Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Blur, Zesty or Orange…decisions decisions
  • grantway
    Free Member

+ 1 for the Orange 5 bought mine in 08 in there first AM package
    never looked back and A1 for Wales and just eats up everything
    Simple it maybe but out of my group of riders the only bike to
    bring back with no bearing issues.

Have not tried a Blur but the Blur LT would be the one to go
    for thats if you can get a test ride hs sold as a frame only.

Not tried the Zesty but is up there with the 5 to a degree

Best get a test ride and have fun

orangefive
    Free Member

ummm 😀

currymad
    Free Member

So -curry finished, back to work!

What I do like is the option with Orange and the Blur, is the option to buy just the frame.

I have acquired some nice bits and pieces, wheels, forks etc.

As I said earlier, a friend from the US is going on about the Blur LT Carbon and when buying from a well known US store for $1899 (£1218 on XE just now)seems quite tempting even taking import duty into account, as they currently retail here for £2499 – ouch! It would seem a good buy, but not British and service etc an unknown for me at least.
    Can anybody shed light on Santa Cruz customer service, parts etc, and even if a US frame would be covered over here?

ricardo666
    Free Member

This year I had visions of upgrading my bike from an old gary fisher sugar,.
    So visited some of the demo days available at coed brenin and Llandegla.

I tried the Lapierre 714 at cyb and it rode really well, the orange five was solid, but the demo bike i rode had 160mm forks which i though were too long for the xc riding i do.

At llandegla i rode a santa cruz blur lt2 and found it utter rubbish. tyres were awful, round corners was sketchy and wouldnt track in a straight line,

I am a shortie so took a small out and found the top tube too short. and was sitting upright.Also the brake levers and gear levers not set up right. The orange 5 was the winner as well as having a play on a yeti asr5 carbon and alloy and loved them both.

currymad
    Free Member

orangefive….nuff said !

fivespot
    Free Member

currymad….Have you thought about an Alpine 160 ? I can’t comment on the Zesty or Blur, but I do own 2010 5 & 160 (both built-up from secondhand frames) The 5 is very good yes, The 160 is outstanding, not just on the downs, but also climbs very well too, even with 170 Lyriks.

currymad
    Free Member

fivespot – I just think that for my riding, 140mm travel frame is the maximum I need, so think the Alpine 160 would be just too much bike.
    The thing with 2nd hand frames and the saving had, buying top parts is good I think, as long as you know the frame hasn’t been really thrashed or is structurally unsound. I guess similar to buying a car..and in the mean time they are getting almost as expensive !!
    Cheers anyway

nasher
    Free Member

what about this Italian beaut

nasher
    Free Member

MDE bikesAnd if you want a single pivot…

Bikes are MDE, The italian equivelant of Orange, except they make a much wider range, hand made in Turin, so notthe cheapest but still cheaoper than Santa cruz despite them being made in Taiwan..

currymad
    Free Member

Looks good, but I want to stick to well known bikes with lots of real rider reviews, just as what has been given here following my initial call for help.

Cheers

Beagleboy

Hey Mr Curry,

Interesting what a few folk have said about sizing for the Five. I’m on my 2nd Five, having snapped my 18inch 06′ model last year. I’m 6ft 1in, but with stumpy wee 32in legs, so the new Five’s dropped top-tube design was a godsend. I’m now riding a 20in Five. The old one snapped at the top tube, seat tube weld, pretty much because I’m a chunky lad and was running it with a lot of seatpost showing.

Go have a test ride on one, I think you’ll love it, but then I do have quite a few Orange’s in the garage. 😀 Or, if you live anywhere near Stirling, gimme a shout and you can have mine for the day while I show you my local trails.
    B. 🙂

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Santa Cruz in the US are actually very helpful if you ever have any queries with anything, as they replied to me on the same day when I once asked them about shock tunes.
    Jungle can be good too, and it’s nice to know that they offer crash replacements for non-warranty issues with frames.
    Also, you can order tools, bearings, hardware, stickers etc direct from the UK Santa Cruz website.

