Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Boardman headset woes. Can anyone help me find a replacement? Please…
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

So last week I picked up a Boardman hybrid (the comp) in the sale for £399. It seems ideal for a get around town bike at that price & most importantly it fits me really well (which I historically have more issues with than you woukd think!).

Anyway, the bike feels great other than the headset which we just can’t seem to get tight. I’m just not happy riding with so much play in the headset & can’t be doing with the hassle of taking it back to Halfords (nice as the guys were, I trust my husband much more when it comes to working on my bikes). So I’m happy to pay out for a replacement headset but so far the cheapest I can find is £50, which seems a bit much for a bike that cost less than £400!

My Google skills are letting me down so I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get a reasonably priced 1&1/8th to 1.5 semi integrated headset with a reducer (since the fork is standard steerer & the reducer in the headset included can’t be reused).

If anyone can find a headset that would fit I’d be massively grateful.

Ideally I don’t want to spend more than £25 but it really does need replacing…

Thanks in advance!

jamiep
    Free Member

Not what you want to hear – take it back to Halfords

muggomagic

I’m sure if you took it back and asked them to get the parts for you as a warranty replacement so that you or your husband can fit them they’d be ok with that.

wwaswas

get Halfords to sort it out – if it’s a fault somewhere else you don’t want to get the blame if you fit an aftermarket headset and still have to take it back. Tell them you want it sorted or a replacement bike as there should be no play in a headset – you’ll get dreadful fork judder if nothign else.

riddoch

It’s new take it back.
    Or http://www.amazon.co.uk/FSA-No-10-headset/dp/B00J82HCPC
    Claims to be the same but being a headset probably isn’t.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments. I know you’re right & I can take it back, but I honestly don’t want the hassle. And I would really like a better headset not another the same as I’d like cartridge bearings, or I think we’ll have the same problem again. And yep, the judder under braking is awful 🙁

Does anyone know of a better headset that would fit?

Del

if you tighten it down can you get it to feel lumpy/stiff?

scruffywelder
    Free Member

First thing I would check is that the top cap isn’t coming into contact with the steerer when tightened. Chuck another spacer on (I usually put them on top of the stem for this – saves faff), adjust up & see if it cures the play.

Maybe Uberbike does a budget HS that’d suit?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys but I think I’ve finally found what I’m looking for. Cheers!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Boardman headset woes. Can anyone help me find a replacement? Please…’ is closed to new replies.