Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bloody maintenance, just ends up causing more problems!
  • ebennett

Sun is shining so thought I’d get out on the bike for a cheeky lunchtime ride, and then I find out that the shock I just had serviced is borked. Not only that, but the chain I fitted after only 300k on the new cassette is skipping too. Plan was to try and run 3 chains on the same cassette to maximise life, using each twice as some on here have suggested. Not even close to 0.75% wear and it’s bloody skipping! Will just run the whole drivetrain into the ground in future…

With the shock, it’s a Fox Float CTD without boost and the lever that switches between climb/trail, etc is completely floppy now and the shock feels twangy as f*** regardless of the rebound setting, so I’m guessing that’s gone too. It’s just over a year old and I had it serviced a few weeks back, I’m guessing I should contact the servicers 1st and then Fox if I have no joy with them?

Annoying thing is, I was thinking about changing it anyway but decided to get it serviced and get another year out of it. Wishing I’d just got a new one now…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I run 3 chains on turnover. It doesn’t ever skip. Have you looked to other causes?

ebennett

No, it’s definitely skipping. I’m guessing I just missed the point where I could have changed it.

takisawa2

Get someone to feather the rear brake as you pedal slowly, closely observing the chain as its entering & leaving each cog/chainring. Sometimes they need a bit of tension to behave as they are when your pedalling.
    Could be a stiff link or something.

Or, embrace the warm glow of fully rigid singlespeedering.

spawnofyorkshire

Just changed the chain and cassette on my CX bike and still getting skipping on certain gears. Worked out it’s the rear derailiuer springs that’s borked so installing a new one
    Chain and cassette were end of life anyway but interesting to see the skipping problem wasn’t alleviated, that was with full cable and outers change as well

crazy-legs

I popped into the LBS the other day to get them to look at the gears on my CX bike – internal cable routing makes it a pain and the whole lot was out of adjustment so it’s easier to get them to tweak it, they usually do it free of charge.

Next thing I know, looking at the bike on the workstand it needed new disc pads front & rear, a new chain and a new rear gear cable (and the labour necessary to take apart half the bike to recable it).

£90 later…

joshvegas
    Free Member

I love my singlespeed*

*and all my other bikes which ever flavour they are

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bloody maintenance, just ends up causing more problems!’ is closed to new replies.