Orange are similarly excellent for all of the same reasons, PLUS they offer factory refurbishments further down the line once the frame starts looking scruffy. I just had my 224 redone by them and it is first rate work with new paint, stickers, bearings and all of the necessary prep done. 8)

jedi

i heard that jungle are very good to deal with 🙂

currymad
    Free Member

Mr Beagleboy…

Thanks very much for your kind offer and Orange experience – a couple of years ago I would have snapped your hand off as I was living in that lovely city Edinburgh, and was often up around Stirling.
    Now in the West country, so a bit far, cheers.

Skidsareforkids – hi, I’m still missing those forks !! That black Blur Carbon of yours looks great, and encouraging to hear that SC and Jungle offer a good service..

The Blur Carbon from the US is really tempting especially at the price of around £1220 – if they both rode similarly good , is not the Blurs lighter stiffer frame a better buy guys?

I shall test the Orange and Blur in the next week and hope to have narrowed it down to one!

leystan
    Free Member

I own a Blur LT2 and love it. I’m 6’2″ and have a Large. I could not imagine a medium but could be tempted by an xl.

Most important thing: enjoy the selection process!

currymad
    Free Member

leystan – thanks, at 6 ft, I am spot on with the large according to their website, and although I haven’t ridden one yet, the size felt perfect when sitting on it.

As a matter of interest, what fork etc are you running?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Anyone got a link or pics of all these zestys that have been “snapping”, and I mean relevant ones i.e ’09 onwards. Have had my 314 for 15 months now and apart from the BB issue its been through all conditions all year and never skipped a beat, only downside has been the frankly atrocious Formula brakes which I swapped for XT’s within a couple of months. Gotta admit, loved the comment about them being MBUK fad bikes, STW wisdom at its best.

TomZesty
    Free Member

No prizes for guessing what I’m going to say. Mines been brilliant, but all these are quality bikes that will perform more or less equally well, I just think the Zesty is the best value for money. Fives are really nice but too expensive for me!

currymad
    Free Member

Did somebody say that Zestys have been breaking – I can’t remember reading that here.

I think the responses have been really positive for these 3 bikes – a lot for Orange but not in a bad way. For me, just because it is popular or ‘fashionable’ it doesn’t mean it is not good. I certainly wouldn’t buy a bike just to be different, or dismiss a bike because it’s popular (if popular with seasoned riders who recognize quality). Did not MBUK also award the Zesty best tech trail bike?

Anyway, thanks to all for your advice – really helpful, and will update shortly once I have decided, in case it is helpful to anybody else.

Cheers

Northwind

There’s definately been a few broken Zestys, think it was the 2009 model, made a bit worse by the fact that they’d sold them all so warranty replacements were slow. And a couple of the carbon swingarms too. But considering how many of the things that are out there, there weren’t that many reports, more than you’d hope but less than some people will have you believe.

If you want to talk reviews, MBR made the Zesty joint bike of the year along with the Five- which is the highest honour MBR can bestow, since they’re psychologically unable to give the Five anything less (quote last review- “The brakes don’t really work at all and the wheels are far too skinny and weak. Perfect! 10/10!”) :mrgreen:

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Try before you buy. I dont know what riding you do but I am surprised at those suggesting a 160mm forked am bike climbs well? I factored in the weight of the bike as I ride mostly Wales trail centers and Enduros so I went for the lighter bike. Zesty climbs like a 25lbs bike should. 5 tips the scales near 29lbs. No matter how you figure it going up hill with an extra 3 lbs will make you slower. Lighter bikes also accelerate a lot faster on trails.

Paceman
    Free Member

Pace RC405 If you’re considering frame only, better value IMO.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Hmm..Pace RC405 is an interesting suggestion. I used to have one, as well as my 2009 Five. Personally, I could never get that comfortable on the 405, even after trying loads of different stem/seatpost combos. In the end, I found that I just kept defaulting to the Five.

