Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Boardman Pro 29er
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Going to have a closer look at one in Halfords. With BC discount it’s rude not to.
    Does anyone know if the mtbs suffered the same paint cracking issues as the CX bike??
    Also does anyone own or ride with someone who has one to give some longer term feedback.

Cheers

Yours indecisively

ceepers

There’s a review in this months mbuk. They say it’s got quite an unforgiving race xc feel but isn’t race lightweight.

pjbarton
    Free Member

it’s about 26lbs – for £900 that’s pretty light

monkeychild
    Free Member

What the hell is quite an unforgiving race feel? lol(not a dig at you). I don’t really rate MBUK with their reviews. But cheers for the heads up. I prefer real owner feedback

soma_rich
    Free Member

What the hell is quite an unforgiving race feel?

[cynic]
    That would be the feel of a brand of bike that doesn’t advertise in MBUK.
    [/cynic]

monkeychild
    Free Member

[cynic]
    [/cynic]

I agree with you there.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Well MBR say
    9/10 Bike of the Year
    Boardman Bikes Pro 29er
    “Not only is it the lightest on test, but the Pro 29er also possesses both lateral stiffness and vertical compliance. Basically it outaccelerates the rest, while simultaneously ironing out trail buzz like nothing else. That’s an impressive trick to master.”

“Constantly straining at the leash. Amazing value”
    Source: mbr.

WTF is

lateral stiffness and vertical compliance

muggomagic

I have the team version and I’m really impressed with it. Certainly not unforgiving in my opinion.

ceepers

Actually I think it was the team not the pro they reviewed which is closer to 29lbs

They still gave it 4 stars. Looks like a nice bike for the money to me, it’s rare to hear a bad opinion of a boardman so I’m sure it’s pretty good.

Mbuk is not quite the bible it was years ago is it?!

jaymoid

My guess is a committed forward & low body position. The sort of position that you might get tired of if you’re riding long xc rides maybe. I only mention it because my first/current bike fits the above and after riding a few friends bikes I’d opt for something more relaxed for my next one. I know a lot can be done to change it with seatposts/stem/handlebars but this can add up and geometry out the box is (I realise now) an important factor when choosing a bike.

Plus there’s the harsh-ness of alu! Never noticed it myself though :\

jaymoid

I should add that my mate has just bought one and loves it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

As a roadie as well a racy feel isn’t an issue. My current bike setup is stretched out and head down.

Northwind

monkeychild – Member

Probably means stiff and steep, it’s fairly xc rather than “trail” geometry.

soma_rich – Member

[cynic]
    [/cynic]

Boardman do advertise in MBUK.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nice bit of kit for the money and readily available, the tyres aren’t the TLR versions of Nobby Nics though so they’re a bit plasticy.

The Crankset is a PITA to get replacement rings for, other than that mushn’t grumble as it comes with a top fork – way better than anything for similar money and the wheels are in the OK bracket of things.

LimboJimbo

WTF is

lateral stiffness and vertical compliance

It moves up and down more than it moves side to side?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Spec wise,the fsa cranks would be off straight away, as I had them on my el mariachi and hated them. I’ll use an adapter and put my slx on. Wheel wise I have arch ex on pro 2 evos to use. Can’t stand nobby nics anyway.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Went to Halfords today to look at it.

I have to say it’s a nice bike visually and. They are getting a 16″ in for me to try and the guy I spoke to certainly knew his stuff (just shows not all Halfords are the same).

If it feels right (looks right on paper), I may purchase it.

mrben101
    Free Member

If you.can wait for their next ‘10% off all our bikes’ weekend you can stack that with the British Cycling Discount for 19% off. 🙂

takisawa2

Two chaps at work have them.
    One of them gets a right hammering but never had any issues.
    One of them replaced a 26″ FS Boardman that was stolen, & he prefers the ride of the 29″ HT.

monkeychild
    Free Member

If you.can wait for their next ‘10% off all our bikes’ weekend you can stack that with the British Cycling Discount for 19% off.

You can’t stack the codes anymore 🙁

Takisawa, that’s reassuring to hear 🙂

I think my days of having a slight bit of snobbery towards them, are gone.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Had a look at it and threw my leg over. By eck it’s comfy.

Had a small scratch on the headtube so I was offered it for £800
    Put that with my voucher discount brand new bike for £720!!!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Well I picked it up today. Swapped my wheels over and set it up. I am most impressed with a ride about the estate test ride. It accelerates really well, the handling is snappy and there’s no toe overlap at all. It feels really light when you are riding it too. Just need to read up on setting up the Reba.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Pro 29er’ is closed to new replies.