Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • BluePig or Mmmbop?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve earned some overtime money and fancy a new compact HT frame for playtime. I was deffo going to get a Summer Season but then Brant brought out these interesting Ragley frames…

So they’re basically the same geometry, frame features and price. The Blue is a kilo heavier but with a “springy” ride.

Based on looks alone, I’m liking the chunky lime Mmmbop over the more gusseted tangerine BluePig. Other pros and cons?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sringy ride from a heavy steel frame?

I doubt it.

richc
    Free Member

you ridden them then? or can you tell that from the CAD pictures?

nicko74

Does the Mmmbop really come with two steerer tubes? If so, I’d get that, and sell the spare for a bit of cash

poppa
    Free Member

A kilo? Seems like a big difference, is that due to the lower than average weight of the Alu frame?

nukeproof
    Free Member

you ridden them then? or can you tell that from the CAD pictures?

Well have you ridden them then? or can you tell that cynic-al is wrong from the CAD pictures?

cynic-al
    Free Member

richc – me? Of course not. It weighs 5.5lb though, I can’t see how it would ride “springy”

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

5.5lb vs 3.7lb (that is about a kilo isn’t it??) seems like a significant difference to me too.

zangolin
    Free Member

Is there a date when they will be available to buy? Are they going to be sold direct or through dealers?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

through CRC I’d imagine.

I’m sure Brant was trying to convince me on another thread that the alu one has more compliant seatstays due to the longer length/no disk mounts. But on another thread he was telling me there was no such thing as compliant seatstays on any bike. And MBUK says that the hemlock has stays made from spaggetti. Apparently it’s all in the designers skill when they spec the butted tubing, but then he went and gave us the summer season?

So from that I’ve decided never to buy another bike unless I’ve had a test ride on it. Anyway, how much better than the next best thing can any bike be, theres still 2 wheels?

DezB
    Free Member

5.5lbs? No wonder it’s called a Pig.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I’m not sure I could own a frame named after a Hansen song.

richc
    Free Member

Most steel frames are around that aren’t they? (or are going to be) I know my PA is, and the Alpine is heavier than that.

nbt

Is Brant’s next frame going to be called “Chipps’ Birthday Present” or “Rodwell End B”? I thought this was a thread about which Calderdale ride to do this weekend (Blue pig, personally)

clubber
    Free Member

The top tube is really what you should be looking at if you want to know how springy (from a comfort point of view) a frame will likely feel… (ignore damping properties of some materials like carbon).

Triangulated stays/seat tube/rear axle don’t leave a lot of room for flex no matter what the marketeers would like you to believe unless they’re silly skinny in which case it’ll probably be noodly under power unless they’re also seriously ovalised…

clubber
    Free Member

Most steel frames are around that aren’t they? (or are going to be) I know my PA is, and the Alpine is heavier than that.

Most of the ‘hardcore(ish) hardtails’ are, yes. And very few of them are stereotypical-steel springy since they’ve got beefed top and down tubes for long (5″+) forks

hora
    Free Member

I’m not sure I could own a frame named after a Hansen song.

The fact that you know that connection is more worrying?

CEN-cert frame’s mean they are going to be heavier though now?

ash

5.5lbs? No wonder it’s called a Pig

oh come on…. OK it’s not exactly an XC race machine but that is also not really very heavy for a strong*, chuckable steel frame

*assuming it is strong, of course

cynic-al
    Free Member

My steel HT feels springy at 4.2lb, whereas the inbred it replaced was noticably more dull feeling at 5lb.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I still don’t get this super slack head angle thing.

I fear change…

druidh
    Free Member

zangolin – Member
    Are they going to be sold direct or through dealers?

Some dealers will have them

phildowling
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    through CRC I’d imagine.

Correct..sort of..

Will also be available through a selected number of shops. We’ll be offering custom builds and will be running 2 demo’s

http://www.ride-bikes.com/products.php?plid=m2b148s27p0

compositepro
    Free Member

hora not necesarily everything will be heavier

hora
    Free Member

Slightly OT but why does the pre mkVI Chameleon always get marked down on bikemag tests? specifically mbr/mbuk. I still think its a singletrack/trailfriendly tool

compositepro
    Free Member

does anyone remember when you just bought a bike and beat the shit out of it till it broke

hora
    Free Member

does anyone remember when you just bought a bike and beat the shit out of it till it broke

🙄 8)

richc
    Free Member

Hora I doubt that question would ever been directed at you

hora
    Free Member

Have you broken a frame recently Richc? 😉

I have 8)

compositepro
    Free Member

it was a generalization

when i started riding people just used to buy gear and beat the crap out of it…twas a fun sport

richc
    Free Member

didn’t you break it building it up? not riding it?

Drac

I thought you were asking about trails to ride there, now I see the confusion.

DezB
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member
    I still don’t get this super slack head angle thing.

It’s better for pushing uphill. A bit like those super short stems.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well I have been paying homage to my existing HT – an 18″ ALU Mongoose Tyax (aka “Tank”) built up with some TORAs and big bars & stem by riding it.

About the only things not replaced through crash damage and wear is the frame. The thing is heavily scratched and dented, it’s probably indestructible. It’s currently upside down in my garage awaiting yet another mech and hanger replacement.

Just fancy another HT frame – something compact and modern for flinging about, with nice funky summer colour.

hora
    Free Member

didn’t you break it building it up?

Nope. Sure Pixies have keys to my house.

not riding it?

I think its my but-twirling large ass that caused the failure

ahwiles
    Free Member

steel-pig for me.

yes, steel frames are heavier, no, i’ve not really noticed any more give from steel stays over an ally frame, but short of riding it under a steam roller it should still be going in 10 years time.

i just like the idea of buying kit that lasts, and aluminium is just a bit ephemeral.

(i’d rather watch WRC than F1 – if that helps explain my position on these things)

bikes are ace, and brant is a bad man.

kimbers

fwiw my know lava dome much more springy ride than my muni mula

sonik
    Free Member

anyone know the prices for these?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Prices are showing on CRC. £275 I think.

nbt

Drac said I thought you were asking about trails to ride there, now I see the confusion.

I’ve done that joke further up. However I see that my jest about a new frame called rodwell is actually the truth, it’s the cross frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘BluePig or Mmmbop?’ is closed to new replies.