there's virtually nothing in the UK that you couldn't ride a bike like that down, or even your hardtail!

a bit more travel may help to inspire confidence in your skills though and help you progress your riding to levels that you aren't particularly comfortable with now.

If you intend to get your wheels off the ground on black runs then maybe go for something a little more forgiving though, it's easy to take 'air' skills to a less suitable bike if you already have the skills but yo are likely to abuse the bike and yourself whilst climbing the skills ladder

soobalias
    Free Member

plenty.

would only be out of your depth on proper DH – even then it would be rideable as part of a "big day out" kinda ride.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

My air skills at the moment amount to being able to bunnyhop up a kerb so any improvement would be useful! 😀

Sort of daunting all the variety of bikes on offer. I get enough grief as it is with having 3 road bikes and the hardtail mtb in the garage, not sure how it is going to go down when i expand the n+1 equation!

stumpy01

Up until a few weeks ago my only bike had ~90mm rear travel & was pretty XC oriented geometry-wise.
    I've done plenty of trail centres on it, taken it to the Sierra Nevada mountains in Spain 2 yrs in a row, taken it up & down Cadair Idris etc.

So, I would say either of the above would be fine. Just make sure you get the geometry correct. Make sure you test ride your shortlist, if you can. I think that the geometry of the bike is more important than whether it has 120mm or 140mm of travel.

Legoman
    Free Member

Hi Omar,
    if you're considering the FSR/Boardman I'd also recommend taking a look the Giant Trance X5.
    MBR magazine did a group test of £1k full sussers last year sometime and the Giant was rated above both the FSR and Boardman (seem to remember frame geometry being a strong factor).

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I think that the geometry of the bike is more important than whether it has 120mm or 140mm of travel.

+1

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Just as a guide – for a while I was riding a 6'' Foes FXR full susser, (one that's built like a brick wotsit)around the Peaks, trail centres and DH runs.

Since not having any forks for it (and not having ready cash to buy new ones) I've been riding my Steel-framed, 80mm-forked hardtail for the last sixth months.

I've ridden exactly the same terrain and at about 95% of the speed downhill as on the Foes.. even overtake my friends on their 6'' bouncers too.

The point is, yes the hardtail hurts at that speed downhill and tries to throw me off a lot more than the foes, however – it copes with everything well! Most bikes do tbh…. really to do with how you ride and not what you ride!

/end cliches!

mk1fan
    Free Member

jimbobrighton – Member

I think that the geometry of the bike is more important than whether it has 120mm or 140mm of travel.

+1

+2 but I'd add the word 'suitable' before geometry. Both the bikes you listed have XC orientated geo. Which will be great and you'll certainly be able to ride the odd uplift day. They'll just feel a bit 'off' on that type of terrain. A Trail bike – like the Pitch – will feel more comfortable on the uplift stuff but more sluggish on your normal riding.

If you already have an XC bike and you'll be keeping it then why not get a more Trail orientated bike?

I_Ache
    Free Member

You might be better of with a Stumpjumper FSR or a Fuel ex? as these will be tougher than the FSR XC but not as heavy as a Pitch.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

thanks for the advice everyone 🙂

i had a stumpjumper about 15 years ago and i loved that so may check that out if i can find any decent deals for the 2009 model. the 2010 are just a wee bit out my price range unfortunately

ahwiles
    Free Member

if i was i was just starting out again, i hope that someone would gently steer me towards a bike like the boardman, or the fsr xc…

if my bike-cellar gets cleaned out by mischievous yoofs, i'll be getting a boardman.

dandan
    Free Member

Omar what size bike are you after? I have a mint 09 stumpjumper fsr for sale size large.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

im probably a medium, my road bikes tend to be 54cm (im about 5ft9).

iggs
    Free Member

For most british riding, and most other riding I've come across outside of the the UK the one mountain bike to do it all benchmark for me would be the Stumpjumper FSR, this is what I would judge all other bikes against.

It will do everything comfortably, it strikes the balance between robustness / weight / comfort needed in an all round UK mountain bike, but could be considered quite pricey.

Specs are nothing though if the bike doesn't fit you / suit you. I've always got on with Specialized bikes, I like the longish top tube and as a result I've had a few of them.

See if you can get on a few modern maountain bikes and find out what you like. There are demo bikes avaialable at various trail centres. Try and see what fits you, as a roadie you'll know the importance of this

Ian

steve_b77
    Free Member

Boardman or the new FSR XC are a cracking choice.

If you're riding 54cm road bikes I'd personally say a medium, I ride 54cm road due to short torso, and ride medium MTB's despite being 5'11"

vrapan
    Free Member

An Anthem with some 120mm forks 🙂 Very different riding than with the standard 100mm

niloC
    Free Member

I ride a 54cm road bike and just got a Medium Boardman team FS, it fits fine, I have flipped the stem but that's all, i've only ridden it once but was impressed, great value for a grand.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Boardman pro FS / specialized fsr xc – "enough" bike?’ is closed to new replies.