Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BMX help
  • lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    My son (11 years old) wants a bmx so he can throw himself around on that with his mates, apparently riding with me over surrey hills is now boring 😯

I have no idea about bmx’s so need a bit of advice on what to look for, he quite likes the KHE Shola LT, and the Sunday Funday ❗ so feed me with all the technical info I need so that I know what to look for, hubs cranks wheels

cheers

TheBrick
    Free Member

We the people have excellent value complete bikes. Sunday bike are good but $$$.

Kids are loving high and wide bars on BMX at the moment, pivotal seat posts, (also very short), ultra low frames, plastic pedals and no brakes. Although personally I’d never run no brakes, it’s a big fashion thing for 99%

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1) BMX is suprisingly expensive, £1000+ off the shelf complete bikes arent uncommon.

2) BMX is supprisingly cheep as thers less uninformed snobbery about materials. As a general rule CrMo (aka 4130 or reynolds 520/525 in the MTB world) is as good as most bikes get, and stuff in the £250-£350 braket get progressively more CrMo and less hi-ten (which is the stuff supermarket MTB’s are made from). Its a bit like buying an reynolds 853 mountainbike, odds are its a few tubes with 4130 or similar where its not needed. In BMX it’s more often Cr-Mo with hi-ten where the strength isnt needed.

toys19
    Free Member
    Edric64
    Free Member

Although personally I’d never run no brakes, it’s a big fashion thing for 99%

Ridden on the road it’s illegal and dangerous.It amazes me how many parents let kids ride brakeless on the road

TheBrick
    Free Member

I can see why some pros might do it, but when they get to skateparks, they have a private session.

A boy in my Parents village died at a cross roads riding with no brakes. It may not have made a difference as he pulled out into the road from behind a wall but I can’t help wonder if slowing was easier, i.e he had a brake, he would have been less likely to roll out as loosing momentum would be easier.

I run two brakes but I’m old and have delusions if one day becoming Rob Ridge.

Back on topic avoid WinstanleysBMX, several friend have had nothing but problems dealing with them.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

cheers for the info guys, didn’t realise they sold them with no brakes!!! He’s crazy enough with brakes when he decides to use them so there is no way i’d trust him without them 😆

ziggy
    Free Member

All new bikes have to come with 2 working brakes to conform to BS 6102, the WTP bikes we sell sell come with a really crappy sidepull front brake so it’s legal to sell. alot of frames now have removable brake bosses.

As for the bike, I’d look at WTP, Kink or Fit, all are good value and of course most importantly, still cool.

My lad has now turned to BMX, don’t dispair though, of my riding buddies the ones who were BMXers are usually the first down at the bottom of the hill.

donks
    Free Member

I picked up a cracking Norco Nail BMX for my son on fleabay for 140 quid brand new only riden round the block by a bloke who clearly had no love for BMX. Wethepeople bikes are really good though. I had a session on a wtp Justice and thought it was great….. i really want one now but cant afford 🙁

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Cheers ziggy, we the people are out as he doesn’t want to be the same as everyone else at his school…..a sheep he is not ha ha

I will have a look at Kink and Fit with him, what are KHE’s like? i’m still stuck in the 80’s when it comes to these with great memories of my old skyway

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BMX help’ is closed to new replies.