Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • BMW R1200 GS
  • Archiedale
    Free Member

Anyone have experience with the above and tell me which models are the best or what to avoid. Plan tour Scotland and maybe Alps if time permits.

epicyclo

Can’t speak for the Alps, but unless you’re really tall, I can’t see much point in a R1200GS for Scotland. I’d use the bog standard roadster myself.

metalheart
    Free Member

I can’t see much point in a R1200GS for Scotland.

You see hunners of them up here though (especially on the west) all touratwatted up like it was a real adventure. Each to their own.

The problem with BM’s is that as they’re so common it doesn’t take much for them to come across as accident prone and manufacturers warranty being shoddy (and £4k repair bills required). It’s obvious that a bike that’s sold that many will have some problem bikes. What’s difficult is sifting through the mire and trying work out what’s true and what is just the haterz. It would appear that water cooled bikes are not as well built as the airheads. Not my cup of tea.

Isn’t there an owners website out there (I’m pretty sure there is) maybe take a look at that). Or ADVrider website?

pjm84
    Free Member

UKGSER..

I have the GSA so unable to offer any advice.

epicyclo

metalheart – Member
    ‘I can’t see much point in a R1200GS for Scotland.’
    You see hunners of them up here though (especially on the west) all touratwatted up like it was a real adventure. Each to their own.

Yeah, I see them adventuring through all the time.

Got an R100GS myself and it’s about as useful as tits on a bull in this country. An R80 would be a better bike for up here. There’s really not many places you can take something like an R1200GS where its high ground clearance and performance is of any use – open access doesn’t apply to vehicles. Most places where you legally can take a motorbike offroad in Scotland can be ridden easily on a rigid girder fork bike and in more comfort on a conventional bike.

If I was doing a Cape to Cape in Africa, maybe.

allthegear
    Free Member

I spent a lot of time earlier in the year looking at one and here’s what I learned…

You want a higher end model – the extras are worth it. That means an SE or an Alpine.
    Gear shift Assist Pro (being able to change up and down the gears without using the clutch) is one of the best things in the World.
    You need something to make the sidestand foot bigger if you plan to stop on anything other than hard ground
    The panniers are very, very clever

Of course, all this should be taken with a pinch of salt as, in the end, I bought an S1000XR. As soon as I had my first test ride on one after the GS, I knew I was hooked…

Rachel

epicyclo

allthegear – Member
    …Gear shift Assist Pro (being able to change up and down the gears without using the clutch) is one of the best things in the World…

Had that useful feature on this:

Sprunghub 1948 Triumph Thunderbird – which I took over the Corrieyairack back in the late 60s before they sanitised it.

dgb1
    Free Member

Yep, ukgser for all the low down.
    As to what’s best, well that depends on your budget and preferences.
    I have a 2010 GS TC. Personally, I think it’s great. The TC or twin cam introduced in late 2009 are better than the 2005 onward models from an engine point of view. Early 1200 GS’s had issues with final drives eating themselves and/or spewing oil. It seems to have been sorted by the time the TC was introduced – or at least I hope so!
    Newer LC or liquid cooled are problematic too in different ways and the build quality seems to be so so.

All are capable of high mileage provided they have been looked after – then again I suppose you could say that of most things.

Best advice I’d give is if you’re looking at one bring someone who knows a thing or two about them along with you.

nickhart
    Free Member

Can’t comment as am on a pre abs 1150gs which suits me at the moment. Am looking to update hopefully and will be testing gs GSA and xr, be interested on your thoughts allthegear?
    At present am happy with air cooled lumpiness and the fact I can service it with the original tool kit in my garage without the need for a computing degree! Also I can take it offroad (have done) and not wince every time I go over a bigger than I thought step!

footflaps

I went from a VFR750 to a R1100GS and personally the VFR750 was a much better mile muncher on roads for touring. More comfortable and less wind noise. The only advantage of the GS was better visibility over dry stone walls etc on tight country roads, but other than that, I regretted the change and wished I’d kept the VFR.

craigxxl
    Free Member

If you don’t intend on taking the bike off-road but want the upright riding position then take a serious look at the Honda Crosstourer which had had some great reviews and especially with the DCT gearbox. If you want something sportier then the Truimph Explorer.

br
    Free Member

I went from a VFR750 to a R1100GS and personally the VFR750 was a much better mile muncher on roads for touring. More comfortable and less wind noise. The only advantage of the GS was better visibility over dry stone walls etc on tight country roads, but other than that, I regretted the change and wished I’d kept the VFR.

