Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • BMX for a tall bloke trying to show off in front of his lad
  • twistedpencil

Spent the last six months trying to get my head around 29ers in the quest for a new bike. Dirt magazine has thrown another bike into the mix with the Intense Tracer review to go with countless others, Alpine 160, Nicolai…. I’ll stop there as my little lad has shown me the future, 20″…

He’s just got off stabilisers (devils work, his little sister is going from balance bike to pedalling) and just shy of his fourth birthday is rocking the local bmx track.

Now I thought I should look at Dirt Jump bikes due to being 6’4″ however I think a bmx would be more fun. Question is which one, they all look the same to me, but have been pointed towards a Haro 124 or, just to confuse matters, the Haro Pro 24 (with 24″ wheels, what is it with wheel sizes on bikes?). Now I’m unlikely to be entering races so suspect that the 24″ wheels are not much of a benefit to me.

Apologies in advance I know I’m on the wrong forum, way to scared to venture onto bmx forums yet, but what I need now is educating as to which bmx to buy…

I’ll come back next year with ‘What All-mountain wheel size do I need?’ promise.

Steve

GW
    Free Member

Any 20″po xxl race bike if it’s for the track only

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re in the north west and dont mind collecting, Ive got a Fly Pantera that would probably do. Long top tube (im 6 foot 2) and big bars make it a decent size for someone tall.

pickle
    Free Member

You’ll need one with a 21″ top tube length to make if feel roomy enough for you. you’ll not have much luck with completes as most of them only go up to 20.5 at most and will feel quite cramped.

A good second hand job will be better

yunki
    Free Member

A good second hand job will be better

hehe.. you said handjob

xiphon
    Free Member

If you’re just larking about down the local track, then a 24″ wheeled cruiser will probably be most practical.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I bought a second hand country bikes park on the strength of it being a 21.7 top tube and built in germany from propper CrMo rather than a mix of hi-ten and CrMo you get on compete bikes for the same price. It’s brilliant!

I don’t get much chance to use it though, just a few hours at the pump track now and again which is a shame. Drop me an e-mail if you’re interested as I’d get more out of the money as a mountainbike.

twistedpencil

Sorry I’ve been absent, broke my hand on my commute into work on Wednesday morning, I had a falling out with a bus…

Thanks for the advice, I’ll be mulling over the purchase while the hand heals. So david and thisisnotaspoon I may contact you in the next month, I tend to ignore medical advice and get back on the bikes too soon.

Steve

lock
    Free Member

I’ve got a Subrosa 21 inch tt full bmx for sale ,big wide bars to got few scratches but hubs in good condition
    Email tonyberlin71@hotmail.com for pics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘BMX for a tall bloke trying to show off in front of his lad’ is closed to new replies.