Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Boardman CX Team Vs Genesis Croix De Fer
  • r1chtea
    Free Member

Hello Folks! I’m after a bit of advice on my next bike. I’m coming from the world of mountain biking and don’t really have any relevant experience of other types of riding. I started out with the idea of a road bike, so I could get out at the weekend and cover a decent amount of miles and see some different sights than on the mountain bike. Then after chatting to a few friends about their experiences I decided putting a rack on the back and doing some touring every once in a while would also be fun.. Also, i live in Edinburgh where the roads are bumpy and there’s plenty of off road tracks that i assume are more suited to a cx bike. All this and numerous hours of browsing the net has lead me to the two bikes above.

So! I’ve managed a little go on the Boardman, It was comfy, light and the guy at Halfords was incredibly honest, helpful and knowledgable about the bike and my concerns re bottom brackets and follow up service. I’m not sure of its ability to takes a rack and panniers every once in a while?

I’ve not yet had a go on a Croix De Fer but I love the look, and like the idea of the softer feel of the Steel Frame. Also, weighing around 16st i think i’d feel more trusting that the Croix De Fer could handle me!

Last point, with vouchers the Boardman is considerably cheaper at the moment, hence my writing this!

Has any body got either bike or some advice on which to aim for?

thorpie
    Free Member

Croix de fer for the riding you are talking about but I am biased as I have a custom built one! The steel frame will be heavier but alot more comfortable in my experience and I did own a Boardman hybrid a couple of bikes back so can qualify this. Saying that the Boardman is excellent value for money but I found the bb30 bottom bracket got very creaky very quickly.

Trevor.

r1chtea
    Free Member

Cheers Trevor. Yeah, the Croix is soo pretty! I don’t think i’m going to get to feel the real difference between the two frames ’till i’ve bought the bike, but I somehow feel like i’ll feel more confident on the steel. Apparently the BB issues are now gone on the CX, but i still feel nervous of shopping at Halfords. That said, it is over £300 cheaper with some of the offers that are around at the moment!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i’m a CDF owner and looked at the Boardmans, glad i chose as its a lovely bike, not as light as the boardman but then its for commuting, training and touring not racing!

bedraggled
    Free Member

The thinking mans choice would be a nearly new Croix de Fer as it gets the price down.
    After a couple of weeks of use that brand new Croix de Fer will be exactly the same.

oh look, what a co-incidence, here’s one 😀

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-genesis-croix-de-fer

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve been riding my Whyte Charing Cross for about 6 weeks and its been great. Comes with discs, rack and mudguard mounts, tapered steerer, carbon forks and good gearing for a cycle scheme friendly grand. Oh and its 22lbs light and is so much better than the Roadrat it replaced – even the bumpy stuff that steel should be good at the alloy and carbon Whyte is far better.

edinburgh cycle co-op
    Edinburgh Cycle Co-Op had these for £850 in November so I bet they’d do a deal for cash now they are up for a grand.

Bregante

Croix de Fer. Comfiest bike I’ve ever owned.

r1chtea
    Free Member

Thanks for thoughts. Cheers for info on the Charing Cross too, though i’m not sure i can handle a third option! I really like the look of the Boardman, but don’t know if it offers all the options a Croix would, e.g loading it up for a go at touring. incidentally, i’m 6ft and have been recommended the 60cm frame for the Croix. I clearly need a test ride, but in the mean time, does this seem right? There’s something drawing me to the Genesis!

Bregante

Well I’m 6’1 and mines a 58cm and I defo wouldn’t want bigger.

wallop

Might be worth looking at a 58cm as well.

Two steel-framed Genesis bikes in this household – both very much loved.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Hmmmmm I am torn I fancy a Cotic X ( to go with my Simple and Soul)and swap all the bits off my Kaff

But the Halfrauds deal on the Boardman is just too tempting

benslow
    Free Member

The new Genesis CDF is out in Feb, I think.

CdF

Beautiful Blue and cheaper than the Croix.

DT78
    Free Member

Just out of interest what are the halfords offers on the boardman? Website shows £850, 10% Christmas offer has ended

benslow
    Free Member

Not sure if you can combine offers but British Cycling membership gives 10% off Halfords incl Boardman bikes for £23 pa.

They might allow combining considering they had the 10% Christmas deal …

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for that – didn’t know, off to research

Bazz

Re the sizing, i’m 6 foot and ride a 56cm Genesis Vapour, could have gone either for that or the 58cm but chose the smaller for better handling in traffic. You will almost certainley not need a 60cm.

BadlyWiredDog

The new Genesis CDF is out in Feb, I think.

It appears to be specced with Sora shifters. Avoid or upgrade. Irritating things that mean you can’t reach the shift release button from the drops.

Soma Double Cross DC here btw. Disc compatible, skinny steel tubes, rides very nicely I think.

r1chtea
    Free Member

Ok, so yeah, pretty clear 60 is going to be too big! I saw the CDF but wasn’t sure of the differences i’d notice in riding. the shifters do look a little odd, but i’ver never tried them.

The Boardman is £850 in Halfords at the moment, you can get an extra 10% with an NUS discount (if it applies to you!?) and then the 10% thing with the vouchers.. That works out pretty cheap if it works!

neil853
    Free Member

I have a Boardman CX pro for a couple of years now. Easily one of the best bikes i’ve ever owned. I cycled to work and back with it for 18-24 months clocking up nearly 4500 miles, then after a bit of tlc i’ve been using it for disused railway lines and walkways. It realy is incredibly versitile. haven’t had many issues. The rear wheel is a bit sh$t and comes loose sometimes, but its pretty shot now so the wheels are going to be replaced with some on one or superstar versions.

For the record i originally wanted the CDF but the delivery date was too far away, but I’ve been more than pleased with the Boardman.

Crell
    Free Member

and then the 10% thing with the vouchers.

Rich what’s this extra 10 % voucher? I know about the NUS deal so this makes it too tempting.

r1chtea
    Free Member

I think it’s the touring element that is on my mind. Realistically i’m probably only going to do this once a year, but a quick look around the net shows the Croix can handle it, whereas i’m not so sure about the Boardman. But then, for a week a year!?! maybe the nippyness (?) of the Boardman wins… And i could use the difference in cash to get some upgrades when needed?

Other 10% is by joining British Cycling for £24 and getting 10% off Halfords Vouchers:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/halfords-discounts

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Boardman CX Team Vs Genesis Croix De Fer’ is closed to new replies.