Only my opinion, but I think the Pace was an awesome climber (with right shock pressure, easily as good as my Anthem X). However, I think the descending capability of the bike was spoilt by its comparatively short front-centre, which just accentuated the steep(ish) head angle. Other thing that surprised me was the weight – it was a decent chunk heavier than my 2010 Five frame. Having said that, I think it rode quite lightly (if that makes sense!), and if you fit the frame, I’m sure you’d find it fun. (oh, just keep an eye on its pivots tho!). Just remebered Curryman has an EX9 – well (again only my opinion), but the EX9 and RC405 are very similar in character – 405 is quicker on climbs than EX, but def not as stiff, or as light, or quite so good on descents (though the latter is fork dependant – DT XMC130…..yak!!). 405 will get more looks in the car park though – if you like that sort of thing 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

My Pace RC405 comes in at 27-27.5 lbs depending on winter/summer tyre choice, fitted with Fox 140 Float forks, Hope Hoops, Hope Mono Minis, XT drivetrain, RF Deus finishing kit. Very competitive weight compared to an Orange 5 Pro which I also demo’d. Would happily have taken either home but the Pace was better value, especially now Chain Reaction are selling medium 405 frames at £798. A good spec build could be had for around £2000 at that price.

Also tried the Blur for a quick 20 min spin on Whytes Level at Afan (my mate was having a demo). Great downhill but didn’t get a chance to do much climbing on it.

The Zesty looks killer value but not tried it. Generally prefer to buy British and also not keen on Lappiere’s graphics.

Yeti ASR 5 is also on my “must try” list.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Wow, CRC’s price for the 405 is very good. As far as comparative weight goes, the original build on my Five was coming in at 27 to 27.5 lbs, FWIR this was with Pro 2/Stans 355 wheels, Mini brakes, XT drivetrain, Rev team dual air forks, carbon bars. However, as I’d bought the frame with the intention of keeping it as my ‘rough ride’ bike, I’ve swapped over to Pro 3 AM/Flow wheels, M4 brakes, fatter tyres, flat pedals, chunky stem – so in its current build, it’s probably 29+ lbs (though with the latest tune on the shock, it still feels at least as good as the EX uphill, which I find pleasantly surprising!).

Very pleased with the Pro 3 SP-AM4 wheels btw, really seem to suit the Five.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

– Can anybody shed light on Santa Cruz customer service, parts etc, and even if a US frame would be covered over here?

Try giving Stiff bikes a ring, they’ll know for sure.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had my Blur LT2 for 2.5 years and can’t fault it. It just makes me smile on anything from miles of fireroad to big rocky descents in the Cairngorms. I like changing stuff generall but the only thing I would consider ATM is a LTc. It’s also incredibily robust having been piled up into rocks more times than I would like to admit with no damage.

I reckon a lot of people who may not rate the Blur LT tried the original version rather than the LT2 which is a pretty different bike.

As for maintenance, my pivot bearings have needed nothing more in 2.5 years than a few pumps with the supplied grease gun 3-4 times a year, and a couple of tweaks with an allen key. The lower shock bushing failed a couple of times early on because of some sub standard supply issues (mine was a very early model). No problems now over a year and half. Customer service from my LBS Bothy Bikes and I assume in the background SC UK has been outstanding – can’t fault either

The reasons for not considering a 5 when I bought the LT2 was that it was single pivot and IMO just too ugly. Be careful about importing – you will get done for import duty and VAT on top of that and the warranty will probably not be valid. FWIW this is mine

My Blur LT2 Aug 2010 by CaptainMainwaring1, on Flickr

stumpy01

I take it you aren’t considering a Stumpjumper fsr? The 2011 ones look pretty good and come with 2×10 drivetrain with bash, carbon SRAM cranks etc.
    Or the Stumpjumper Evo if you wanted something a bit more ‘gnar’…..

Since I bought my 2010 Elite, I think I’ve only seen about 4 others out and about so for such a Mondeo bike, they seem quite exclusive. Certainly seen more 5’s and Santa Cruz’s out and about.

They ride really well, up & down and it’s way more capable downhill than I am so I am not sure how qualified I am to critique it on it’s limits.

I wouldn’t rule one out, particularly as you mention customer service. I had an issue with the paint on my alloy frame and they warrantied it without question for the carbon version with the Brain shock. Here’s some gratuitous pics:

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Zesty or Five.

Ride them both, buy the one that fits/feels better.

That is all.

😀

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Nice selection of photos from where Orange do some of their testing with guides who all use Orange for a very good reason – reliability and ability to handle the rough stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlandsian/collections/72157625153713061/

PJM1974
    Free Member

Ride as many as you can…

Ideally I’d have the Santa Cruz and the Orange, but then that would be being greedy.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ride as many as you can…

Think I will adopt that as my moto, oh were talking about bikes………..

currymad
    Free Member

stumpy01 – cheers, that’s a great looking bike too, with good reviews and I’ve heard Specialized have a good warranty too.

