Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Boardman Bikes – hardtail 29er.
  • grumpster
    Free Member

I am driving myself crackers trying to decide what bike to buy – I need something a bit more comfortable due to back/knee problems.

I would like a short travel full susser if I am honest but I have to be sensible about budget (boo!) due to spending shed loads on house improvements.

So I have been looking at hardtail 29ers. The sort of riding I do I think this will be a good compromise. A bit of extra comfort with 29er and modern bouncy forks (all current bikes are rigid).

I see that halfords are offering their 2016 pro hardtail for £900, down from £1000.

Can anyone think of anything better for the money? 11spd is good. Lightweight is good. Rebas supposed to be very good for the money according to google.

I do have CycleScheme (not supported by Halfords) available to me but even then I don’t see anything better.

Apologies for the ramblings but all comments welcome!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have the 2014 Pro 29er and I love it. Switched the wheels to Stans Arch EX and the cranks to SLX and it’s perfect now (for me). I doubt I’ll be getting shut of it until it breaks.

afkt
    Free Member

what about something like this? I’ve heard good things about the frame, so you could upgrade bits as you go (I know that it is neither a hardtail or a 29er) http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p5823/GIANT-ANTHEM-27-5-3-2015

Caher

I have 2 2014 Boardman’s (HT Pro as above & and full suss) and love them. Have owned top spec’d Specialized in the past and the Boardman’s are much better.

Rosss
    Free Member

If you could go 2nd hand I’ve got a Trek Rumblefish that I could do for a chunk less than that boardman!

parkesie
    Free Member

Im looking at the cx one in the same 10% off sale sack the cycle scheme off take the 10% and 12 months interest that they are offering aswell.

devash
    Free Member

That Boardman 29er on sale in Halfords is a bargain. Better spec than a similarly priced Cube hardtail and a much nicer (and lighter) frame to boot.

andyg1966

My local Halfords has the older pro hardtail for £749

PMK2060

Is the 2016 version an improvement on 2014. I am considering ordering the 2014 version.

monkeychild
    Free Member

When I bought mine I used this Cheap Vouchers I got mine back in 2014 for around £700 😀

tthew

Don’t forget the British Cycling discount for a further 10%!

limburger
    Free Member

I love my 2014 29er pro. The frame is astonishingly good. I have replaced almost every other bit by now (except for the Reba fork and the chainset) and it only gets better.

nano
    Free Member

[/quote]Is the 2016 version an improvement on 2014. I am considering ordering the 2014 version.

@PMK2060

There are two 29ers for 2016. In 2014 there were two 27.5’s (now only one)

For £849 (that’s the RRP) you get a 1 x set up and Avid DB’s with a 120mm Recon fork

The pro (£1000) has the same reba as the 2014 model but ditches the old XT mech and FSA double chainset for a 1 x SRAM and Guide brakes.

Although the frames look the same as the 2014 they are new but follow the Boardman formula of triple butted main frame with (putty) smooth welds.

Both bikes are on mavic rims

Arguably the cheaper bike offers better value for money. Shame they don’t offer a 120mm fork on the pro too.

HTH

7600e
    Free Member

I have this bike (the £1000 model) I bought a few weeks ago. Its great value for money but there have been a few problems.

The first one being the seatpost was all scratched up with no grease on it. Disappointing because I had the same guy build it who built my last bike. They said it was normal but coulnt show me any examples after looking at four bikes.

The second issue I had was quite a big one. The rear axle came out on one side and so the wheel came loose and got all jammed up. Before I left I thought I heard something rattling. I think it was caused by the bolt which attaches to the other side being loose. This was after I took the wheel off myself.

Despite these problems I would still recommend the bike. Someone above posted a link to get 10% off from British cycling and an extra 10% off if you buy gift cards from their business outlet.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’m not overkeen on their new logo, it looks like an Apollo.

skids
    Free Member

I would get them to replace that seatpost, there were obviously rough edges on the seatube which they could have removed with sandpaper or something

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 Skids. Obvious burrs inside the seat tube and theyve put the post in the frame and twisted it to force it in and all the way down scratching the entire post 😯 . Novice error (and grease wouldn’t have stopped it). I have an old knackered post I put into new frames to see if there’s any burrs (there often is) rather than fit a nice/new post and trash it. A few seconds with some rolled up sand paper is usually enough to smooth it out.

maxlite
    Free Member

I’d be straight back with that seat post!

bigG
    Free Member

Yep, +1 on getting that seatpost replaced. (and tidy up your kitchen, nice oven gloves though).

