Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Blue Ray v DVD player
  • justa
    Free Member

I'm going to buy a new DVD player today – is it worth buying a Blue Ray ?

Just wondering if its worth it as I don't own any blue ray discs !

I've heard they play normal DVD's better – is this true or complete B******s ?

thanks

Drac

If your in the market then why not a Blu-ray and then start buying blu-rays from now on. Yes some do upscaling it's a small improvement but not great.

montylikesbeer

A blue ray player can play dvd's and upscale as well, so its a no brainer in my view.

Try this one:

sony S360

rossrobot
    Free Member

If you've got a HD ready tv and surround sound you do notice the difference, more so on big flashy blockbusters, less so on arty movies or TV box sets. If you're into gaming i'd suggest a PS3.

Drac

PS3 is a very good blu-ray player, multi-media device and a very good console as a bonus.

Taff
    Free Member

Blu ray if you're buying now but get one that upscale. Have a loom at blockbuster the video rental place, they do really good deals on some with blu rays as well. Failing that try richer sounds. If you go to currys etc make sure you price match

justa
    Free Member

thanks – noticed how cheap richer sounds are…

momo

Deffinately qorth going for blu ray IMO. The Sony sugested above is a really good player and can be had for around £100 if you shop around. Blockbuster were doing a really good deal recently with 5 blu rays with the player.

I bought a blu ray player in June last year and have been buying blu ray since then, picture quality and sound both much better than DVD.

The ps3 is not as good as the stand alone players now as blu ray tech has moved on quite a bit since the ps3 was released.

Drac

The ps3 is not as good as the stand alone players now as blu ray tech has moved on quite a bit since the ps3 was released.

Luckily so has the PS3.

dobo
    Free Member

sony s360 is great but just superseded by the s370, i have one and im impressed, if you have a fast internet connection then the s370 is the way to go, get love film too. a good deal on at amazon with free avatar and cable

quality is better with br but nowt wrong with dvd, i watch em still

l45key
    Free Member

I'm in the same dilemma, thinking about buying this one…

Ebuyer

Gets good reviews, cheap and seems to play anything as well as having USB port.

Joxster
    Free Member

I went over to Blu Ray two years ago with a combo machine that played HD and Blu Ray. What I found was the Blu Ray didn't play R1 discs if it's a R2 machine, that was a problem as 40% of my collection was R1. It also died so I got a standalone Blu Ray, to start with I didn't really notice a difference until I was at a mates house and watched a normal DVD. It was like going from video to DVD. My set up is run the audio via Coaxial to the amp and picture via HDMI to the TV. I also get my films from Lovefilm, it was a choice of stop buying DVDs or buy a bigger house(collection stands at 1800ish DVDs)

Pros: Better sound and picture quality, interactive menu
    Cons: Region encoded.

Drac

Like DVD players not all Blu-ray players are region encoded.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Blue Ray v DVD player’ is closed to new replies.