I have decided to get just a frame and build it up with goodies of choice 🙂 , and the Stumpy seems to be only in Carbon and even more that the Blur!

I rode a friends Blur today and it felt very good, although the geometry was unusual for me, as quite different from my EX9
    ( tall and short was my impression) even in size large – I’m 6ft with 32.5 inside leg.

CaptainMainwaring , interesting post thanks.
    It does seem a good all round bike, and apparently low maintenance ( big + for me!)
    I friend likened the Orange to a Russian cleaning lady – not pretty but useful….apologies to all Russians and cleaning ladies,it’s a horrible generalisation but it did make me laugh.
    Also, a very good point about buying from abroad, but so tempting with Blur LTc at £1250 ( before taxes etc) but warranty is really valid point.
    I will try an Orange over the weekend, and pull the trigger quickly after before more bikes come into the equation…

Jeffus
    Free Member

The Blur LT2 climbs better than the five on technical stuff, the 5 is so much better going down hill,and for me a bike that gives you more confidence, in technical situations, I have a new 5 and I have owned a Heckler and Nomad and test rode several Blurs Lt2’s for me the 5 gives the most rewarding ride of them all, the Nomad was also a fantastic bike, which was probably more capable than the 5 but you never felt the same good feeling after the ride, it was too good for your normal trails.
    I’m running my 5 with a Float 36rc2 taper fork set to 140mm, and a maxle back end, a solid ride, and so much fun. 🙂

leystan
    Free Member

leystan – thanks, at 6 ft, I am spot on with the large according to their website, and although I haven’t ridden one yet, the size felt perfect when sitting on it.
    As a matter of interest, what fork etc are you running?

I went for the SPX XC spec option (see SC website) +140mm fox float 32 rlc. Happy with it all except stem is a tad too long + the carbon bars feel a bit ‘dead’ to me – easy to rectify. Beware SC reserve the right to substitute stuff on their spec lists for similar. Not a big deal but when you’ve agonised/dribbled for ages a diversion from expevtation can be a curve ball. Worth double checking exactly what you’re collecting.

PS. I also know soneone who’s Zesty rear carbon triangle snapped (whilst it was on loan to a friend!)

Sancho
    Free Member

Jungle wont touch a US frame, its not their responsibility, if you buy a bike from america then that american dealer is your port of call for a warranty issue and that goes for the shock too, mojo wont want to know if that fails.

currymad
    Free Member

Sancho – yes, that is for me the main reason to not buy outside the UK, but the price is so tempting …resist resist…and I’m sure common sense will prevail.

Leystan – good point but I am going to get just the frame and build it up – I am busy buying fancy bits and bobs for it atm.

transporter13
    Free Member

does it have to be the most modern version?..scant has a frame for sale..btw I dont know scant

ivantate
    Free Member

My 5s have been ace, never been in a situation where it has been the weakest link! i think it looks amazing and also goes in my all UK garage nicely. 6’1 and i now have a 20″ frame after running an 18 for 3 years. Because its longer it mega stable and i can run a short stem for better control with a good pedalling position.

i bought a 5s and then put most the kit on a 456 frame, then built the 5 up with all the bits I wanted on it. Still running the Rockshox Recons as they performed ok for price to upgrade them/sale value.

Eventually I will do the forks, Revelation u-turn 150s would cover everything the 5 is best at.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’d say the warranty issues outweigh the savings made from buying in the U.S. and the unknowns over possible import duties could also be an issue.

Give the 5 a demo then make your choice, but buy in the UK if funds allow.

The Orange 5, along with other British designed full susses such as the Rc405, Hemlock etc, are not the prettiest bikes around. Especially compared to the swoopy tubes of the Blur etc. But there are a lot of us on here I imagine that appreciate these simple British designs that just work well and feel right on our trails.

You can’t really go wrong with your shortlist, sounds like you’re going to have fun with the build, and end up with a great bike. Let us know what you decide.

Paceman

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Blur, Zesty or Orange…decisions decisions’ is closed to new replies.