Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Boardman Hybrid Comp – what rear hub freewheel/bearings?
  • BlobOnAStick

Hi,

A colleague of mine has broken the freehub (it now spins in both directions) on his 2-year old Boardman Hybrid Comp. He’s been told by his local Halfrauds that “it’s knackered mate” 🙄 and that it needs new bearings as well as the freehub replacing. The ‘Assistant’ tells him it would be cheaper to buy a new wheel @ approx £70 than to conduct the work.

I cannot believe this can be the case, especially as I believe the hub has sealed bearings.

Does anyone have experience of maintaining the hub on a 2008 Boardman Hybrid? If so, can you give me some advice on what’s inside?

Many thanks,

Ben

BlobOnAStick

Nobody? 🙁

gearfreak
    Free Member

Take it to your good local bike shop, who will probably tell you the same story.

2 years is probably good going if it’s been used lots.

Doubt it’s sealed bearings. Will be either a formula hub (cheap and nasty, but found on most sub £1000 bikes, in which case deffo cheaper to replace the whole wheel.

It might be a shimano hub, in which case it might be worth rebuilding the hub with a new freewheel, you’d be looking at £50+ for parts and labour.

BlobOnAStick

Oh. I suppose since I do all my own stuff I figure things should be cheaper than they are…….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Hybrid Comp – what rear hub freewheel/bearings?’ is closed to new replies.