7600e
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I went up to the store I bought it in – Arbroath – but they said no. I go online and contact them. I’ll sand the tube down after thanks :).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

you on twitter? Because Chris Boardman is, and he’s VERY big on re-tweeting pictures happy bike owners send him so that his 130,000 followers can go “ooh that’s nice”. He doesn’t own the brand any more (he sold it to halfords) but they still employ him at a senior level.

So I’d be tweeting that picture to @Chris_Boardman and @HalfordsCycling and @Halfords_uk with the observation your local branch thinks that’s an acceptable condition to release a Boardman bike to a customer.

Given it’s a Sunday, I’d be expecting a reply from Halfords HQ at about, ooh, 9.01am Monday morning…

grumpster
    Free Member

Well – I am living up to my username.

Made a few phone calls today – can I find a Halfords that has a medium frame Boardman size in stock to try it out? Nope. They all have large. Genius.

I did sit on a medium Carrera (the salesman insisted it was identical to the boardman in geo -27.5 Vs 29er!) and it felt a bit cramped saddle to bars but I had no clearance to the top tube at all.

5″9 and 31″ inside leg.If only I could try a medium boardman to see! Grrrhhh…

May have to resort to a normal bike shop and stomach some additional expense.

The Giant did look good at Pauls but I have an aversion to Giant. I’m sure they are good bikes but I don’t fancy one.

Merak

Another 2014 Pro 29r HT owner here. Best kept secret imo, frame is lovely to look at and to ride, fantastic value. 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The Giant did look good at Pauls but I have an aversion to Giant. I’m sure they are good bikes but I don’t fancy one

you don’t like Giant but you’ll happily buy an own-brand bike from a motoring parts chainstore? 🙄 😆

136stu
    Free Member

Grumpster, if you’re anywhere near Rochdale you’re welcome to come try mine (2015 HT pro 29er – shiny silver one in medium, should be pretty similar

grumpster
    Free Member

Hi,

Thanks for the kind offer – unfortunately I’m in Bournemouth. Rochdale is a bit of a drive.

And yep – my Giant prejudice stretches back to probably 20 years ago so it makes no sense at all. I have friends that ride them and they are good bikes I just don’t want one.

Apparently the Boardman offer end at the end of the week if you believe the Guy one shop or yesterday if you believe a different guy.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The current offer on Boardmans finishes at 8pm on Thursday. You don’t have to collect the bike by then, just place the order before then.

7600e – That seatpost would not have left my branch (not far from Arbroath…) in that condition. Email me (in profile) and I’ll see if I can get that sorted for you.

Grumpster – You can order the bike in medium on-line to be collected at your local shop. If it then doesn’t fit when you collect it you can just walk away. Disappointing your local shop didn’t offer to do that for you. Alternatively I can have a look tomorrow and see which shops have the medium in stock. – Email me if that’s of use to you.

grumpster
    Free Member

Well I missed the boat on this offer – have been too busy to breath this week let alone go bike shopping.

Going to have to be patient and use a CycleScheme offer probably next month now.

The Cube 29er Race 2X thingy looks a good deal at what will effectively work out at £600-700.

Can’t get my head around the 27.5, 29er debate as I’ve not ridden either. For my riding I think a 29er would make more sense but I can’t help looking at the Bird TR3 which under the scheme would cost similar to the Cube.

Ignore my ramblings, nothing to see here. Just being hopeless. I think I spent less time choosing which house to buy!!

grumpster
    Free Member

Well – I need to eat my words.

I had an aversion to Giant and I wanted a 29er hardtail.

So I have bought……a Giant Anthem!! I was offered a really good deal, a quick ride around the block and I’m sold. Pick it up in a few weeks!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Bikes – hardtail 29er.’ is closed to new replies.