I did the opposite, went from a Tiger 1050 to a Sprint GT. Bought/used for commuting and the main problem with the Tiger was that the bars were the same height as far too many cars mirrors so very hard work when filtering.

allthegear
    Free Member

Nickhart – the only reasons to buy a GSA over and XR are sensible ones. And who buys a motorbike with a sensible head on???

Ride them both. Most dealers seem really happy to lend out test bikes for a good full day.

Rachel

Archiedale
    Free Member

thks all, its a can of worms…just like buying a pedaller !!

iamtheresurrection

I’d be wary of buying one privately, and would go to a main dealer with a proper warranty (BMWs own and Honda Happiness are good warranties).

There’s been around ten recalls on them in total, make sure they’ve all been done for the model you buy. Fuel senders tend to pack in a lot, as does the electrics on active suspension and gearbox seals often leak.

Engine covers corrode, general fasteners are made of cheese and they hate the salt. Check for corrosion around the spokes, especially at the hub end: on anything that’s not been cherised you’ll find a lot of corrosion under the paint there too. They seem to eat brake padS…

They are great bikes, excellent balance and manouverability for such a big bike. Owners love them. Wouldn’t touch one outside of manufacturers warranty or good dealer warranty though.

That said, I’d take a 990 Adventurer for offroad, or a Crosstourer on-road over the GS personally (not saying the KTM isn’t without problems either).

mrmoofo

I used to live in the Alps … and had a GSA 1150
    Brilliant bikes for hacking round the passes, can’t think go a better die.
    I never gelled with the 1200 version … and wifey no longer does the motorbike thing, so now have a Diavel

siwhite
    Free Member

I rode GSes for a couple of years – an F650GS as my first bike post test, and F800GS after a few months and then an R1200GSA to scratch an itch. I sold up three years ago when we bought a renovation house.

If I were buying again (unlikely ATM with our first nipper three weeks away…) I’d have another F800GS – probably the Adventure with higher screen and bigger fuel capacity. It’s a lovely bike, far easier to manhandle than a 1200, and gives great fuel economy (60+ mpg). Luggage is good – try for the aluminium boxes rather than the vario.

I’d also look closely at the new Africa Twin, particularly the DCT version.

Test ride them all – the dealers are very accommodating – and see which you prefer.

biglee1

I had a 04 GS and the final drive worry caused me to get rid about 6 years ago. Ive now got a Triumph Explorer ’12 plate. Had a go last year on a demo WC GS and really did wonder what I saw in my original one compared to the Triumph 😀
    I`d suggest test riding an Explorer, imo a FAR better engine 😀

Good luck and enjoy the searching 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

siwhite – funny you should mention the F800GS Adventure with the bigger tank etc. My old one is now for sale at Balderston’s in Peterborough. Brilliant bike.

Rachel

epicyclo

My previous comments probably show a bit of prejudice against the late R series GSes, but probably for use in the EU my misgivings are not relevant, and there’s no reason not to get one.

What concerns me about the current crop of big adventure bikes is their unrepairability in the back of beyond.

In Oz the old airheads had a good reputation, so many of the lads upgraded to the R1100GS onwards only to discover they were a lot more fragile and prone to crankcase fractures – the lack of a proper frame meant the engine took the full impact, and its sump guard was derisory seeing as it was fixed to the crankcase and not an external frame. There were also a number of crankcase fractures where there had not been an impact, but the bike had been ridden hard offroad for long distances (common up my way). BMW didn’t give any support, so a lot of the lads dumped the GSes and either went back to the airheads (and paid silly prices – check it out) or went for a different brand.

