Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • blue pig v piglet
  • sam69
    Free Member

whats between these two bikes please?anybody ride any of them?

BillOddie

Blue Pig is a bit more AM where as the Piglet is a big more XC.

What you need/want would depend on where you ride.

I have a Blue Pig and rate it for the Peaks etc, likes anything steep. You have to bully it when the going is flatter though.

sam69
    Free Member

manily xc a few downhills thats all,do you think it would be a hard slog on a blue pig to do xc?

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s not ‘a hard slog’ – it’s just that the slack head angle feels a bit odd on the flat, especially if you want to change direction quickly, and frequently.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I looked over both frames, the Pig is definitely more burley and have seen one ridden fairly hard over jumps but it was also pedalled uphil no problem. The Piglet is a little lighter but still more than capable downhill. FWIW I bought a BFe as the recently discounted price was very compelling.

BadlyWiredDog

manily xc a few downhills thats all,do you think it would be a hard slog on a blue pig to do xc?

Pigs are okay for xc, they’re just a bit sort of, ‘not very interested’ on flatter terrain. And they build to around 30lb, so while the geometry is sorted for climbing, thanks to the seat tube angle, they don’t feel very spritely. So if you want a zippy, twitchy sort of thing, nooo…

It depends a bit, I think, on where and how you ride and whether you’re brutally strong. Unlike most of the posters here, I’m not super fit or particularly strong and struggled to get the Pig up my local Peak District climbs at a speed I was happy with. It would winch up things very competently, but it wouldn’t do it fast for me. It was great going downwards though.

Sorry if that’s a bit vague. One person’s idea of what’s acceptable isn’t necessarily the same as someone else’s.

float
    Free Member

i think the blue pig is the kind of bike you know you want (due to the head angle)

If you think you (and your trails) can do the slack head angle justice, get the BP. if your trails are a bit flatter, get the piglet. youll appreciate the steeper head angle.

Northwind

The only thing I couldn’t get past with the Pig is the weight- they are a big chunk of steel, for what would build into a superb allrounder bike. But it’ll still go up as well as down (I only tried a Pig for a short ride but the Bop had the same geometry and it was a really surprisingly good climber despite being as slack as goatse guy.)

sam69
    Free Member

ok guys thanks for some very good info ,i think i would find it hard om the pig has its manily flat xc i ride with the odd dhill but nothing to write home about

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Just built this up yesterday and had it’s first ride today

I would agree with what’s been said. If you’re coming from something lighter (most hard tails will feel lighter) you’ll notice the difference getting it uphill. It’s fine, but certainly not xc. Great fun going down though, it feels so assured through rocks etc. Haven’t weighed mine but would of though not much under 30lbs.

sam69
    Free Member

is the p7 a better ride then for xc?

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Can’t comment as I’ve not ridden one, but I think they’re quite heavy still.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

If you’re looking for something XC and you’ve been looking at steel frames, it has to be the soul. Look it up.

Northwind

Soul or one of its imitators, anyway. Or a Rocklobster? Or whatever the Cove one is.

Or a carbon 456 😉 More like a “proper steel ride” than most steel frames IME

chiefgrooveguru

Agreed. Soul does XC and can go pretty gnarr without being out of its depth. If I buy a full-sus bike to accompany mine for big, rough and fast stuff, it’ll be something like an Orange Alpine 160 or Cotic Rocket with 160s – I can’t see a shorter travel less slack full-sus being sufficiently better than my 140’d big tyred Soul in the gnarr to be worthwhile.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Do alot of XC on my blue pig no problem, build with a fork which has lockout and away you go.
    Can easy keep up with FS mates on the downhills.
    It feels light to me, then im used to dragging a 35lb FS round the trails too.
    Super adaptable and grin inducing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘blue pig v piglet’ is closed to new replies.