Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bloody Injuries….
  • mactheknife

Last year i had a run of injuries, all running related.

Twisted/sprained ankle. then followed on by a horrible pain in my right calf which doc told me was a torn muscle. It took me 2 months to get running again.

Go for an early morning bimble today, nothing hard at all and i got the same symptoms now in my left calf. im sitting on my sofa and every time i start to walk there is a sharp pain near the top of my calf.

This is really starting to get on my nerves, i have been involved in many sports from about aged 14, im now 34. Is my body just saying it cant be arsed any more 😥

rewski
    Free Member

I share your pain, mine all off road bike realated: fractured scaphoid, then broken collarbone with plate and then a twisted ankle that still doesn’t feel right and now my knee is making funny grinding noises when I bend it. I’m 41.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yup, feel your pain. Never really been injured much until fairly recently, and when I was it was always easy to shake off. I’m 37 now and got tendinitis in both achilles (from running, tight calves and too little warm up work) and in one wrist (no not that wrist before anyone asks!) that are healing very slowly indeed.

Pretty much all the riders I know who are older than me are carrying long term niggling injuries… bad backs, knees problems etc. Maybe our bodies are trying to tell us something.

Been doing a lot of stretching recently to try and put a stop to the decline (can recommend Stretching by Bob Anderson) as well as more work on core strength. Something I’ve only done in a half arsed way in the past. Also quite tempted to give yoga or pilates a try too.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Likewise share your pain – just started a thread on calf issues as it happens! Have had 4 tendon problems since last March – as soon as one heals, another one goes somewhere else. Turned 30 last year and it was a stressful year and it seemed to really show in my body 😥

surfer
    Free Member

Is my body just saying it cant be arsed any more

I doubt it. I train with a lot of guys who are over 50 and some over 55 who are still very competitive. The eldest of the group was recently selected to represent England for the first time!

What you will find is that recovery from hard runs and interval sessions take longer, injuries are more common and frutratingly take longer to heal. You may find (as I do) that during an enforced layoff you put on weight quickly and it is more difficult to lose when you train again.

As you get older you need to be patient and reset your goals. My goal was a sub 70 min half and sub 26 mins for 5 when I was 34. I managed 1 and only just missed the other. At 34 your a youngster.
    I am 46 now but sub 27:30 for 5 is still my aim in the spring and that motivates me just as much as the earlier goal.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I had an ineligant dismount after a front wheel / wet log interface that resulted in a sprained ankle. A trip to A&E was made after being told to go there by the Walk-In Centre. They looked at it and said go home – will take a couple of days to a few weeks to heal. 8 weeks later it was still not healing so went to GP who sent me for an X-Ray. A week and a half was spent waiting for the X-Ray results which were that I have a fracture (hence not much going on in the healing department). GP then refers me to teh fracture clinic, who have done absolutely bugger all. I’m now in my 11th week after the injury, still in pain, still can’t walk properly and still waiting/chasing a bloody appointment. Mrs Feet is Livid. I’m completly pee’d off. And yet still we chase. Everyone seems to be asking why my ankle wasn’t X-Rayed in the first place – I have no idea why. All I know is that the NHS are (in this case) being crappier than a foot long floater in a trucker’s cafe bogs.

Yes, I’m not particularly happy

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I had a Rotator cuff injury in my shoulder caused by new wheel collapsing at Kirroughtree.

It’s more or less better now after 3 months or so, but still gyp’s me when climbing.

And folks wonder why I don’t care much for Stan’s rims?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bloody Injuries….’ is closed to new replies.