I haven’t taken much interest in BMWs since that, but maybe they have attended to these problems.

If you’re tall, the current GS makes a nice comfortable roadbike for rough roads, but there’s no way I’d take one to the back of beyond. The F series GS look like a much better bike for the purpose than any of the R series GSes now.

It’s a bit like what people are discovering with gravel bikes – you really don’t need the full on gear for most offroad riding if you are not racing. It’s also easier to push a light bike through a couple of kilometers of axle deep mud in the wet season. 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s also easier to push a light bike through a couple of kilometers of axle deep mud in the wet season.

— and the reason I will be on the lookout for something like a tall 250 to 450cc dual sport / enduro kind of thing to go with the XR towards the end of the year. Something I am happy to repeatedly drop and pick up on some dreadful track in the middle of nowhere.

Rachel

metalheart
    Free Member

Are you dead set on an BM’s? I mean, other manufacturers are available…

I know GS’s are popular (and I’ve never actually ridden one… 😳 ) but there’s feeling out there in internetland that they are overpriced and not particularly reliable these days (seems to be backed up by people who do have actual experience ^^^). Engines are reputed to be a touch agricultural as well (vibey).

If its shaft drive you want then there’s the Yamaha Super Tenere (S10) and the Triumph Explorer. There’s even a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. S10 can be had cheap, if you look hard enough you should be able to get one new for <£10k. Engine mapping can be an issue (owners seem to get them flashed though). The Trumpet had issues initially (I forget what exactly, but engine) and the biggest problem are the dealers, they seem to have swallowed the BM handbook on that score… Enough to put me off, but that’s me. Also their warranty can be sticky if internet tales be true. MG’s are a labour of love, also reputed to be vibey but seeing the bike lurch from side to side on ideal is always worth a giggle.

Non shaft there’s the new Honda AT. Its a bit more off road biased but its physically smaller and lighter than a GS. Still pretty tall though. Personally I don’t need a 21″ front wheel (or spokes if I’m honest). The DCT though seems to be highly regarded. Having travelled the back road from Loch Inver to Achultibuie I can see its uses!

There’s also the Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (which I have) and there have been issues with low rev stalling and electrics (but there’s been a recall for that). Again its pretty small in comparison to a GS, but not drastically bigger than the DL650. Nice big V-Twin, more road orientated. Then there’s the Kawasaki Versys 1000. Very much road orientated (straight 4).

You also have various Ducatis (not cheap) or KTM’s (ditto) but both vees. I’m sure I’ve missed some out but hey, it’s lunchtime.

Do you actually really need a big bike? Tiger 800 also worth a look. Or the Yamaha MT09 variant? A versys or Strom 650 would be capable enough if solo (people have pillioned both).

If its Scotland and the Alps you could do them all on a Bonneville or a Harley… 😳

allthegear
    Free Member

I do love the standard STW response to “which X should I be looking at?” being “no – you want to think about all these types of Y” 😕

Rachel

metalheart
    Free Member

“which X should I be looking at?” “no – you want to think about all these types of Y”

Well, it needed to be said :mrgreen:

Besides iirc you were suggesting a F800 and a XR which are also Y’s. (pot kettle black).

What’s more I think we’ve pretty much established that GS’s are all shit anyways… < / 😀 >

br
    Free Member

Well, it needed to be said

I do reckon (totally unsubstantiated though) that GS’s and the like are mostly bought by non-bikers who’ve passed their tests late in life 🙂

epicyclo

allthegear – Member
    …Something I am happy to repeatedly drop and pick up on some dreadful track in the middle of nowhere…

That just about describes my idea of a proper offroad ride. 🙂

Which is why I don’t like pretend adventure bikes that can’t take that treatment.

These days, if I was doing another long range ride (>5,000km) in Oz, I’d get a big traillie, something like the Suzuki DR650 prepared by Vic Strang. These are the sort of bikes you see in the real adventure country, not BMWs.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘BMW R1200 GS’ is closed to new replies.