• This topic has 36 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by donks.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • BMX Horror Stories
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Im just picking the bits of step out my knee.

At 27, I think it’s pushing the realism of safety now.

When do I stop?

EdwardH

I’m 47 and still at it, there is at least one guy older than me at the local skate park.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m 33 and I bought a BMX with the excuse it was to fix up with my nephew. He lost intrest and I realised going into a meeting at work with a limp and a bruised chin I’m maybe past it or less dope than I was…

FOR SALE…
    FELT BMX , inc spare tubes £40 collect from Chester…

globalti
    Free Member

Grown men on BMXs? Why?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Really? I’m 40 and got my first BMX 4 months ago, bl88dy great fun, I ride it more than my MTBs now. I’m fitter faster and have learnt to jump properly since getting it, what’s not to like??

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Keep doing perhaps just ease off on the unturndowns. Nothing wrong with grown men on BMX

bikey
    Free Member

I am a BMX racer, not some rad trick star hanging out at the skatepark with the youths! I raced at my first BMX World Championships at the age of 44 and plan on racing at the next one in 2015 at the age of 47. My age group (45+) is one of the toughest classes to race in…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I suppose I don’t have an answer for the “What are you doing, a grown man, jumping down step on on a bike?” crowd.

I just pity them & the belief your age forces you to behave a certain way.

” No, YOU grow up”.

kayla1
    Free Member

Hey! It’s not just grown men at it. I’m waiting for this to arrive-

DK General Lee 24- it will be shown some TLC upon its arrival. I’m 40 in January 😀

takisawa2

I have a GT Performer in the shed.
    Chrome is a bit rusty, but its all there.
    In the garage I have a set of old coaster brake Tuff wheels…
    One day, the two will come together.
    I’m just waiting for my youngest to get in to BMX to give me an excuse. 😕

takisawa2
    age 46.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Think mines going up for sale because I never get to use it now the boys at school as my day off is a Tuesday. Love riding it though. And who cares what people think. I certainly don’t.

toys19
    Free Member

This thread is making want one again. 43 in a month.
    Any recommendations?

toppers3933
    Free Member

Mine?

mattk
    Free Member

The only people who seem to have an issue with adults on bmxs are other adults.

The kids are always really polite and well mannered, despite what the older generation might suggest. Once they realise your a beginner they give you loads of room and quite often some good advice. One lad spent ages trying to explain to me how to 360, still can’t manage it though.

Bmxs are great, every grown up should own one!

toys19
    Free Member

toppers you have one to sell? Tell me more?

jamj1974

It’s human powered with two wheels. What’s not to like?

Never too old!

EdwardH

+1 jamj1974. Its riding your bike, having a laugh.
    And as H G Wells said “my faith in mankind is always restored every time I see an adult on a bicycle”

noltae
    Free Member

Any MTBer who looks down on BMX is probably someone who totally sucks on their bike ..

waihiboy
    Free Member

aaah BMX…

i remember my yellow and blue raleigh mag burner..

thought i was cool one day riding round with the bars the wrong way (brake levers facing me) showing off on the school yard one sunday, hit some gravel, freaked out slammed the front break lever with my knee…

next thing i remember is a friend crying and shouting “wake up, wake up”…

ripped my chin open, bone exposed, 30 stitches and a nice scar.

thats my BMX memory

martinxyz
    Free Member

To question fun on a bmx when that person rides an mtb for the same reason is..well, not worth replying to.

Northwind

I sold mine- I realised that the only thing it was doing, was stopping me from getting another bmx which I’d also never ride. So I sold it, promised I definitely wasn’t going to use the money to buy another bike I wouldn’t ride, then instantly bought a Bird trials bike I never ride.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Its one of these.

It’s hardly been used. Replaced an older one earlier in the summer and then never got to actually ride it. Has been to the track maybe 3 times. It’s got a black Arcane bar and some hope lockon grips.

It’s not getting used which is such a shame but thems the breaks.
    £250

King-ocelot
    Free Member

If anyone wants to scratch the itch on the cheap I have a felt sector in orange for £40 it needs TLC

bikey
    Free Member

King-ocelot – Any photos? What size Felt Sector is it? Where are you based?

Matt

gonzy
    Free Member

careful you dont end up like this guy…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asYStYB_LR4[/video]

qwerty
    Free Member

😯

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

This thread is making want one again. 43 in a month.
    Any recommendations?

My mid-life crisis WeThePeople Trust; I’ve minced on it for 2 hours…other than that it’s brand spankin’ new.

A quick Google suggests that they’re going for £570 so at £300 it’s a snip!

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’m 35 and have felt too old for it for a long time now. Last new BMX I bought was in 2008 and that was a Floval Flyer. Rode all through my teens and mid twenties up to about 2004. After that it just lost its sheen and I can’t seem to relate to it anymore……
    Why do I keep buying 90s frames off ebay then?????
    On a side note, the Floval Flyer was probably the most disappointing bike I’ve ever ridden, felt absolutely dead.
    Would love an old Challenger or Quadangle though…

DezB
    Free Member

careful you dont end up like this guy…

Stressed after watching that!! Not the crash, but the way they picked him up and dumped him in the van. Be surprised if he can ever walk without a limp!

toby1

I’m sitting on mine (horror story that is). Came off the back of the bike on a ramp and it’s assumed I split the vein near my coccyx, about a pint of blood then flooded into my left butt cheek, queue some mental bruising and swelling, a doctor who was impressed at the largest heamatoma he has ever seen and the now permanent bulge I have left there.

I actually planned to get the bike back out yesterday for a spin on the Royston track, but I ended up going for a longish run instead in prep for a 10k on Sunday. Soon though it’ll be back out on track as it’s a great way to get a bit of short sharp riding fun.

wilko1999
    Free Member

‘Short sharp riding fun’ – couldn’t agree more. I spend a couple of lunchtimes a week riding my local BMX track and its absolutely exhausting but an intense hit of sprinting, pumping and jumping fun condensed into an hour.

HansRey

that saracen looks very nice. I can’t justify another bike though!

gonzy
    Free Member

Be surprised if he can ever walk without a limp!

you mean like this one? 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAfhWsHLxL8[/video]

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

[video]http:// Twins of 4 years old riding BMX – Insane!: http://youtu.be/PA9Ubbtfvsk%5B/video%5D

gonzy
    Free Member

Twins of 4 years old riding BMX – Insane!

how to make the entire STW collective feel completely inadequate over their biking skills!! 😯

toby1

Those 2 kids are brilliant, I reckon there’s a real brotherly competition that pushes them to ride harder than each other, Brownlee’s of the BMX future?

donks
    Free Member

I spent the last year and a half riding bmx (40) but decided to get back on something a bit more versatile so got a santacruz chameleon and ride single speed. Well it’s true they really are like a big bmx. I still mess around at the skatepark if I’m passing and I can almost do everything I could on a bmx on the chameleon. I reckon I can hop manual the 26″ better and can manual it till I run out of road now…. Possibly due to riding bmx for a while? One thing I’ve learnt though is that mtb wheels just aren’t built to take the skate park and I’m on my third back wheel now. Looking for a decent pump track to play on but there doesn’t seem to be any around my way (Milton Keynes) unless anyone knows of one?

Just to jump on the sellers bandwagon I have a wethepeople trust for sale £150 Ono?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘BMX Horror Stories’ is closed to new replies.