Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Boardman cx 1x 44 will i die
  • wicki
    Free Member

Hi I have an offer of a cheap Boardman cx team with sram 1×44 up front with 11×36 rear will i die on the hills?

and if yes how easy is it to change to a 2x i already have a set of 2x shifters can i just fit a second ring to the sram system or would it entail new crankset ?

parkesie
    Free Member

Yes, just put a big cassette on it mines deffinately alot bigger than a 36 and that can be abit of a winch up the steeper climbs.

fifeandy
    Free Member

You won’t die, but it’ll be unpleasant off road, and you’ll struggle to keep HR down on the road.
    The boardman cx team is blessed by stock wheels that weigh as much as some peoples bikes. Think mine came as standard with a 34T inner ring and 32 cassette and wouldn’t want to go with a higher bottom gear personally.

TiRed

Swap the chainring. I’m running 1×10 with a 130 BCD SRAM Red carbon crank and 38T from Absolute Black. If you need 130 BCD, be careful when placing the order, as they messed mine and sent me the default 110. It works just fine when installed.

I run 38 x 12-32 for cross and 11-23 for road. It’s a little under-geared going down the hills, but climbs fine unladen.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m running 1*11 on a cx team with 44 tooth ring and 11-42 cassette. 36 would be okay but quite tough on steeper climbs.

The boardman cx team is blessed by stock wheels that weigh as much as some peoples bikes.

Agreed. I swapped the tyres and tubes last week and saved 400g alone, wheels will be next.

D0NK

you’re asking a question about gearing, so as always the answer is “it depends” fitness, terrain, cadence, riding style etc. I’ve got 42 ring with 11-36 on my cx bike and I’m fine with that, only thing I’ve had trouble with was an actual cx race, could have done with 40/38 upfront for a solid 50mins of redlining, but for normal riding even big/steep hills it’s fine for me.

And as for crankset, depends but chances are it will be 1x specific so yeah you will probably need either a 2x spider or new crankset.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It depends. 😉

Climbing the last 0.6 miles 9% average of Harvesting Lane on Butser Hill, I’m in my lowest gear (34/32). Total weight of me and disc road bike ~88Kg.

For 11-36 cassette, i guess you want 40 chainring max for road climbs, less for offroad.

nedrapier

I’ve got 38T on the cx type bike, 42T on the mostly road bike. Both with 11-36. Short sharp hills near me, a slightly lower gear on both would be nice.

wicki
    Free Member

Ok all thanks for that I don’t think 1 x will work for me reading these comments

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The current CX Pro comes with 1×11, 44T chainring and 10-40 cassette, IIRC.

While I didn’t enjoy the turbo trainer test ride on the CX Pro, in terms of the Rival double-tap gearing, I was gobsmacked when I later checked out how much the drivetrain consumables would cost to replace as they wore!

mattbee

To prove the theory that it really depends on the individual, compared to ‘goat I can (although not too elegantly) get up Harvesting Lane on my road bike with 36t front 28t rear. Total weight of me & bike is 93kg. I’ll probably get a 30t when I change cassette to help my knees out mind you.

Garry_Lager

What would you be doing with the bike? That gearing would be OK on the road for me, but too heavy off-road. But if you were planning on mainly road, then just get a road bike.
    I’ve had the CX out quite a bit on the road this year at 38 x 11/34 and it’s been fine, done some great rides, but it’s pretty obvious that 1x is not a go-er for serious roady-ing.

wicki
    Free Member

Bike is for road use and a bit of gravel farm track canal towpath stuff I have a roady with a 50 up front and very rarely use the 50 11 i am 57 years young not cranking like hero

The other thing is The BB30 can I use a head set press to fit a new one if i need to ? and does a BB30 take standard cranks ?

onandon
    Free Member

I have an offer of a cheap Boardman cx team with sram 1×44 up front with 11×36 rear will i die on the hills?

Buy a chainring and swap to a 38/40 or whatever. Superstar will do one for around £20.
    I used 40-11/32 for months, on and off road so I think you be fine.
    Obviously I don’t know how fit you are or where you ride 🙂

Bez

You realise 44/36 is a lower gear than a 30t on a standard road chainset and a 27t on a compact? So you’ll have a lower gear than most road bikes. It’ll be fine for road and flat gravel. Though for off-road climbs I’d buy a 36/38 ring, personally. YMMV.

136stu
    Free Member

Just change to a 34t narrow/wide upfront, there wont be many places you cant go. I’m getting a bit “senior” too and I’m usually grateful to freewheel downhill so a big ring (titter!) isnt a consideration for me.

lazybike
    Free Member

The other thing is The BB30 can I use a head set press to fit a new one if i need to ? and does a BB30 take standard cranks ?

You can use a headset press you may have to use some spacers depending on the length of the threaded part. BB30 takes cranks with a 30mm spindle, there are adapters to fit 24mm cranks to a BB30 frame.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Just change to a 34t narrow/wide upfront

😯

so like riding a road bike with just the small ring of a compact. I’m a hamster-like spinner and I use a 38T on the front of my 1x CX bike.

Bez

so like riding a road bike with just the small ring of a compact…

…and a massive cassette.

34/36 gives a broadly similar ratio to the one that got me through the Alps with panniers, and I’m not a strong climber.

136stu
    Free Member

so like riding a road bike with just the small ring of a compact. I’m a hamster-like spinner and I use a 38T on the front of my 1x CX bike.

Yep. I have no desire for heroics and I’m not in a hurry, only to make the uphills as easy as possible.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Boardman cx 1x 44 will i die’ is closed to new replies.